Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I could only find these

I guess it’s only fair you show me the one time goals from Brown now.

Was that 2nd video really a "great" defensive play? He did a good job intercepting the pass with his stick, but then he threw the puck to the Winnipeg player at the blueline, despite having way more time to make a better pass. The only reason that worked out was due to the nice effort by Tkachuk to turn the puck over.

Reactions: Alex1234

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Was that 2nd video really a "great" defensive play? He did a good job intercepting the pass with his stick, but then he threw the puck to the Winnipeg player at the blueline, despite having way more time to make a better pass. The only reason that worked out was due to the nice effort by Tkachuk to turn the puck over.

Yeah not my tweet, I wouldn’t have used the word great. The interception was solid. Agree that the effort from Tkachuk made the play. Any comments on the first one?

The point is that its pretty disingenuous to pretend Brannstrom has never made a defensive play.

For that matter, his deficiencies on defense are smaller than some of the competitions’ deficiencies in the neutral and offensive zones.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Brannstrom is in a middle of the pack right now NHL d-man, who could be in top 20. And our bottom four should not be in NHL. It is obvious for everyone as day and night. Brannstrom is million light years ahead from Mete, who will not even land a job in KHL. DJ Smith is clueless about hockey. I have no idea what is going on really. They decided to tank the season again? But last season they tanked the season for a player, who probably will never play in NHL.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom is in a middle of the pack right now NHL d-man, who could be in top 20. And our bottom four should not be in NHL. It is obvious for everyone as day and night. Brannstrom is million light years ahead from Mete, who will not even land a job in KHL. DJ Smith is clueless about hockey. I have no idea what is going on really. They decided to tank the season again? But last season they tanked the season for a player, who probably will never play in NHL.

Hopefully we pick high enough so that they are forced to pick skill like Stutzle and Sanderson.

With the make up of the team tanking is smarter. We still lack dynamic high end skill and the best way to get that is by drafting high.

The only other way to get a talent like that is through a trade but I trust our amateur scouting way more than Dorion and the pro scouting staff.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah not my tweet, I wouldn’t have used the word great. The interception was solid. Agree that the effort from Tkachuk made the play. Any comments on the first one?

The point is that its pretty disingenuous to pretend Brannstrom has never made a defensive play.

For that matter, his deficiencies on defense are smaller than some of the competitions’ deficiencies in the neutral and offensive zones.
The first video was much better. He skates the puck out of danger and it allows his teammates to get open which he is able to reach with a nice pass.

Reactions: Bileur

NeedlessSeals

Jun 1, 2021
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Brannstrom was fifth in PPG for defencemen in his age group last season. The four guys ahead of him (Hughes, Heiskanen, Ty Smith, and Boqvist) all played more minutes at 5v5 and on the powerplay and likely didn't spend more than half their season with a Gudbranson type.

He might end up nothing more than a 1-dimensional, all offense defender but at least he's shaping up to be a half decent one. Hope he has another strong outing tonight and gets the call up sometime soon.

Reactions: Bileur

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Brannstrom was fifth in PPG for defencemen in his age group last season. The four guys ahead of him (Hughes, Heiskanen, Ty Smith, and Boqvist) all played more minutes at 5v5 and on the powerplay and likely didn't spend more than half their season with a Gudbranson type.

He might end up nothing more than a 1-dimensional, all offense defender but at least he's shaping up to be a half decent one. Hope he has another strong outing tonight and gets the call up sometime soon.
A 1-dimensional Brannstrom has more dimensions than half of the Sens current defencemen.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Watching Mete, MDZ and even Zub (sorry guys) fail to QB the 2nd PP makes it extremely obvious we're missing a defenseman that can contribute offense and move the puck up ice.

Only team in the league with zero goals from it's blueline could obviously use another OFD. No excuse to not give Brannstrom a shot after the terrible recent play from Brown, Mete and Zaitsev.

NeedlessSeals

Jun 1, 2021
Watching Mete, MDZ and even Zub (sorry guys) fail to QB the 2nd PP makes it extremely obvious we're missing a defenseman that can contribute offense and move the puck up ice.

Only team in the league with zero goals from it's blueline could obviously use another OFD. No excuse to not give Brannstrom a shot after the terrible recent play from Brown, Mete and Zaitsev.

Agreed, but to be fair to those guys I don't know if prime Karlsson could QB a power play with the kind of offensive "talent" we have on the 2nd PP

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Brannstrom was in the building (Tampa) but not rostered. So were about four forwards (Kelly dressed). They were sent down after the game. What could the rationale be for that?
It really is time to understand Mete, MDZ, JBrown are finished here. Zaitsev and Holden are on the border. It really is time to bring up Brannstrom on to the roster as he’s at least better than those three mentioned. Bring up Thomson, JBD perhaps on a rotational basis for 10 games (one at a time) to let them gain experience with the skills they are honing in Belleville. If each got 20ish games of NHL this season we’d see what we have plus they would not be raw rookies next season when Sanderson arrives. our D is going to be young next year. Build experience for a few of them. Turn a negative (JB, MDZ, Mete) in to an opportunity.
and if the rotation does not work, then we know for sure we need a trade (and that means picks and prospects out) and a solid draft. Take the time now in a season almost lost to understand what’s coming and the potential we have with them.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The trade that brought Bran here is exactly what is holding us up....We need a legit top 6 RW or a legit top 4 ,we got neither...But gave up Mark Stone,this is why we fail....If Stone didnt want to be here for a rebuild,then u trade him right there and then not wait until you have no other choice

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom was in the building (Tampa) but not rostered. So were about four forwards (Kelly dressed). They were sent down after the game. What could the rationale be for that?
It really is time to understand Mete, MDZ, JBrown are finished here. Zaitsev and Holden are on the border. It really is time to bring up Brannstrom on to the roster as he’s at least better than those three mentioned. Bring up Thomson, JBD perhaps on a rotational basis for 10 games (one at a time) to let them gain experience with the skills they are honing in Belleville. If each got 20ish games of NHL this season we’d see what we have plus they would not be raw rookies next season when Sanderson arrives. our D is going to be young next year. Build experience for a few of them. Turn a negative (JB, MDZ, Mete) in to an opportunity.
and if the rotation does not work, then we know for sure we need a trade (and that means picks and prospects out) and a solid draft. Take the time now in a season almost lost to understand what’s coming and the potential we have with them.

They were here to fill in if more players tested positive for Covid.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This will be an interesting thread if he plays like a typical bottom 4 Sens defenceman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad