Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What exactly has been disappointing about the way the organization has handled Brannstrom?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
f*** me, I just lost a whole post from a page crash....

I think Bran is going to be great player for us. He’s young, and has some flashes of brilliance.

The things he needs to work on are getting stronger and learning to break the cycle and separate players from pucks. He’s short, but with stronger legs and a low centre of gravity he can definitely be effective.

The league isn’t filled with big bruising wingers, nor do most big players in the league play big. EB cam learn to play that side of the puck better, and I think he will.

Belleville has been great for his development, and we shouldn’t be even considering him a bust yet.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
Had high hopes for him. I haven't had a chance to watch many games with him in the lineup. How are his skating skills compared to the likes of Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen and Drysdale?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Had high hopes for him. I haven't had a chance to watch many games with him in the lineup. How are his skating skills compared to the likes of Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen and Drysdale?

He's not as explosive as Hughes or Makar. Not really close. He's not as fast as Heiskanen either. He's shifty as hell. Doesn't necessarily know how to use that skill in the NHL yet to the best of his abilities.

Reactions: Oral64 and Kg810

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
He's not as explosive as Hughes or Makar. Not really close. He's not as fast as Heiskanen either. He's shifty as hell. Doesn't necessarily know how to use that skill in the NHL yet to the best of his abilities.

With that said, do you think he's better off learning to hone his skills in the NHL or is he better off figuring out his game in the minors?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
With that said, do you think he's better off learning to hone his skills in the NHL or is he better off figuring out his game in the minors?

For this year, personally for him, I don't think it matters either way. He's not gonna learn that much at the AHL level at this point that he won't have to re-learn at the NHL level.

Frustration for many fans comes from the fact that we have such a bad D that the sentiment is that he deserves to be in the NHL. That's my view on it anyway.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He did get blasted a couple times they might be trying to protect him from getting seriously hurt.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
For this year, personally for him, I don't think it matters either way. He's not gonna learn that much at the AHL level at this point that he won't have to re-learn at the NHL level.

Frustration for many fans comes from the fact that we have such a bad D that the sentiment is that he deserves to be in the NHL. That's my view on it anyway.

I think he simply needs to be stronger, both upper and lower body strength. If your short, you have to be strong and he's not

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Whatever you may think of Simpson, the man is still miles ahead of Brennan when it comes to credibility.

I have no issues with Simmer offering a strong opinion , right or wrong as it may turn out.. He is one of very few Ottawa media voices with a hockey background that offers an unvarnished opinion. You don't have to agree with it .. I'm glad we have someone like that covering the Sens.

I'll take him over Garrioch, Brown and Wilson who just parrot what the org says.. Oh right, I forgot the org does no wrong.. Dorion the 5D chess master... while Simmer and I, and maybe a sprinkling of others are just too dumb to get it.

Reactions: GCK and topshelf15

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have no issues with Simmer offering a strong opinion , right or wrong as it may turn out.. He is one of very few Ottawa media voices with a hockey background that offers an unvarnished opinion. You don't have to agree with it .. I'm glad we have someone like that covering the Sens.

I'll take him over Garrioch, Brown and Wilson who just parrot what the org says.. Oh right, I forgot the org does no wrong.. Dorion the 5D chess master... while Simmer and I, and maybe a sprinkling of others are just too dumb to get it.

Why so bitter all the time?

Those guys don’t speak for the organization, this is just silly and simple. They are generally sympathetic to the organization because they report on the local team and enjoy access, but this isn’t news or new to any beat reporters of any team. Bruce has made all kinds of comments in game that refer to ownership issues, or troubles with players and trades. He just doesn’t thrash the team like some folks seem to require in order to not despise a reporter.

Even Wally and Meth don’t slag the organization, both guys seem to genuinely like the Sens, and either stay away from topics that would be insulting to the team, or they simply just don’t have hardline views.

I find the hate and insults for the local reporters really weird. It’s generally the same posters who hate pretty much everything about the team who do it, so maybe that’s par for the course.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I find the hate and insults for the local reporters really weird. It’s generally the same posters who hate pretty much everything about the team who do it, so maybe that’s par for the course.

Do you know who this team's reporters are? The Sun guys or ex-guys are loathsome individuals - petty, unprofessional, arrogant and idiotic. They're about as ill-equipped for their jobs as Pierre Dorion would be at lining up as the first line center for the team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why so bitter all the time?

Those guys don’t speak for the organization, this is just silly and simple. They are generally sympathetic to the organization because they report on the local team and enjoy access, but this isn’t news or new to any beat reporters of any team. Bruce has made all kinds of comments in game that refer to ownership issues, or troubles with players and trades. He just doesn’t thrash the team like some folks seem to require in order to not despise a reporter.

Even Wally and Meth don’t slag the organization, both guys seem to genuinely like the Sens, and either stay away from topics that would be insulting to the team, or they simply just don’t have hardline views.

Garrioch and gord and dean most certainly carry the water. And that’s totally fine. That is their job. Not every reporter is going to ask tough questions. And melnyk isn’t exactly....open to that sort of thing either.

Reactions: Sweatred

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you know who this team's reporters are? The Sun guys or ex-guys are loathsome individuals - petty, unprofessional, arrogant and idiotic. They're about as ill-equipped for their jobs as Pierre Dorion would be at lining up as the first line center for the team.
Don has become all those things but directed at the team now. So he’s funny

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I can't think of a single Garrioch article that's ever been remotely critical of Dorion (and I read just about all of them). He knows which side his bread is buttered on, and that's fine. Like Denzel said in Training Day , 'This newspaper...its 90% bullshit, but it's entertaining. That's why I read it, because it entertains me."

Reactions: SensHulk

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
f*** me, I just lost a whole post from a page crash....

I think Bran is going to be great player for us. He’s young, and has some flashes of brilliance.

The things he needs to work on are getting stronger and learning to break the cycle and separate players from pucks. He’s short, but with stronger legs and a low centre of gravity he can definitely be effective.

The league isn’t filled with big bruising wingers, nor do most big players in the league play big. EB cam learn to play that side of the puck better, and I think he will.

Belleville has been great for his development, and we shouldn’t be even considering him a bust yet.

I’m getting pretty tired of losing brilliant posts to page crashes as well ;)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Whatever you may think of Simpson, the man is still miles ahead of Brennan when it comes to credibility.

If you're going to be a hockey journalist, you had better:

(a) Have better sources than me;
(b) Be a better hockey analyst than me;
(c) Be more entertaining than I am.

Otherwise, why exactly am I reading your stuff?

I think Brennan was mailing it in by the early 2000s.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
What exactly has been disappointing about the way the organization has handled Brannstrom?

My issue and without making this about gudbransson is that we havent given him looks with others (not consistently anyways) to see if it is maybe a fit issue vs a player issue. Dont get me wrong some of it is on brannstrom. But just like how reilly did not look good until this year when he played with zub it is clear that your partner also makes a difference as to how you look and play.

Hell look at chabot with and with out Demelo.

Bran isnt on that level and obviously there will be growing pains. I dont even mind him being sent down for a confidence boost. But the fact that as soon as Brannstrom draws back in the lineup and is paired with Gudbransson is disappointing. Coburn and J Brown have been mediocre as well but a different look would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad