Erik Karlsson (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you win the Cup I think it's much easier to let him go with the understanding that the chances of the Sharks repeating will be quite small just in terms of luck and because of the talent lost.

You also have to look at what is the cost of letting him walk as well especially if the team doesn't win the Cup. You may not like his next contract but Karlsson more than anyone else that is a free agent gives this team a better chance at winning any given playoff series. We lose him and rely solely on Burns to be that gamebreaker since our offense funnels pucks to the net from the point, we're back to where we were last year and the years between Boyle tapering off and the Karlsson acquisition. We need two point guys to play the way we do and be effective.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
But EK65 has a history of injury. He has not been as impactful with the Sharks (due to missing almost half the season).

I would NOT give him a 8 year deal. I would not give him an 8-digit contract (IOW less than $10m/year). I don't know that I'd give him more than BB88.

Unfortunately, that means EK65 is going to walk then. I don't see him taking anything less than 8yr/80M.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
But EK65 has a history of injury. He has not been as impactful with the Sharks (due to missing almost half the season).

I would NOT give him a 8 year deal. I would not give him an 8-digit contract (IOW less than $10m/year). I don't know that I'd give him more than BB88.

Well then you’d be letting him walk over 1-2 years and 2-3 million. I don’t think that’s very smart to do with a player of Karlsson’s caliber.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know you don't want your team to think about this aspect too much, but - Do you think there is any hesitation to give EK something like 8x11 or 8x12 with Burns earning so much less? "Message it sends to the room and all that blah blah" that EK can conceivably make 50% more per year when Burns has been so much better in the playoffs / healthier / a shark for so much longer.

Burns played the first game of his contract when he was 32 and he will play the last game when he is 40.

If Karlsson signs an 8 year contract, he will play the first game of his contract at 29 and he will turn 37 during the Cup Finals of year 8.

That right there throws a wrench in all comparisons between the two.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sharks are the only team who can give him 8 years. Other teams can offer max 7.

Yes, I was referring more to the cap hit. You mentioned you wouldn't go above 10M and might not even go above the 8x8 Burns got. I think if that's the line in the sand that you would like to draw, he is 99.99% gone. Superstar defensemen at age 27/28 aren't going to accept deals that are 1-2M less per year than Drew Doughty.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I pretty much just assume if you don't sign in the first 6 months of being on a team, you aren't signing
"Chris Pronger and MacInnis both averaged over 35 minutes per game for the Blues in the 1999 post-season."

Jesus haha

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Trying to be more positive in life so I'm going to go with that EK65 is coming back but they are holding off announcement due to cap issues.

He's coming back and because of that others are not and they don't want the distraction

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Trying to be more positive in life so I'm going to go with that EK65 is coming back but they are holding off announcement due to cap issues.

He's coming back and because of that others are not and they don't want the distraction
itd be pretty awkward for ek65 to say hes coming back if it implies pavs is not cuz he signs something ridiculous like 8 years $104 million

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
If EK65 is willing to sign the same contract as Burns adjusted by age it’s not that hard to figure out. Burns is paid 10, 10, 10, 10, 7.5, 6.5, 5, 5 = 64 = 8 per year. EK65 is starting 3 years younger so, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 7.5 = 77.5 = 9.69 per year.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I want him for the contract he'll get. Outside of a two week stretch, he's been pretty disappointing. Not bad necessarily, but not what he was hyped up to be.

Don't know how much of it is the groin, but Burns has been infinitely better all 200 feet.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
If you win the Cup I think it's much easier to let him go with the understanding that the chances of the Sharks repeating will be quite small just in terms of luck and because of the talent lost.

You also have to look at what is the cost of letting him walk as well especially if the team doesn't win the Cup. You may not like his next contract but Karlsson more than anyone else that is a free agent gives this team a better chance at winning any given playoff series. We lose him and rely solely on Burns to be that gamebreaker since our offense funnels pucks to the net from the point, we're back to where we were last year and the years between Boyle tapering off and the Karlsson acquisition. We need two point guys to play the way we do and be effective.

Whatever happens this playoffs, I expect some tough decisions this offseason.

If Wilson keeps PDB, I expect them to reload and shoot for the moon again, whether that includes Karlsson, Pavelski, Thornton or not. I'm not a big fan of PDB, but I can respect his modus operandi and IMO it works best with a loaded roster. In this case, it'd make sense for Wilson to go hard on Karlsson and try for more Simek/Donskoi types.

If for some reason Wilson doesn't keep PDB, I'd assume it's because Karlsson likes the core, but asked for some changes. That or Thornton/Pavelski retires and Wilson wants to play faster. I think this is less likely though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not sure I want him for the contract he'll get. Outside of a two week stretch, he's been pretty disappointing. Not bad necessarily, but not what he was hyped up to be.

Don't know how much of it is the groin, but Burns has been infinitely better all 200 feet.

Not really sure how Sharks fans watch this team’s blueline and do not want Karlsson to stay.

It’s f***ing beautiful watching this team roll Vlasic, EK and Burns 3/4ths of the game.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whatever happens this playoffs, I expect some tough decisions this offseason.

If Wilson keeps PDB, I expect them to reload and shoot for the moon again, whether that includes Karlsson, Pavelski, Thornton or not. I'm not a big fan of PDB, but I can respect his modus operandi and IMO it works best with a loaded roster. In this case, it'd make sense for Wilson to go hard on Karlsson and try for more Simek/Donskoi types.

If for some reason Wilson doesn't keep PDB, I'd assume it's because Karlsson likes the core, but asked for some changes. That or Thornton/Pavelski retires and Wilson wants to play faster. I think this is less likely though.

It's pretty safe to say that PDB is staying. Wilson isn't the kind of GM to can a coach that put his team to the final four.

I also expect them to reload but there's less of a moon for them to shoot for with the moves they made for this run. To go with less assets to make available for big deals, there aren't as big of fishes in the trade market and it's tough for them to get anyone premier in the free agent market.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

2 week? Didn't he set the record for point streak for Sharks defensemen this season? Of was it for forwards and Dmen? I think there is some amnesia going on with some of you about what he looked like in the middle of the season when healthy and acclimated. He was dominant and worth whatever blank check Hasso decides to sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskanice

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's pretty safe to say that PDB is staying. Wilson isn't the kind of GM to can a coach that put his team to the final four.

I also expect them to reload but there's less of a moon for them to shoot for with the moves they made for this run. To go with less assets to make available for big deals, there aren't as big of fishes in the trade market and it's tough for them to get anyone premier in the free agent market.
Well, if they move past Jumbo, Pavs, Braun, Dell, Melker, maybe even Nyqvist then they might be able to afford someone like Duchene and keep EK65. Resign Heed and bring up some youngins they could still contend. Could middleton be a Dillon replacement on the cheap?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
2 week? Didn't he set the record for point streak for Sharks defensemen this season? Of what it for forwards and Dmen? I think there is some amnesia going on with some of you about what he looked like in the middle of the season when healthy and acclimated. He was dominant and worth whatever blank check Hasso decides to sign.
That was the two week stretch I was talking about?:huh:

Not really sure how Sharks fans watch this team’s blueline and do not want Karlsson to stay.

It’s ****ing beautiful watching this team roll Vlasic, EK and Burns 3/4ths of the game.
I said I'm not sure I want him for the Max term at 11+ mil he is going to get, not that I don't want him.

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
The longer he has 0 goals scored and keeps directly contributing to goals against the smaller that offer is going to get.
My fear is he realizes his game doesn't fit the western conference and he goes back east and never has another injury in his career.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

It’s ****ing beautiful watching this team roll Vlasic, EK and Burns 3/4ths of the game.
It is not really about wanting EK65 to stay or not. Most, if not all, of us want him to come back. The concern here is AAV and how it affects us down the road. And while his performance in the playoffs has not been the best, it is hard to know how much of that is related to his injury.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Well then you’d be letting him walk over 1-2 years and 2-3 million. I don’t think that’s very smart to do with a player of Karlsson’s caliber.

Depends on if you feel he's already overpaid at the level you'd accept paying him. With Burns making only 8M per year it's hard for me to really want to pay any Dman more than that. I understand salaries go up though and Burns signed a team friendly deal. Personally I think Karlsson would be overpaid at anything above 9.5M. I am very skeptical he'll ever return to the player he was prior to his foot injury. If we were signing him to 3-4 years at 11M I'd have no 2nd thoughts because worst case scenario he's a few million overpaid for a few years. 8 years though is a long time to be tied to an 11M contract. I understand people not wanting to sign him for that cap and term. If you don't have any concerns with that then you're probably living too much in the past or tare too much of an EK65 homer. I'd be happy for EK65 to remain in teal but I'll be nervous about that contract for pretty much the life of it due to the cap hit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on if you feel he's already overpaid at the level you'd accept paying him. With Burns making only 8M per year it's hard for me to really want to pay any Dman more than that. I understand salaries go up though and Burns signed a team friendly deal. Personally I think Karlsson would be overpaid at anything above 9.5M. I am very skeptical he'll ever return to the player he was prior to his foot injury. If we were signing him to 3-4 years at 11M I'd have no 2nd thoughts because worst case scenario he's a few million overpaid for a few years. 8 years though is a long time to be tied to an 11M contract. I understand people not wanting to sign him for that cap and term. If you don't have any concerns with that then you're probably living too much in the past or tare too much of an EK65 homer. I'd be happy for EK65 to remain in teal but I'll be nervous about that contract for pretty much the life of it due to the cap hit.

I understand people not wanting to sign him for that cap and term as well but I don't agree that those concerns are all that warranted. Also, saying those that disagree with you are homers is just bad-faith arguing.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I understand people not wanting to sign him for that cap and term as well but I don't agree that those concerns are all that warranted. Also, saying those that disagree with you are homers is just bad-faith arguing.

Not saying those that disagree with me, saying those that can't understand the concern. How can someone not have a concern with signing an 11M contract for 8 years on a guy who isn't playing at probably even 70% of his abilities? Contracts of that size can cripple a franchise for a while. I stand by that statement. If you have 0 concern with that contract and term then I don't think you're living in the present or you are an EK65 homer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad