Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread Episode V - If You Needa Post About Him, Do It Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You must of not heard much today, then.

If they aren't dealing him now because the offers aren't good enough, why would they deal him at the deadline when the offers aren't going to be any better than they are now, possibly even worse?

I'll wait for what will no doubt be a super well thought out response.

I'm not a Sens fan lol but I think their reason is the possibility of getting better at the deadline. The offers now cant be much better with FA looming. However they at least get a shot at the season because they still have some decent players. Maybe they get lucky and make the playoffs. Maybe the players have a great time rallying around each other and want to re-sign. Maybe it gets sold.

At the least Dorion can say the offers were crap I wasnt getting enough for my star player, so I had to see if it would get better at the deadline. It wasnt so this is what's left. Maybe he would still get fired but his hands are kind of tied maybe he could still salvage getting another GM job someday if he handles this ok.

My point is Dorion will do what he can to make sure hes not getting fired from this. So there are a lot of reasons to wait it out. Its definitely debatable whether it's a good decision or not but jobs are at stake is what we forget.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Knowing the bad luck surrounding the Senators recently, who at all would be surprised to see this result in a serious Karlsson injury in October/November after they decided to hold onto him and wait for the deadline?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Knowing the bad luck surrounding the Senators recently, who at all would be surprised to see this result in a serious Karlsson injury in October/November after they decided to hold onto him and wait for the deadline?

Could happen to any 2019 UFA and there are quite a few of them

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
It's fairly safe to assume that nobody is talking right now. They're all waiting for each other to blink.

Way too early in the off season for anybody to blink. Maybe that changes when a team loses a core member to an injury.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It's fairly safe to assume that nobody is talking right now. They're all waiting for each other to blink.

Way too early in the off season for anybody to blink. Maybe that changes when a team loses a core member to an injury.

I feel like everyone is just waiting for Melnyk to blink. I know for a fact that there are parties aggressively pursuing ownership of the team but I also know for a fact that Melnyk doesn't want to sell. I don't think Dorion has any desire to trade Karlsson and I don't think Karlsson has any desire to leave Ottawa. Dorion is looking into trading Karlsson because of Melnyk, though, and Karlsson is looking into leaving Ottawa because of Melnyk. Neither Karlsson nor Dorion knows what is coming in the future, and both are somewhat paralyzed by that uncertainty imo.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
somethings better than nothing? Plus by the deadline they are probably going to be dang positive that he won't be coming back.

If they are somehow in the playoff race I guess they would keep him

Oh I agree completely, but these threads have been full of Sens fans screaming to the heavens saying if they don't receive fair value for Karlsson (despite not really being in a position to get fair value for Karlsson) they would rather keep him and let him walk, because "at least our GM would let other teams know he can't be taken advantage of".

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Oh I agree completely, but these threads have been full of Sens fans screaming to the heavens saying if they don't receive fair value for Karlsson (despite not really being in a position to get fair value for Karlsson) they would rather keep him and let him walk, because "at least our GM would let other teams know he can't be taken advantage of".

One person was saying that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Weird how it went from rumors everywhere to radio silence.

Not really.

The media needed a story, made up one and it blew up in their face.

It seems clear Karlsson wasn't close to moving and with Stone signing a one-year deal the board is set: our good players want ownership to commit and if they don't like what they see they will bail as UFAs. Since Melnyk doesn't listen to fans, maybe he'll listen to the players the fans pay to watch.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It is quiet.... too quiet

Why is it too quiet? For what we know, there are like what... 3 teams who talked extensively with the Sens about Karlsson. None of which gave any fruit which leads us to two options, either none of the bids were enough for Dorion to budge or he is still hesitant to trade Karlsson, maybe he thinks there are still time to sort things out and make him stay.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not really.

The media needed a story, made up one and it blew up in their face.

It seems clear Karlsson wasn't close to moving and with Stone signing a one-year deal the board is set: our good players want ownership to commit and if they don't like what they see they will bail as UFAs. Since Melnyk doesn't listen to fans, maybe he'll listen to the players the fans pay to watch.

I was reading over the Karlsson thread on the Senators board, they were talking about how there hasnt been any talks or quotes from management, even after they signed Stone to his 1 year deal. I thought this was kind of odd myself. Maybe Sensung is right. Maybe they are selling the team soon.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was reading over the Karlsson thread on the Senators board, they were talking about how there hasnt been any talks or quotes from management, even after they signed Stone to his 1 year deal. I thought this was kind of odd myself. Maybe Sensung is right. Maybe they are selling the team soon.

We (Sens fans) all hope it is a complete sale but that seems highly optimistic. We have people on our board who recently said something was coming in terms of ownership/new arena being built (Melnyk is part of a group who won the right to negotiate a land deal that could see a new arena be built essentially downtown) and they were adamant it was positive but that we won't find out until Autumn.

At the same time the players clearly don't like current ownership and players who have leverage have been using it.

Safe to say something is brewing.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We (Sens fans) all hope it is a complete sale but that seems highly optimistic. We have people on our board who recently said something was coming in terms of ownership/new arena being built (Melnyk is part of a group who won the right to negotiate a land deal that could see a new arena be built essentially downtown) and they were adamant it was positive but that we won't find out until Autumn.

At the same time the players clearly don't like current ownership and players who have leverage have been using it.

Safe to say something is brewing.

I know the players dont like Melnyk but what specifically has he done in such a short time to cause this internal friction among the players and owner?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know the players dont like Melnyk but what specifically has he done in such a short time to cause this internal friction among the players and owner?

I think it's mostly been building up to this.

In the summer of 2013 we had just completely obliterated Montreal in a major upset and things were looking good going forward: we had a good core and good prospects and Karlsson. Then Alfie bailed; I personally believe he was promised money to make up for the pay cuts he took when the team was in financial trouble in the early 2000's but once it became clear we could land Ryan Melnyk essentially told Alfie "either we pay you or we get Ryan" at which point it became clear to Alfie that winning in Ottawa was not likely. Alfie talked to Spezza and Spezza was quoted as saying "he told me why he was leaving but I don't agree" and then Spezza asked for a trade the next summer. When asked by Friedman why players leave Ottawa Jason said "because we want to win".

That was the starting point and things have been up and down since.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think it's mostly been building up to this.

In the summer of 2013 we had just completely obliterated Montreal in a major upset and things were looking good going forward: we had a good core and good prospects and Karlsson. Then Alfie bailed; I personally believe he was promised money to make up for the pay cuts he took when the team was in financial trouble in the early 2000's but once it became clear we could land Ryan Melnyk essentially told Alfie "either we pay you or we get Ryan" at which point it became clear to Alfie that winning in Ottawa was not likely. Alfie talked to Spezza and Spezza was quoted as saying "he told me why he was leaving but I don't agree" and then Spezza asked for a trade the next summer. When asked by Friedman why players leave Ottawa Jason said "because we want to win".

That was the starting point and things have been up and down since.

I do remember Alfredson leaving Ott on not the best terms. He was a guy who seemed like a Sen for life. Crazy the same thing could happen to another best player in franchise history.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Karlsson staying in Ottawa long term would be one of the greatest things I have ever had happen on this website, cause of the “butt hurt” that would ensue among the adhd crowd here who shoot their dna all over the place only when player movement occurs.

The fact is that player movement, especially when it comes to stars, is good for the league because it creates a buzz.

It makes things interesting, fresh and gives fans something to talk about even when the sport isn't being played.

If your league is being talked about during the off-season consistently, you're doing things right (see NBA, NFL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad