Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread III - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wow, not sure I agree with a single line here. Who exactly on the Preds would you place above Subban? Im assuming Josi which leaves either Ekholm or Ellis as the 2nd one? I guess Josi might have a case here, but stating that either Ellis or Ekholm (though both are great players) are better than Subban is just silly.

Ekholm is better than Subban.

if we were talking about the leafs trading for Josi or Ekholm, I'd be all ears.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Your hate for subban is showing man. 3rd defenseman of our team? Come on guy. When Ellis(josi's partner)was out for half the seasons they took emelin and paired him up with pk not Josi because they know pk can play and still perform at a high level playing with alot lesser pairing partner while Josi can't. As much as I like Josi he hasn't played with a bad defenseman his whole career. Pk has and put up Norris caliber numbers in the process. I'm not giving pk all the credit but you have to give him some for bringing a team that never been out of the second round to the Stanley Cup Final his first year and the President Cup his second year. He's a big time player and he shows up during big moments. Watch last year and this years playoffs and you'll see.
As much as I see this trade never happening and as much as I like pk and don't want to see him go. I would love to see him and Tavares back home in Toronto trying to fulfill a childhood dream of lifting the Cup in Toronto. That would be a good story.

I don't hate Subban. at all. I was as flabbergasted as anyone that you guys got him for Weber.

but now, much like Weber before him, it's Subban who has become the overrated one on the preds blue line, thriving in a lesser role behind better players.

and just like with Weber, I think the preds would be genius to trade Subban at peak value now for a younger stud.

I just have no interest in the leafs being the Habs this time.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So what does SY do when Karlsson is traded out west? Does he sit on the team that just got eliminated in game 7 of the ECF or does he try to make a move to put his team over the top?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So what does SY do when Karlsson is traded out west? Does he sit on the team that just got eliminated in game 7 of the ECF or does he try to make a move to put his team over the top?
if there is a trade to improve his club he will but he is not going to gut the roster for a trade. Justin Faulk could be his plan B

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
I don't hate Subban. at all. I was as flabbergasted as anyone that you guys got him for Weber.

but now, much like Weber before him, it's Subban who has become the overrated one on the preds blue line, thriving in a lesser role behind better players.

and just like with Weber, I think the preds would be genius to trade Subban at peak value now for a younger stud.

I just have no interest in the leafs being the Habs this time.

I dont necesarrily disagree with this. Im all for trading players at the right moment in order to keep a competitive roster for as long as possible. I think the number 1 problem right now with the Preds asset Management is that their top 4 D is all basically the same age at 28-29, meaning that they will theoretically all start to decline at the same time.

However, there is nothing saying that Subban doesnt have 3-4 elite seasons in him still and then another 2-3 good ones after that meaning he’s still an extremly valuable asset.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
If we don't get Karlsson he doesn't need to do anything till the trade deadline. What the team needs is a big body power forward for the 3/4 line. Someone who can match up against the other teams bigger players and win puck battles in the corners. That player can be acquired at the deadline. The team will be fine in the regular season, its just that we lack the size up front to get through a 7 game series with some of the bigger teams out there. Plus, i'm betting that a new defensive scheme will do wonders for how we exit our zone, which was one of the main reasons we lost to the caps.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'd hate to give up Nylander, but the goal would be to win a cup. This trade would get the leafs closer to that, without a doubt. Not considering the salary cap implications, this is a well thought out trade actually.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I want a defenseman that can move the puck to our league best top nine, not Subban taking 2500+ end to end rushes. Pass

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
tenor.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think he makes a move, but he only does so if it makes sense. It was reported pretty early in July he wanted to improve his team, so I think he'll continue to try and do that. I'd love to see a bruiser brought in. Guy good for 15 goals that can and will get physical. I think that really hurt us against Washington not having that kind of guy.

That and not scoring the last two games of the series. That hurt too.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Hard to say he's in a lesser role when only Roman Josi had more ATOI than Subban and the difference is 21 seconds.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
there is only one player in the league that toronto would even consider moving Nylander for and that is E Karlsson

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think with OP here. Its crazy not to trade Nylander for a guy who can replicate his production from the backend.

Not to mention, Tavares is about to exit his prime too. The leafs time is now, not in 4 years when Tavares is 31 and declining even faster.

The Leafs time is for 7 years. No need to hurry things up.

If the Leafs make the playoffs two more times in the next two years and fail to advance, then sure, speed things up a bit, but otherwise, just take your time.

31 year old Tavares is still a #1C in this league, he's not going to decline crazily. Joe Thornton is still pretty effective and was very good in his 30s. Neither player really rely on their speed.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn’t call 29 aging, but I think it would be wiser to trade for a younger guy if you’re moving Nylander. You’d probably prefer a guy who is 26ish.

Honestly, I'd prefer a Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen type of deal. That's why I hope that Babcock gives Nylander a freaking chance at centre full time if there is an injury to any one of Tavares, Matthews, Kadri.

Nylander's value as a centre is way higher than as a winger but if Babcock doesn't play him there, they can't just say he's a centre when they are trying to trade him (if they ever trade him). He takes draws on his strong side and plays centre a bit kind of like Draisaitl with McDavid.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Probably not great, but here's my go

:starsacquires:
Erik Karlsson (with extension)

:sens acquires:
Miro Heiskanen
Mattias Janmark
Julius Honka
Jake Oettinger
2019 1st (top 5 protected)

Last edited:

crayzy8

Jul 7, 2009
Carleton Place
Toronto: PK Subban, T.Pyatt

Ottawa: W.Nylander, C.Grundstrom, D.Fabbro, C.Carrick, TOR 1st

Nashville: E.Karlsson (extension in place)

Leafs get their top pair D to play with Rielly, although a steep cost. losing nylander hurts, but Marner-Kapanen-Brown as the top 3 RW is good enough with that C depth. also pick up a 4C upgrade

Sens get a huge return for Karlson, and get to ship him off to the western conference. Willy can be signed for 8 years with no worries about him bolting

Preds give up Fabbro to move a 50-60pt dman for a 70-80pt dman. Josi-Karlsson and Ekholm-Ellis is terrifying to think about

I believe Nylander can only be signed for 8 years by Toronto then traded. The max length of a contract would be 7 years unless he re-signs with his original team. I may be wrong, but don`t think so

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Well there goes Kawhi Leonard.

C'mon Vegas. Throw in Glass and get this deal done.
Toronto is loading up. Leafs get Tavares, Raptors get Leonard.

We live in a very strange timeline.

Probably not great, but here's my go

:starsacquires:
Erik Karlsson

:sens acquires:
Miro Heiskanen
Mattias Janmark
Julius Honka
Jake Oettinger
2019 1st (top 5 protected)
That is beyond brutal for Dallas.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Toronto is loading up. Leafs get Tavares, Raptors get Leonard.

We live in a very strange timeline.

That is beyond brutal for Dallas.
But it's also Erik freaking Karlsson, and arguably he instantly makes Dallas a cup run favorite

Don't think any Sens fans would complain about this deal, is a brutal deal though.
Hard to make a fair deal in a scenario like this, but I tried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad