Erik Karlsson Gratitude Thread

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it’s ok for parents to be able to enjoy their lives, have some perks and gadgets, and not have to make their lives all about their kids.

Modelling being more than just a parent to your kids can also be helpful in teaching them to also be able to live a full life when they become adults and parents.

In my opinion children ‘join’ a family and community, rather than become the central focus of it. That’s not to diminish the importance and dependence of children, it’s more to outline the idea that it can be beneficial to their socialization to not grow up feeling that the world revolves around them. You can still feel safe and loved without thinking you own the place lol!

Full hockey gear is expensive, especially if you have to buy new every time your child grows, and then multiply that for siblings. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a parent to have to drive a shitbox and use a flip phone to cover the costs.

Personally I think that it’s in the best interests of Hockey Canada, and the NHL, to make sure that kids of all types have easy access to joining hockey programs. You can’t grow leagues if you don’t keep the pipeline stocked with quality talent coming up through the ranks. It’s seems like a no-brainer investment, while also doing a service for the environment (equipment footprint).

As usual, there is a perfect balance in there somewhere that works for every family :)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm gratitude that he's gone, and that the SENS didn't give him that huge contract. :)

weird post in a appreciation thread for the most talented player to ever play for this franchise. EK brought a lot of respect to this team. 2 Norris trophies and robbed of more, put asses in seats, captained the team for 4 years, played injured and sacrificed his health for the team. This team will probably never sniff the jockstrap of a player like that again and I do sincerely hope he finds some level of elite play back in his career and solidifies a hall of fame induction.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
weird post in a appreciation thread for the most talented player to ever play for this franchise. EK brought a lot of respect to this team. 2 Norris trophies and robbed of more, put asses in seats, captained the team for 4 years, played injured and sacrificed his health for the team. This team will probably never sniff the jockstrap of a player like that again and I do sincerely hope he finds some level of elite play back in his career and solidifies a hall of fame induction.
2 time Norris winner, 4 time finalist, 651 points in only 821 games 31st all time among D. He’s a HoF lock and will proudly be enshrined with othe SJ greats.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Kinda scary to think we might not ever have a player be as dominant in their position as EK was. We were lucky to have his best years and he was legit in the convo for top3 defender in so many of his seasons here. I'm happy to have seen him play live and cheer him on. Wish him nothing but the best

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Kinda scary to think we might not ever have a player be as dominant in their position as EK was. We were lucky to have his best years and he was legit in the convo for top3 defender in so many of his seasons here. I'm happy to have seen him play live and cheer him on. Wish him nothing but the best

Thankfully he was being mentioned in the same sentence as Crosby, so leaves a lot of wiggle room some excellent players

What a player he was for us.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Was it double OT game 7 against the eventual winners in Pittsburgh?

We came very close to winning it all with Karlsson. This is always going to be a "what if". It's easy to look now at what a disaster it is in San Jose but would it have been a disaster here?

There are 3 series for me -

Loss to the Devils in 2003
Loss to the Ducks in 2007
Loss to the Penguins in 2017

All cup winners on the other end coming out.

Reactions: JD1

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Was it double OT game 7 against the eventual winners in Pittsburgh?

We came very close to winning it all with Karlsson. This is always going to be a "what if". It's easy to look now at what a disaster it is in San Jose but would it have been a disaster here?

There are 3 series for me -

Loss to the Devils in 2003
Loss to the Ducks in 2007
Loss to the Penguins in 2017

All cup winners on the other end coming out.
Yep, double OT. Honestly I never really felt like we had a huge chance in 2007, but the other two sting. 2003 especially, since I think whoever came out of the east was winning the cup - Giguère could only do so much. Also hurt losing that 2004-2005 season where we had arguably the best roster in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad