Player Discussion Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the only criticism of comparisons to Bobby Orr you can come up with is him not having a fist fight with a guy, then I'd say EK is looking pretty good.

Also, in that video one of Orr's team mates is clearly grabbing the back of Quinn's jersey and pulling him away from Orr during the fight. Looked like Orr was losing util he got a hand from a buddy, so *shrug* Not the best example of him being tough.

I saw Orr fight Marc Tardif live in the Forum a few rows down... Orr generally stood up for himself but I would not call him a fighter by any means. I remember the Quinn hit on Orr (not live) ..Different era for sure.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I saw Orr fight Marc Tardif live in the Forum a few rows down... Orr generally stood up for himself but I would not call him a fighter by any means. I remember the Quinn hit on Orr (not live) ..Different era for sure.

Marc Tardif, Montreal Canadians #11 I believe, he was a decent player. I remember that Quinn hit too along the boards, it didn't look as bad as it ended up being but being a guy who has had a few knee operations I felt sorry for Orr considering in those days knee operations were still in the primitive stages. :shakehead

Barry Boughner played for the California Golden Seals, remember them with the White Skates? He told me he watched Orr while sitting on his bench start a play from behind his own net, skate through the whole team, lose his glove around the blue line skate back, pick up his glove, then skate through the team again & make a beauty of a pass to Hodge coming down the right side for a nifty top corner shot. Karlsson may be the closest player to Orr since Orr with his skating, vision & passing ability. Orr was a much better defender in his own end, maybe because he was a little bigger & stronger & he was a lot tougher than people realize, he had a few fights & held his own. I liked Derick Sanderson on that team, he was nuts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Marc Tardif, Montreal Canadians #11 I believe, he was a decent player. I remember that Quinn hit too along the boards, it didn't look as bad as it ended up being but being a guy who has had a few knee operations I felt sorry for Orr considering in those days knee operations were still in the primitive stages. :shakehead

Barry Boughner played for the California Golden Seals, remember them with the White Skates? He told me he watched Orr while sitting on his bench start a play from behind his own net, skate through the whole team, lose his glove around the blue line skate back, pick up his glove, then skate through the team again & make a beauty of a pass to Hodge coming down the right side for a nifty top corner shot. Karlsson may be the closest player to Orr since Orr with his skating, vision & passing ability. Orr was a much better defender in his own end, maybe because he was a little bigger & stronger & he was a lot tougher than people realize, he had a few fights & held his own. I liked Derick Sanderson on that team, he was nuts.

That was a good team.. I liked McKenzie too. Sanderson was wicked on the draws. Orr was truly amazing at that time... No Bobby Orr .... No EriK Karlsson IMO... He changed the game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That was a good team.. I liked McKenzie too. Sanderson was wicked on the draws. Orr was truly amazing at that time... No Bobby Orr .... No EriK Karlsson IMO... He changed the game.

Yep, he changed how defencemen played that's for sure but there were other very good defencemen at the time. I think Brad Park was considered a pretty good offensive defenceman around the same time & Dennis Potvin was one of the toughest skilled defencemen I can remember & Robinson, Savard & others. A lot of great hockey players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yep, he changed how defencemen played that's for sure but there were other very good defencemen at the time. I think Brad Park was considered a pretty good offensive defenceman around the same time & Dennis Potvin was one of the toughest skilled defencemen I can remember & Robinson, Savard & others. A lot of great hockey players.

Park, Orr and Savard all came in about the same time.. Robinson and Potvin came in about 5 years later... I would say all were great D men but Orr won the scoring title twice, the Hart 3 times and the Norris 8 years in a row. He was on another level offensively. Robinson and Potvin were tough sobs and really good players.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Different era for sure, Orr was revolutionary, there hasn't been anyone comparable in modern times, yet. Although the way Karlsson's evolving these days, he has to be considered. When you check out videos of Bobby Orr, you can see how much open ice they had back then. Orr could skate, shoot, deke, check, hit - he could do it all.

What Karlsson's doing in today's tight checking, low scoring, structure based era is all the more remarkable. I think Karlsson's revolutionizing the defenseman role yet again, in today's tight checking, low scoring, structure based era. He is a phenom and the Old Boys Club are now grudgingly admitting it. The plays don't lie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Different era for sure, Orr was revolutionary, there hasn't been anyone comparable in modern times, yet. Although the way Karlsson's evolving these days, he has to be considered. When you check out videos of Bobby Orr, you can see how much open ice they had back then. Orr could skate, shoot, deke, check, hit - he could do it all.

What Karlsson's doing in today's tight checking, low scoring, structure based era is all the more remarkable. I think Karlsson's revolutionizing the defenseman role yet again, in today's tight checking, low scoring, structure based era. He is a phenom and the Old Boys Club are now grudgingly admitting it. The plays don't lie.

I don't disagree with this.. Karlsson is so skilled and so quick and he thinks the game at least as well as anyone ever. That said all those defensemen we talked about would be excellent today as well imo.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I don't disagree with this.. Karlsson is so skilled and so quick and he thinks the game at least as well as anyone ever. That said all those defensemen we talked about would be excellent today as well imo.

Perhaps, but they are legends of the past and EK is doing it today in a much more defensively evolved game. We can hypothesize how they would be in today's game, we can actually watch EK do things he does nowadays. Good times.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man...... when Karlsson suffered that achilles i swear to God it felt as if someone close to me died. I thought it would be an injury that would sideline Karlsson and stagnate his defensively development for the rest of his career.

3.5 years later and he's arguably the best player in the game which features 2 close-to-peaking generational forwards.

To think we'd be here after that.... thank the Lord.

Now time to reward him for everything by providing him with the supporting cast he deserves.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Man...... when Karlsson suffered that achilles i swear to God it felt as if someone close to me died. I thought it would be an injury that would sideline Karlsson and stagnate his defensively development for the rest of his career.

3.5 years later and he's arguably the best player in the game which features 2 close-to-peaking generational forwards.

To think we'd be here after that.... thank the Lord.

Now time to reward him for everything by providing him with the supporting cast he deserves.

That is what they have done.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
So, according to Swedish media, Boucher said that Karlsson wanted to play the last regular season games to catch up to Burns, but finally had to give in and rest his injury. Yeah, he's pretty competitive :laugh:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I missed my chance to get one. :(

Do you know if there is some on sale at the CTC. I'm going to game 5 next week, if they get there... and i would like to buy one. It's my favorite jersey by far.

If not i'm probably going to buy a black.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do you know if there is some on sale at the CTC. I'm going to game 5 next week, if they get there... and i would like to buy one. It's my favorite jersey by far.

If not i'm probably going to buy a black.

I don't think I've seen one in quite awhile on sale.

I have a black heritage "Karlsson" and a classic white 2D "Alfredsson".

I wouldn't have minded a white heritage "Stone".

I will never buy a jersey with the 3D logo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I don't think I've seen one in quite awhile on sale.

I have a black heritage "Karlsson" and a classic white 2D "Alfredsson".

I wouldn't have minded a white heritage "Stone".

I will never buy a jersey with the 3D logo.

Yeah, I really wanted a white heritage Karlsson one. Tempted to get a knock off just for the hell of it. Might wait to see if during Christmas they make a special sale first.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I could see them re-using the white ones but it's by no means a certainty.

I also regret not picking one up.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I think the Orr comparisons are ridiculous, honestly. If we want to say he's the best defenseman in the NHL, absolutely I'm with it but otherwise, leave the all time comparisons to when he's done playing.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I agree.

I do think he is the type of D that hasn't been seen in a very long time. Someone who not only puts up points but who controls the game - even more so than Lidstrom due to his skating.

As far as Orr...that is for bar room discussions many years from now.

I just want him to put his stamp on the Senators like most elite/generational players have been able to over the years. He is starting this play-off looking like a guy who can will a team to victory and I am enjoying it immensely.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
Some minutes ago, I was watching this segment on TVA Sports hosted by Dave Morrissette with his guests, Steven Finn and Jonathan Bernier (not the goalie, some journalist).

For this particular segment, Dave was asking 'myth or reality' questions. To the question, 'Is Erik Karlsson the best defenseman in the NHL today?', the answers were:

Steven Finn: Reality - He's the best by far, he's the one having the biggest impact on his team's success. I've been saying it for a while now...'
Dave: Better than Brent Burns?
SF: Way more complete than Burns...

Bernier: Reality - He was very impressive against the Bruins and he had a great season. Actually, I'll tell you a little confidence... I gave him my first place vote for the Norris...

Dave: Wow, you're the second one saying this (first place vote for the Norris) on our show after Jean-François Chaumont the other day...

So, there you have it, two more first place votes... it's going to be close me thinks.:yo:

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa

I also feel that Karlsson and Orr almost look similar in the way that they skate. You can easily pick up Karlsson on TV from the other room because he looks so unique, the way he skates and how he moves. I have only seen videos, but I feel like Orr and Karlsson would be trading Norris Trophies today or back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad