Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread Episode V - If You Needa Post About Him, Do It Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Avs are a terrible fit.

They are an amazing fit for Ottawa as a trade partner but not vice versa.

Avs are 12 months away from finishing with 48 points and have a very young team that overachieved last year by quite a bit and play in the hardest division by quite a bit.

Turning around now and sacrificing the assets they have painfully accumulated over the last couple of years to bring in a 28 year old star player who will demand 12M+ while not really fitting their cores window as well as their team needs (Avs strength right now is arguably right handed offensive minded Ds in their system) does not make much sense.

Avs have to just stand pat and rely on next years draft to help them solve their major issues. That Ottawa pick as well as their own 1st will probably play a crucial role in how this rebuild works out for them this time.

They should stay the hell away from EK (who probably has 0 interest in re-signing with a team like the Avs anyways..)
Karlsson instantly turns them into a contender, and they are 100% missing a #1D despite their strength on RD.

They should aim to win within Mackinnon's current contract and not continue to wait. The young players are ready to start contributing now.

The idea that they should play it cautious because of their record 2 seasons ago is the complete wrong mentality to have when running a franchise.

Reactions: MrPeePee

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Because if TB also knows they are a likely destination for Karlsson as a UFA, their offer is likely too low to compete.
Logic doesn't fly. You're playing chicken with yourself. Maybe you're the *preferred* destination, but you're giving a team a whole year to woo him away. You don't let this pass for magic beans.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That is insane.

It's absolutely true though. If you believe Still All In, on our board, and I do, it was Melnyk (or, "Ottawa's management") who nixed a deal between us and them in July. So it's not like we can just swoop in and make a deal, as if we're the only party involved. We're talking about unquestionably the worst, most invasive owner in the league here.

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
I believe they have 16.7 million in space
But Pavelski is a UFA at the end of the season and they will need to extend him

There has been no talks with Jo Pa, which is telling. All summer it was about 19, 9, 44, 39, 48. nothing at all on 8. I don't see him getting re-upped. This is why I see him going out and ryan coming back.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Avs are a terrible fit.

Avs are 12 months away from finishing with 48 points and have a very young team that overachieved last year by quite a bit and play in the hardest division by quite a bit.

Turning around now and sacrificing the assets they have painfully accumulated over the last couple of years to bring in a 28 year old star player who will demand 12M+ while not really fitting their cores window as well as their team needs (Avs strength right now is arguably right handed offensive minded Ds in their system) does not make much sense.

Avs have to just stand pat and rely on next years draft to help them solve their major issues. That Ottawa pick as well as their own 1st will probably play a crucial role in how this rebuild works out for them this time.

They should stay the hell away from EK (who probably has 0 interest in re-signing with a team like the Avs anyways..)

Why do people overrate prospects so much. Karlsson is a top 3 player in the world who is in the middle of his prime. Saying you don't want Karlsson because you have depth on RD is like saying that you don't want Crosby because you have Mack.

It's stupid. There's more chances that the pick is 4th ovr than 1st and far more chance that the player doesn't turn out half as good as ek.

But potential amirite?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Devils play the Sens 3 times in 18/19. Don’t see why shipping him to the West is necessary. Out of the division yeah, but out of the conference is t needed. It’s not like NJ and Ottawa are going to meet in the playoffs anytime soon.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Devils play the Sens 3 times in 18/19. Don’t see why shipping him to the West is necessary. Out of the division yeah, but out of the conference is t needed. It’s not like NJ and Ottawa are going to meet in the playoffs anytime soon.
Honestly divisions don't make much sense either. You only play division 4 times.

I guess the logic is you're directly competing against them for a playoff spot, but Jesus... there are 8 playoff spots.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
So do the Oilers ;)
giphy.gif

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
I don't think I'd be able to fathom Merkley being a part of a trade for Karlsson (or, any Sens player for that matter). The team has mentioned that a priority is on building the character of the locker room – something that sounds like it is needed incredibly urgently given Oduya's comments about lack of strong cultural traditions – and Merkley does not fit that description despite his skill level.

In short, the Sens will not be able to get a return of equal quality for Karlsson but fans had better hope that the players that do join the team bring some stability to the locker room.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Avs are a terrible fit.

I had not heard that Colorado had moved to the Central.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Logic doesn't fly. You're playing chicken with yourself. Maybe you're the *preferred* destination, but you're giving a team a whole year to woo him away. You don't let this pass for magic beans.

Exactly right.

Regardless of where Karlsson goes, he's likely to extend with them as long as he likes the area, fits well in the team and is producing good.

If Tampa is saying, "Meh, if he hits free agency, we'll throw our hat in the ring", I'm convinced they don't really feel they need Karlsson. This is Tampa's chance to get him - if they let it pass, it's on them IMO.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Exactly right.

Regardless of where Karlsson goes, he's likely to extend with them as long as he likes the area, fits well in the team and is producing good.

If Tampa is saying, "Meh, if he hits free agency, we'll throw our hat in the ring", I'm convinced they don't really feel they need Karlsson. This is Tampa's chance to get him - if they let it pass, it's on them IMO.
Like I said - I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk/Dorion nixes it for divisional reasons. I just think those reasons are stupid the way the league is today.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Depends what kind of offers you're up against, and if the owner/GM is willing to deal within the division. Canadian media has been saying that's a problem for Ottawa, going back to July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad