Erie Otters 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
That's a loaded question...

Downtown by the arena you could do Sloppy Duck, Rum Runner's The Cove, U pick 6 Tap House, if you want fancy Oliver's Rooftop, Smugglers Wharf (if still open), Cloud 9 Wine Bar, Shoreline Bar and Grill. Depends on how much you wanna spend really.

Lunch, El Amigo is good, Molly Brannigan's (Irish Pub and sponsor of Otters) or even the flagship food city hall. Most of the above will also apply.
Molly Brannigans is still closed for repairs. Smugglers is open.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Folks…my wife and I are heading to your fair city next weekend to catch a couple games. What’s:

1) a good place to grab dinner before the Saturday game? Ideally a barbecue and/or steak joint.
2) a good place to grab lunch before the Sunday game? Any type of food.
I don't live in Erie anymore but anytime I go back to visit family, we always stop by Federal Hill Smokehouse on 26th and Peach, only about five minutes from the arena. It's a fantastic barbecue place and a great spot to go to for lunch (they are open from 11:00 - 3:00).

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I don't live in Erie anymore but anytime I go back to visit family, we always stop by Federal Hill Smokehouse on 26th and Peach, only about five minutes from the arena. It's a fantastic barbecue place and a great spot to go to for lunch (they are open from 11:00 - 3:00).

The only thing you need to be aware of with Federal Hill (agree with EON they are amazing), when they sellout of everything. They close. So if you're going, go early. They may close at 1 pm if they have a busy day.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
66 year old Stan Butler officially named head coach. OHL Insiders reported they were looking at him a couple weeks ago but I assumed it'd be in a "senior advisor" role. Very interested to see how his trap style and unwillingness to allow players to be creative and take chances offensively will translate in the uber skilled 2023 game. Got his first head coaching job in the OHL 29 years ago coaching the Gens from 1994-1996. Windsor head coach Marc Savard was the leading scorer on those teams

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
66 year old Stan Butler officially named head coach. OHL Insiders reported they were looking at him a couple weeks ago but I assumed it'd be in a "senior advisor" role. Very interested to see how his trap style and unwillingness to allow players to be creative and take chances offensively will translate in the uber skilled 2023 game
Welcome back GU
Very nearly the exact way it translates 5vs5 in NB right now if given similar players. One or both of Kulakov & Sova and Alfano should thrive. I’d guess Spence, Gilmartin, and Molnar too. Fimis might not last as a centre for long.

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
66 year old Stan Butler officially named head coach. OHL Insiders reported they were looking at him a couple weeks ago but I assumed it'd be in a "senior advisor" role. Very interested to see how his trap style and unwillingness to allow players to be creative and take chances offensively will translate in the uber skilled 2023 game. Got his first head coaching job in the OHL 29 years ago coaching the Gens from 1994-1996. Windsor head coach Marc Savard was the leading scorer on those teams

I have so many questions about this hiring...

First, if he's 66 is this long term? If not, why?
How will our kids respond to an old school coach?
Is his coaching philosophy outdated?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Welcome back GU
Very nearly the exact way it translates 5vs5 in NB right now if given similar players. One or both of Kulakov & Sova and Alfano should thrive. I’d guess Spence, Gilmartin, and Molnar too. Fimis might not last as a centre for long.
According to eliteprospects rosters, North Bay is the 11th biggest team in the league and Erie is the 17th biggest (aka 4th smallest). The Gens are the biggest (and 2nd youngest) which I would not have guessed

I have so many questions about this hiring...

First, if he's 66 is this long term? If not, why?
How will our kids respond to an old school coach?
Is his coaching philosophy outdated?
He coaches a style where you need 100% buy in or it won't work. But if there's 100% buy in then it's a very good style because it's extremely frustrating to play against. But will the skilled players of the 2023 game be willing to just sit in the neutral zone all game waiting for 7 minutes left in the 3rd period where they finally get their first chance and win 1-0? That's the big question

Reactions: Mata

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Stan likes them big - especially on d - think of his 'twin towers' Kyle Wood {6'5"/235) and Riley Bruce (6'7"/203).

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
According to eliteprospects rosters, North Bay is the 11th biggest team in the league and Erie is the 17th biggest (aka 4th smallest). The Gens are the biggest (and 2nd youngest) which I would not have guessed
This seems a little off, probably because the comparison uses the full 30 carded roster. Actual TOI, NB would be one of if not biggest teams I’m sure.
He coaches a style where you need 100% buy in or it won't work. But if there's 100% buy in then it's a very good style because it's extremely frustrating to play against. But will the skilled players of the 2023 game be willing to just sit in the neutral zone all game waiting for 7 minutes left in the 3rd period where they finally get their first chance and win 1-0? That's the big question
Every system needs buy-in to be effective.
The players and system used by the battalion by Butler’s former assistant GM and Coach is really the same as it was ~2012-2015 when Brampton/NB had a puck moving D and overall good teams.
Butler did resort to extreme defensive measures sort of using 3 checking lines, and a scoring line when the team was at the bottom of cycles and rebuild. But even then, that one very relied on scoring line played a near exact game the top six is right now. The difference is Nelson is the best puck mover and stretch passer the has had since Dineen.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So sorry to hear the news. GL With Butler. You will need it.

25 seasons as a head coach and 13 playoff rounds won. One Finals “appearance.” Some would call it average. I’m not sure it qualifies as such.

I’m utterly shocked someone hired him.

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Maybe goon squads and 1990's hockey is what this team needs...

Or here is another thought, maybe he takes over for DB when he gets canned and Stan becomes our new GM?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Every system needs buy-in to be effective.
The players and system used by the battalion by Butler’s former assistant GM and Coach is really the same as it was ~2012-2015 when Brampton/NB had a puck moving D and overall good teams.
Butler did resort to extreme defensive measures sort of using 3 checking lines, and a scoring line when the team was at the bottom of cycles and rebuild. But even then, that one very relied on scoring line played a near exact game the top six is right now. The difference is Nelson is the best puck mover and stretch passer the has had since Dineen.
I don't agree. Most styles are reliant on talent and players using their instincts to make good plays. Stan's (in the past, maybe he's changed?) is not reliant on that at all, which is why skilled players get frustrated because it takes a lot of their creativity out of their game. But the depth guys typically flourish for him and reach more of their full OHL potential because they're more willing to play that role.

North Bay now is way, way, way more free flowing and run and gun than they ever were under Stan. Other than their jerseys being the same and them having some tall players, its not very similar at all.

Maybe goon squads and 1990's hockey is what this team needs...

Or here is another thought, maybe he takes over for DB when he gets canned and Stan becomes our new GM?
Assume that'll be the case. Butler was always the coach and GM because he needs an exact roster of "his type of guys" to succeed with his style

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't agree. Most styles are reliant on talent and players using their instincts to make good plays. Stan's (in the past, maybe he's changed?) is not reliant on that at all, which is why skilled players get frustrated because it takes a lot of their creativity out of their game. But the depth guys typically flourish for him and reach more of their full OHL potential because they're more willing to play that role.

North Bay now is way, way, way more free flowing and run and gun than they ever were under Stan. Other than their jerseys being the same and them having some tall players, its not very similar at all.

Assume that'll be the case. Butler was always the coach and GM because he needs an exact roster of "his type of guys" to succeed with his style

Stan has a fine collection of Participation Ribbons though! There’s that!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Stan has a fine collection of Participation Ribbons though! There’s that!
From 2009-2015 Butler had his team in two OHL finals and a conference final where arguably his best team lost to Oshawa.
It was 2005 then 2019 for such appearances by the ‘67s.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I would expect Butler has changed a bit. He has seen things from a different perspective the past couple of years. And he looks healthy and a whole lot more relaxed than his final 1.5 seasons when he was not behind the bench for much of that time and unable to be on the ice for practice at all.
Look closely, the play and players are not at all noticeably different from Butler and his disciples. The difference is 5 years (2001-2005 born) of 5-6 picks by round 4, including a 1st overall import and 1st overall RD that is an integral part of the right of centre stretch break out set up by the left board funnel D that has been in place for at least a decade.
If you can’t watch; look at past names, positions, results. Is it coincidence that the top point and/or goal scorers are RW from Goodrow, Brazeau, Coe, MacDonald; all the power centres from Zito, Jackson, MacKenzie, Amadio; and Dineen, Swede import, Nelson are PP QB and top scoring D that play the right side? Have a gander at the size/type of LD drafted by Dennis.

Last edited:

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Omg67 and dirty12 and others : appreciate the info

It appears as though Butler has 1) the experience for sure and 2)is at least respected and known in the junior hockey world . 3) his teams aren’t a pushover and are known for grit .. about the only thing some on this team can do “right “ now - is fight ..are these trap style teams geared for conservative / low scoring games ??

I agree w Mata that he may give a stint as Head Coach then take over GM duties in 2-3 years ?? aprox how many of his 25 years as coach has his teams made the playoffs and averaged a middle of the pack team for wins at times better ??I have not researched this yet to know )

From my standpoint it can’t be any worse than Ftorek , Sidorowicz, Hartsburg or Adams .. literally - can’t be any worse .. also was there health issues that he’s now overcome ?? Remember Bidens 80 years old - in the States here we ride the tar outa people so at 66 he seems pretty with it ..lol

Ty

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017

It appears as though Butler has 1) the experience for sure and 2)is at least respected and known in the junior hockey world . 3) his teams aren’t a pushover and are known for grit .. about the only thing some on this team can do “right “ now - is fight ..are these trap style teams geared for conservative / low scoring games ??

I agree w Mata that he may give a stint as Head Coach then take over GM duties in 2-3 years ?? aprox how many of his 25 years as coach has his teams made the playoffs and averaged a middle of the pack team for wins at times better ??I have not researched this yet to know )

From my standpoint it can’t be any worse than Ftorek , Sidorowicz, Hartsburg or Adams .. literally - can’t be any worse .. also was there health issues that he’s now overcome ?? Remember Bidens 80 years old - in the States here we ride the tar outa people so at 66 he seems pretty with it ..lol

Ty
Didn't show much grit last night in Niagara...brutal game for Erie.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Some of that is on Erie OHL website. I think it was 21/24 years in playoffs.
From my standpoint it can’t be any worse than Ftorek , Sidorowicz, Hartsburg or Adams .. literally - can’t be any worse .. also was there health issues that he’s now overcome ??
He was ill, completely out of the game for six months or more followed by coaching practice from the bench.
He looks healthy and happy enough now, though; have seen him often enough at wolves games.
Remember Bidens 80 years old - in the States here we ride the tar outa people so at 66 he seems pretty with it ..lol

Ty

Reactions: 7D442
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad