Erik Karlsson III: The Norris Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Thats one thing I've noticed as well. That no matter which top player Karlsson is playing against.Be it, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos,Tavares etc, Karlsson almost always has the better game and is the focal point of the game.

His offensive contribution and skill is on the level of Malkin,Crosby,Ovechkin. That alone makes him one of the very best players in the world.

The unbelievable part is that he is only 24 and sure to get better and more polished, he is too smart not to.

Guy is going to go down as one of the all time greats.

Doughty better is honestly laughable. It's like saying Toews is better than Crosby.

Put any of Weber, Karlsson, or Subban on those Kings teams , and they still win two cups.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
So, last 4 games Karlsson has outplayed Stamkos, Ovechkin, and now Crosby and Malkin.

How is he not considered the best player ever by a mile is beyond me.

I was just watching a youtube tribute to Peter Forsberg. One of my favourite videos. And I was thinking, Forsberg was kinda like Crosby and Ovechkin combined (but not like double their skill). And I was wondering to myself I wonder what Karlsson tributes are gonna look like in 10 years"

And I realized that they're gonna suck. He is just too fast and good. All his plays are over in the blink of your eye and are a little underwhelming. It's like a college kid playing FIFA against a 2 year old, and the college kid plays as Real Madrid and the 2 year old plays as the White Caps.

The goals would be nice, but like... Ovechkin and Subban's goals are nice cause they are so slow compared to Karlsson. Watching Karlsson is like watching some fights in Dragonball Z. Just flashing around and you're sitting there thinking 'WTF am I watching". I was thinking that they should make a special award where Karlsson just chooses who the 2nd best player in the NHL is.

That was one hell of a rant.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not a hater...loved Karlsson since junior, etc. ...

Ovie made Karlsson look like a Pee Wee a few times last game and Karlsson WAS out of sorts as well as out of position for most of the goals against last night. It is crazy how hyper sensitive people are about him. This isn't the main board so nobody here is trying to make him sound like a bad player but it really is his defense and what appears to be lackadaisical approach to it from time to time that will consistently give his critics ammunition.

He was walked by that scrub that scored his first goal in 36 games or whatever last night as well.

He is great and I love him and called him winning a Norris eventually during his rookie year plus a bought and autographed jersey so my money is where my mouth is but it is OK to make an honest assessment.

Pointing out area of improvement does not take away from his areas of excellence.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005

Ovie made Karlsson look like a Pee Wee a few times last game and Karlsson WAS out of sorts as well as out of position for most of the goals against last night. It is crazy how hyper sensitive people are about him. This isn't the main board so nobody here is trying to make him sound like a bad player but it really is his defense and what appears to be lackadaisical approach to it from time to time that will consistently give his critics ammunition.

He was walked by that scrub that scored his first goal in 36 games or whatever last night as well.

He is great and I love him and called him winning a Norris eventually during his rookie year plus a bought and autographed jersey so my money is where my mouth is but it is OK to make an honest assessment.

Pointing out area of improvement does not take away from his areas of excellence.
Did you watch the game?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

Exactly. He's great if course but no, he's not the best overall defenseman in the league. he still has work to do defensively. He can look pretty bad on some goals sometimes in terms of his effort in the defensive zone or positioning etc...but he's still young and has room to improve. He's not consistently good in the defensive zone is what I'm trying to say. he can make some really smart plays with his stick etc but he can still look bad back there as well.

He's still the most explosive offensive d-man in the league and the best one of this generation but he definitely has room to improve his game. I think Karlsson himself has said before that he's working on his defense so atleast he recognizes it as well

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Exactly. He's great if course but no, he's not the best overall defenseman in the league. he still has work to do defensively. He can look pretty bad on some goals sometimes in terms of his effort in the defensive zone or positioning etc...but he's still young and has room to improve. He's not consistently good in the defensive zone is what I'm trying to say. he can make some really smart plays with his stick etc but he can still look bad back there as well.

He's still the most explosive offensive d-man in the league and the best one of this generation but he definitely has room to improve his game. I think Karlsson himself has said before that he's working on his defense so atleast he recognizes it as well

You're being overly critical. I hate using the age card but I'm going to bet you're fairly young. I'm an old guy that watched Bobby Orr's entire career live, a player I consider one of the top 3 I've ever seen.

Orr too always said he wanted to improve his game, every single year of his career. Karlsson is not quite as good but the similarities are eerie. I find the debates about Karlsson fascinating because they were the same for Orr except today the exposure is on steroids.

Back then the Toronto media absolutely adored Orr, the Canadiens media despised him and poked all kinds of holes in his game. Because he played for Boston, the New York and Philadelphia media didn't like him either. I have no idea if the old newspaper articles are available online but I may do a search, the "analysis" of Orr's game by the Montreal media was so similar to Karlsson's it would make everyone laugh.

Despite being one of the best players in the world, Orr only won 2 Cups. We should be enjoying Karlsson's game, players like this just don't come along often. It seems today every shift is scrutinized, this is ridiculous but I don't see it ever changing again, but imo it takes a lot of enjoyment out of watching the game.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
You're being overly critical. I hate using the age card but I'm going to bet you're fairly young. I'm an old guy that watched Bobby Orr's entire career live, a player I consider one of the top 3 I've ever seen.

Orr too always said he wanted to improve his game, every single year of his career. Karlsson is not quite as good but the similarities are eerie. I find the debates about Karlsson fascinating because they were the same for Orr except today the exposure is on steroids.

Back then the Toronto media absolutely adored Orr, the Canadiens media despised him and poked all kinds of holes in his game. Because he played for Boston, the New York and Philadelphia media didn't like him either. I have no idea if the old newspaper articles are available online but I may do a search, the "analysis" of Orr's game by the Montreal media was so similar to Karlsson's it would make everyone laugh.

Despite being one of the best players in the world, Orr only won 2 Cups. We should be enjoying Karlsson's game, players like this just don't come along often. It seems today every shift is scrutinized, this is ridiculous but I don't see it ever changing again, but imo it takes a lot of enjoyment out of watching the game.

Interesting observation. No I wasn't born during Orr's playing days but its interesting you point out that people made the same criticisms of Orr. Fair enough.

I just find it hilarious that Montreal fans and media criticize Orr and now criticize the guy who plays a style of game very similar to Orr. Jealousy is all it is sounds like.

What a pathetic excuse of a fan base and media outlet :laugh:

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
After seeing all of the arguments against Karlsson I have to say this:

Karlsson is a special player, and we all know that. He may not be Bobby Orr good, but the magic he works with the puck is the best for a defenseman in decades. Really wish others could see what he does without having to constantly put him down. If we make the playoffs this year he's going to get a lot of great press. I just can't believe what he does sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to recognize greatness , but Karlsson just has it. He's the best defenseman in such a long time. Lidstrom is the only defenseman as good as him in the last ten years.

Last edited:

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
So, last 4 games Karlsson has outplayed Stamkos, Ovechkin, and now Crosby and Malkin.

How is he not considered the best player ever by a mile is beyond me.

I was just watching a youtube tribute to Peter Forsberg. One of my favourite videos. And I was thinking, Forsberg was kinda like Crosby and Ovechkin combined (but not like double their skill). And I was wondering to myself I wonder what Karlsson tributes are gonna look like in 10 years"

And I realized that they're gonna suck. He is just too fast and good. All his plays are over in the blink of your eye and are a little underwhelming. It's like a college kid playing FIFA against a 2 year old, and the college kid plays as Real Madrid and the 2 year old plays as the White Caps.

The goals would be nice, but like... Ovechkin and Subban's goals are nice cause they are so slow compared to Karlsson. Watching Karlsson is like watching some fights in Dragonball Z. Just flashing around and you're sitting there thinking 'WTF am I watching". I was thinking that they should make a special award where Karlsson just chooses who the 2nd best player in the NHL is.
stoned-guy.jpeg

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Probs been answered...but the way I see it, EK is the automatic Norris winner if the sens make the playoffs...I'd rarely say that about a guy who was average at best at during the first month or two but did he ****ing turn it around or what, he basically surprised a lot of people (and probably a lot of sens fans too) with the huge 2nd half season he had.

Question for you sens fans
1) If the sens make the playoffs, do you think EK will win the Norris? should he?
2) If the sens miss the playoffs, do you think EK will win the Norris? should he?

I'd say for 1) yes to both...for 2), well I won't answer it but most of you might not like my answer

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson would probably have won the norris the year he was injured, he likely would have won the next year as well , and hes been the best defenceman in the league this year.

This guys could have realistically had 4 Norris before the the age of 24. Lidstrom got his first at 30! I think he will have at least 5 by the age of 30.

Plus Ottawa is clearly trending up, I think we will be a top 10 team soon, and Karlsson would benefit greatly from that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Did you watch the game?

I think you are being sarcastic because that phrase has become the "go to" when you don't have a good reply but want to try and belittle another person's opinion.

Or are you serious?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thats one thing I've noticed as well. That no matter which top player Karlsson is playing against.Be it, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos,Tavares etc, Karlsson almost always has the better game and is the focal point of the game.

His offensive contribution and skill is on the level of Malkin,Crosby,Ovechkin. That alone makes him one of the very best players in the world.

The unbelievable part is that he is only 24 and sure to get better and more polished, he is too smart not to.

Guy is going to go down as one of the all time greats.

Doughty better is honestly laughable. It's like saying Toews is better than Crosby.

Put any of Weber, Karlsson, or Subban on those Kings teams , and they still win two cups.

I prefer Toews over Crosby.

Good post.

I don't think the comparison to Orr is a good one because Orr was an excellent defensive player & he would drop the gloves from time to time. Bobby Orr was the best overall defenceman in the world in his day until his knees gave out thanks to Pat Quinn. Bobby Orr could do everything, he was strong enough to defend in his own end & tough enough to not be bullied. He also had a pretty tough team ready to defend him at any time something maybe Karlsson doesn't really have. Bobby Orr was the only player I have ever seen take the puck from behind his own net & skate through the opposition around their net & while they are still chasing him end up back behind his net until his team had completed their line change & then start the play again. This was against a pretty bad California Golden Seal team that had white skates, their owner thought it would be a good idea & they were ridiculed for it. Barry Boughner a family friend played for them.

I think the better comparison might be Paul Coffey who was an excellent offensive defenceman with a lot of holes in his defensive game or better said was criticized a lot for his lack of defensive play. Karlsson is an amazing offensive defenceman but he makes a lot of mistakes IMO in every game in every period. He is weak defensively with bigger forwards, he is a poor positional player & is out of position a lot & he gives the puck away or makes poor decisions with the puck often. Then again he also plays big minutes & the more you play the more mistakes you will make. It's the guys who don't play a lot who make less mistakes sometimes. While his offensive plays pulls you out of your seat occasionally his defensive errors makes you pull your hair out. :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On this page alone, we can see quite clearly who has great hockey knowledge and can spot amazing talent....and who can't.

The Doctor - Amazing post. Best of the thread by a mile.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Probs been answered...but the way I see it, EK is the automatic Norris winner if the sens make the playoffs...I'd rarely say that about a guy who was average at best at during the first month or two but did he ****ing turn it around or what, he basically surprised a lot of people (and probably a lot of sens fans too) with the huge 2nd half season he had.

1) If the sens make the playoffs, do you think EK will win the Norris? should he?
2) If the sens miss the playoffs, do you think EK will win the Norris? should he?

I'd say for 1) yes to both...for 2), well I won't answer it but most of you might not like my answer

At this point, I'd say yes, he should in both cases. Will he? Likely if we make it. Doubtful if not. But the Norris is such a crapshoot this year that the field is pretty open.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
On this page alone, we can see quite clearly who has great hockey knowledge and can spot amazing talent....and who can't.

The Doctor - Amazing post. Best of the thread by a mile.

Interested where you put me in your observations.

Also where you put yourself. I guess if you are so knowledgeable that you can determine who has knowledge and who doesn't you are the best of the best? Which team do you work for?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

No playoffs, no Norris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad