Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread Episode V - If You Needa Post About Him, Do It Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What do the bolts have to offer to a rebuilding team like the sens? Serious question. Is trading away sergs really a smart move for bolts? I doubt it.
It is when you bring back a top 3 defenseman in the league, especially when you already have guys like Hedman and McDonagh.

When your top 3 is Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh, it pretty much doesn't matter who your 4th is. Pick up a journeyman from the FA in the offseason or resign Stralman at a discount. Won't really matter. It matters even less when you have Cal Foote in line for a shot in a few years.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I just want to get to that point where we see a tweet saying "Karlsson to X (team) is close to happening" or something like that. Give us a team

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It is when you bring back a top 3 defenseman in the league, especially when you already have guys like Hedman and McDonagh.

When your top 3 is Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson and Ryan McDonagh, it pretty much doesn't matter who your 4th is. Pick up a journeyman from the FA in the offseason or resign Stralman at a discount. Won't really matter. It matters even less when you have Cal Foote in line for a shot in a few years.
The habs traded sergs and they regretted right away. I really dont see the point in giving up a cost controlled star in the making for a player who will likely ask north of 10M per year after what could be two straight struggling seasons.
Keep Sergs imo. Dont make the same mistake we habs made.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

It matters because if Tampa extends Karlsson at anything close to the market rate, that’s your team for the foreseeable future, and you have to rely on hitting homeruns in the draft to get appreciably better. Tampa will certainly be one of the best three teams in the league with Karlsson if they aren’t that without him. But bringing him on does entail risk.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
The habs traded sergs and they regretted right away. I really dont see the point in giving up a cost controlled star in the making for a player who will likely ask north of 10M per year after what could be two straight struggling seasons.
This, Serg is off the table. Get it done with other assets or don't get it done at all.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I just want to get to that point where we see a tweet saying "Karlsson to X (team) is close to happening" or something like that. Give us a team

Screw close. Weve seen "close" a few too many times. Hell even "done" might not be enough at this point.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It matters because if Tampa extends Karlsson at anything close to the market rate, that’s your team for the foreseeable future, and you have to rely on hitting homeruns in the draft to get appreciably better. Tampa will certainly be one of the best three teams in the league with Karlsson if they aren’t that without him. But bringing him on does entail risk.

Long term risk is there, but we have a great young core here already established. When guys get up in age is where things get tough for this team. Even without Karlsson. Might as well try to get it done now. Weve come too close. Ek puts us over I think.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This, Serg is off the table. Get it done with other assets or don't get it done at all.

Serg will be a great player for a long time in this league, but EK is arguably the best in the league right now. Its a no brainer in my opinion. I can see why some Lightning fans would be hesitant to move him though. He looks really good in this league already as a 19 year old.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Erik Karlsson, in a "struggling" season, still put up 62 points in 71 games.

He'd most likely re-sign in Tampa Bay. Mikhail Sergachev will NEVER be the player Erik Karlsson is, even at his absolute best.

I can understand the cost-controlled asset aspect of not wanting to move Sergachev, but adding Karlsson makes the Lightning the #1 favourite for the Cup not just this season but likely the next 3-4 seasons.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah, I'm sorry, but the likelihood of Sergachev ever being what Karlsson is now is so slim. He's going to be great, he's not going to be Karlsson.

I move Serge for EK 10/10 times. So should pretty much everyone on Earth

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Long term risk is there, but we have a great young core here already established. When guys get up in age is where things get tough for this team. Even without Karlsson. Might as well try to get it done now. Weve come too close. Ek puts us over I think.

Winning the Cup entails a good amount of luck. With Karlsson, they'll have a very good shot at it for the next three or four seasons. Without him, the window would be open longer, but it's not as wide open.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah, I'm sorry, but the likelihood of Sergachev ever being what Karlsson is now is so slim. He's going to be great, he's not going to be Karlsson.

I move Serge for EK 10/10 times. So should pretty much everyone on Earth

I think Yzerman would have and Brisebois would too. But you know Dorion wants extra pieces that's what the hang up might be. Tampa has a lot of good prospects available like Raddysh, Katchouk, Cirelli, Joseph. Obviously Foote is off the table if Sergachev is included, but one of those forwards is likely in the ask and that's where it gets tough.

Ultimately, I think EK ends up in Tampa and re-signs almost immediately. They can figure out their cap situation next year when his extension kicks in. But they'll move others to keep Hedman-Karlsson (potentially the best pairing in NHL history???) together.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
God I hope this saga is over soon. Also thank god hockey is around the corner too. Just get going already.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Why would you post this?
I looked at the date of the tweet as soon as I saw it was Eklund.

Didn't bother me at all, even if the date was today. These guys have had no idea what was going on with Karlsson throughout 95% of this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad