Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
He needs a better partner to develop , Hainsley then Gudb it's not ideal. At least a D who can make a good pass.
The only bright spot actually is on the pp.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we have Chabot & Sanderson on the left side in future & JBD & maybe Zub on the right where does that leave Brannstrom? While it remains to be seen how good JBD will be in the NHL I think Brannstrom has the most competition coming after him. I doubt he beats out Sanderson for a job, Sanderson already looks like he is going to be a dynamic defenceman in all zones for this team & Chabot IMO is a given on the team. JBD has looked great at the UND & in the WJC & looks like he could be a steady defenceman for this team, but we still need to see it at the NHL level.

Zub is solid in all three zones so I think he gets a spot on RD unless he starts to decline somehow. Lassie is slightly bigger than Brannstrom, a little tougher, hits more & is solid on his skates. Unless somehow Brannstrom can start putting up pts consistently I don't see why he would be in instead of Thomson. Brannstrom has 3 yrs of pro & Thomson is in his first yr, but if he can start improving his decision making & putting up some pts I think he could replace Brannstrom sooner rather than later. Guennette is another guy with less pedigree who was having an outstanding season until Covid hit last yr & could be another player to contend in future for a spot. Other than skate the puck out of the defensive zone I don't see much more to Brannstrom's game that would keep him in the lineup especially if one of these guys starts to accumulate pts in the offensive zone IMO Brannstrom is screwed.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion still sees Brannstrom as a top 4 D (interview TSN today) he says definitely sees him as a top 4... I think that is very wishful thinking and it also shows a problem with Dorion banking on his past decisions

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion still sees Brannstrom as a top 4 D (interview TSN today) he says definitely sees him as a top 4... I think that is very wishful thinking and it also shows a problem with Dorion banking on his past decisions

I think it’s spin. Let him play great in the AHL and move him later.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

He looked really good in some games (much better than at any point last season) and pretty bad in others. The Batherson analogy is interesting because he had a similar outlook in his 20 games.

I wouldn’t say he’s a lock for being a top 4 but he showed flashes of it that we didn’t see in the NHL last year (only in the AHL). It’s not all doom and gloom despite him being scratched imo

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020

I actually agree with Dorion on this. I wanted to see Brannstrom get some games and after watching, he's just not quite there yet. You can see flashes of what he'll bring but he looks like an undersized 21 year old. I think he'll be a good defenseman but he needs to add some strength and continue refining his game at the NHL level. Top 4 is a realistic expectation, will be curious to see whether they try Sanderson on the right side.

Reactions: NB613 and swiftwin

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I don't think so. He is still young and looked far better this year than last year IMO so let him go down, get reps, help the B-Sens win some games and come back up even better.

At his age he should have a D partner that makes his life easier in the NHL but unfortunately we don't have those players right now.

I am still happy that Wolanin gets to play more as well so this is win/win in my books.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He's 21 and has shown flashes of brillance.

We haven't had a good partner for him this year and Gudbranson is total shitshow. He hasn't been put in a position to succeed.

I see no real reason to think he's definitely not got top 4 potential.

Reactions: Sensinitis

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, Brannstrom is having a very similar season to Ryan Ellis and Jared Spurgeon his age.

Unless he moves to RD moving forward, I doubt we keep him 3rd pair LD. Could be used in package for number 1 C or similar RD youngster.

Reactions: NB613

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I do not think Dorion sees farther then his nose. He is a terrible scout and a talent assessor. Every scout in the world had Jamie Drysdale in top 5 and Sanderson around 10 in consolidated rating. I close my eyes when Dorion is drafting a player. Such an idiot!! Drysdale will be a superstar and James Norris Memorial Trophy caliber of a player. Sanderson is just top 4.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I do not think Dorion sees farther then his nose. He is a terrible scout and a talent assessor. Every scout in the world had Jamie Drysdale in top 5 and Sanderson around 10 in consolidated rating. I close my eyes when Dorion is drafting a player. Such an idiot!! Drysdale will be a superstar and James Norris Memorial Trophy caliber of a player. Sanderson is just top 4.
Well SOMEBODY's a Grumpy Gus.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Terrible. Sanderson just put on a hell of a performance as UND's best player in the NCHC final game for UND to win their first ever championship and he's still 18. Saying Sanderson is just top 4 is complete ignorance of his ability.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He's 21 and has shown flashes of brillance.

We haven't had a good partner for him this year and Gudbranson is total shitshow. He hasn't been put in a position to succeed.

I see no real reason to think he's definitely not got top 4 potential.
I think flashes just doesn't cut it at this level. I have no qualms to send him back to Belleville for the rest of the season. I like the Batherson analogy by Dorion and I think it fits perfectly. In fact, the way he puts it may have elevated my opinion of Brannstrom and cut him some slack, because I don't see an NHL defenceman right now

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Terrible. Sanderson just put on a hell of a performance as UND's best player in the NCHC final game for UND to win their first ever championship and he's still 18. Saying Sanderson is just top 4 is complete ignorance of his ability.

That's the second reincarnation of Eric right there. Sanderson would never move like this, EVER!! You draft the best player available ALWAYS, because it is much easier to get back better pieces, when you trade him in the future. It is GM 101. I bet with a second round pick and Jamie, we would land Jack Eichel for him. And why to defend Dorion? He is a schmuck among his peers and not considered a hockey guy.
And what? Dorion knows better then every fricking hockey scout in the world? LOL

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’d be the #1 trade piece for me. Don’t see him in our top 4, some other team may overvalue him. Should get full value for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad