Erik Karlsson III: The Norris Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Just curious..

what do you guys think of Karlsson's skating? Is it back to what it was before the Achilles injury? He's always flying out there so I can't tell anymore whether it's at the level it was during his Norris year or if it's still a little bit slower than that..
at 10 seconds is a good example of what his acceleration was before the injury:

BigBush*

just rewatched the 2013 MTL-OTT series (well the 10 mins youtube videos). Karlsson couldnt even ****ing skate in that series. im looking so forward to a much better Karlsson this time around

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's a shame really. Erik Karlsson now is the best defenseman in the league. Pre-Cooke Karlsson was one of the best defenseman in NHL history.

I believe in Karlsson and hopefully he can get back there again.

He's made such unbelievable strides since what is a devastating injury. TBH I didnt expect Karlsson to be in Norris talks until at least next year but with a full off-season to work out properly, he could get back to that level next year.

We can only hope...

You're right, that Karlsson was the definition of generational talent and ability. The one we have now still fits the bill but it'll take him longer to solidify that claim.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hope it's nothing big, he's been playing much more conservatively past week or so. Also got beat by Ovechkin and Perron where he looked uncomfortable making pivots and such which were non-issue earlier in the stretch run.

That's nothing. Great rush by Karlsson no less but nothing near his true skating ability.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Are you guys saying Karlsson is an average skater now? Because in today's NHL when a great skater loses a visible step in his skating he immediately becomes an average skater.
Seriously, these "pre-Cook" or "not 100%" Karlsson cop-outs are getting embarrassing really. :shakehead

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Who's copping out? He's probably the best dman in the league this year.

But his skating isn't quite what it used to be. That's just how it is.

BigBush*

Are you guys saying Karlsson is an average skater now? Because in today's NHL when a great skater loses a visible step in his skating he immediately becomes an average skater.
Seriously, these "pre-Cook" or "not 100%" Karlsson cop-outs are getting embarrassing really. :shakehead

I think he's just as good as before. He still has his explosive speed like before.

Some people have commented on his pivots being worse, which I can't comment on because I cant remember his pivots in his Norris season

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011

They are saying his skating now is much better then what it was right when he came back from injury.

DogsFan*

I wouldn't be worried. Probably just resting, might be a little banged up but I doubt it's anything serious.

He seems to have a back injury, judging from the video on the Senators website (his sit down interview). At the end (5:45 mark) he seems to be in considerable pain and has trouble sitting up in his seat. Something to monitor for sure.

Go Habs Go, Good luck Sens. Can't wait to get it started.

edit: Here is a gif
PastIllfatedHammerheadshark.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
This was actually last season, and after his injury. He's still a fantastic skater and I think he will get to his best again.

Lol its a few times now I've seen people post clips post-injury pining for the days when Karlsson skated "like that".

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Not sure how this is hard to understand. He's a great skater now, but before the injury the guy looked like he skated in an early 2000s EA sports game.

You watch his three step burst now compared to his three step burst before Cooke and its different. Right now he pulls away from people because he's faster than they are, whereas before, the guy was suddenly 5 feet ahead of the other guy. There's a reason if you go back to GDTs at that time people joked about his silly video game speed burst button, and people don't nowadays.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Not sure how this is hard to understand. He's a great skater now, but before the injury the guy looked like he skated in an early 2000s EA sports game.

You watch his three step burst now compared to his three step burst before Cooke and its different. Right now he pulls away from people because he's faster than they are, whereas before, the guy was suddenly 5 feet ahead of the other guy. There's a reason if you go back to GDTs at that time people joked about his silly video game speed burst button, and people don't nowadays.

I saw someone make a joke like that on twitter like 5 days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad