Erie Otters 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It really sucks that we don’t have much Otters coverage in town anymore. I’d love to do it but I’m only 17 lol. I plan on writing some articles this year and continuing Otters coverage over at @OttersZone
I would agree to help too but just don’t have the time. It’s a lot of work to keep up and does require some level of knowledge or contact with the inside to have it be the best or most accurate reporting

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I would agree to help too but just don’t have the time. It’s a lot of work to keep up and does require some level of knowledge or contact with the inside to have it be the best or most accurate reporting
Plus the Otters cleaned out the house and got rid of all their normal game day people and Otto will be a different person this year. Not that it affects much, but any of those people could have an inside access to being a reporter on the side.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I just realized, Sunday we will get to hopefully see the #1 and #2 pick from this draft on the ice facing one another for the first time of hopefully many!

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Like I said previously - they were going to sign someone at forward to get to 13 and whoever that was, that person was going to have some size. Messier a FA listed at 6’4. Out of Pens Elite program so nice to continue that relationship. Based on stats, it doesn’t seem like this is a huge signing. He’s a depth player but offers size that maybe can translate into some grit, PK ability, and just a general net presence in the bottom 3. At best, maybe he develops into a Hoffmann type role. Side note: He looks like Matt Paton. But I have no expectations for the kid.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Another signing. This one is their 3rd round pick in u18 draft. Listed at 5’11 and 6’0

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

They also announced Ty Henry!

That kid could be a stud on the blue line!

He was listed at 6’01 at the draft and prior to that, 5’11. He’s now 6’02. Good size.

So far a promising draft in 2022 with Spence, Gibbons, Holomego, and Henry locked in. 4 of their top 5 picks. But still extremely disappointed in not being able to get Sawyer considering offense is by far their biggest need.

Erie has 9 defensemen signed.
Kyrou, Morton, Sova, Johnston, Kulakov, Sauder, Alboim, Holomego, Henry. This gives potentially some flexibility to move Kyrou at the deadline. Johnston also a potential option to move. Kyrou, Morton, Kulakov unlikely returning next year so it’s nice to sign up two of their 2022 picks in preparation for that

Reactions: Mata

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Is Kulakov in camp? I don't recall seeing his name listed on the training camp roster.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Is Kulakov in camp? I don't recall seeing his name listed on the training camp roster.
Yes. His name was on the camp roster but also here is some physical confirmation

Attachments

• 519AF996-95FE-428E-B123-25BE39955BE4.jpeg
    519AF996-95FE-428E-B123-25BE39955BE4.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 7

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We talk so much about the lack of reporting on this team since Vic left but it’s tweets like these that remind me why I didn’t like Vic either. I don’t just want reporting.. I want someone with knowledge and the willingness to be real with fans

Messier is a signed 2005 FA. Correct me if I’m wrong, but historically has Erie ever signed a FA under these circumstances to then send them to the minors? It’s much more likely with guys like Henry/Holomego who are 2006, drafted players, and playing a position that needs a bit more development.

I know the team is at 14 signed forwards but it could be an indication that they go 14 forwards 7 defense to start with a potential forward trade pending. Again, they want to get bigger. So it’s possible another small forward - Artichuk, Ross, Edwards, Saganiuk - is on the move after preseason action. Either way, I don’t see why you sign a FA like Messier unless he’s in your immediate roster plans. Otherwise that seems like a waste of a contract for both player and team

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
We talk so much about the lack of reporting on this team since Vic left but it’s tweets like these that remind me why I didn’t like Vic either. I don’t just want reporting.. I want someone with knowledge and the willingness to be real with fans

Messier is a signed 2005 FA. Correct me if I’m wrong, but historically has Erie ever signed a FA under these circumstances to then send them to the minors? It’s much more likely with guys like Henry/Holomego who are 2006, drafted players, and playing a position that needs a bit more development.

I know the team is at 14 signed forwards but it could be an indication that they go 14 forwards 7 defense to start with a potential forward trade pending. Again, they want to get bigger. So it’s possible another small forward - Artichuk, Ross, Edwards, Saganiuk - is on the move after preseason action. Either way, I don’t see why you sign a FA like Messier unless he’s in your immediate roster plans. Otherwise that seems like a waste of a contract for both player and team

I suppose it is possible to sign someone who missed their rookie campaign and throw them in minors, but unlikely. You have to assume most kids take probably 2 - 2.5 years to really take off in the OHL.

Perhaps he was someone BJ had high on his list but Hartsburg thought otherwise?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I suppose it is possible to sign someone who missed their rookie campaign and throw them in minors, but unlikely. You have to assume most kids take probably 2 - 2.5 years to really take off in the OHL.

Perhaps he was someone BJ had high on his list but Hartsburg thought otherwise?
Possibly. Its obviously different with Henry/Holomego but Messier is already a 2005. If he’s not ready now, at that size, I don’t get the idea of signing him. I would have to dig back into historical data to see whether this is accurate or how far it goes back but I would guess they have never signed a draft+1 year FA and then didn’t have him on the roster. Heck, they might have never or rarely ever signed any draft+1 year player (even the ones they drafted or own rights to) and sent him back in the minors.

I’m sure defensive coach BJ Adams likes a guy with that size. I can’t imagine they sign this kid unless he’s been using his body, hard to the puck, and just an overall pest to play against. Which he better be because …Based on the stats, it seems like he won’t add any offensive production. So this appears to strictly be signing someone for size which they have to do to overcompensate for their small roster, which ding ding ding - is also on Dave Brown for building and then not having the ability to land an import or sign their 2nd rounder Sawyer.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Possibly. Its obviously different with Henry/Holomego but Messier is already a 2005. If he’s not ready now, at that size, I don’t get the idea of signing him. I would have to dig back into historical data to see whether this is accurate or how far it goes back but I would guess they have never signed a draft+1 year FA and then didn’t have him on the roster. Heck, they might have never or rarely ever signed any draft+1 year player (even the ones they drafted or own rights to) and sent him back in the minors.

I’m sure defensive coach BJ Adams likes a guy with that size. I can’t imagine they sign this kid unless he’s been using his body, hard to the puck, and just an overall pest to play against. Which he better be because …Based on the stats, it seems like he won’t add any offensive production. So this appears to strictly be signing someone for size which they have to do to overcompensate for their small roster, which ding ding ding - is also on Dave Brown for building and then not having the ability to land an import or sign their 2nd rounder Sawyer.
I have to agree with your earlier comment about Edwards, Ross, or Artichuk on the bubble and maybe management sees him as more valuable then one of those players or even a Smith or Lowe.

I have to believe they are not done with trades as well. They need offense and badly.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It would also make sense with Ty Henry from a foreshadowing perspective where we sell in December and move someone like Kyrou.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have to agree with your earlier comment about Edwards, Ross, or Artichuk on the bubble and maybe management sees him as more valuable then one of those players or even a Smith or Lowe.

I have to believe they are not done with trades as well. They need offense and badly.
I would love to see them add offense but I don’t think it’s worth wasting assets on this team. Unless you add a game breaker, no offensive player is going to make that big of an impact on this team in terms of the W/L column.

I’ll save my predictions until after preseason but I just see this team as another copy of the last few years. In theory their coaching should be better because at least BJ has a better attitude about him imo and from what I hear. But it’s not like Knoblauch is coaching this team and I have major questions about BJ as a head coach. Their goaltending can’t be any worse and should be better. But how much better? I have my doubts on that. Defensively they should be better with everyone returning and a year older. Offensively they lose Lockhart, DAmato, Hoffmann, Sellan. Alfano should be able to replace 1 of those players’ production. I don’t think Sellan is much of a loss. Hoffmann really just a loss because of the size. Overall I’m not sure how they are better up front. Their production is probably the same as the last few years. It’s possible it’s worse though. Terrance, Bressette, and Cohen in particular need to make big jumps.

They better hope Lalonde is much improved and their defense is consistent and reliable. Otherwise it’s going to be a long year yet again

Curious how other fans view things? Mata, Zin, EON, OttersFan? Do you have any optimism going into the year and if so, how does that compare to the last few years?

It would also make sense with Ty Henry from a foreshadowing perspective where we sell in December and move someone like Kyrou.
I think they have to sell Kyrou if his value is high by the deadline. Unless this team is a top 4/5 seed - not gonna happen - they need to move him.

If he gets you 2/3 high picks and a depth player, that’s a win. He should have big value if he’s producing near PPG again. Let’s hope!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think you’re right about moving on from Kyrou at the deadline but if the forwards buy into a defensive system with Lalonde and that D core I could see them upping their win total by a bit. Losing some of those forwards is gonna hurt but the core that’s left will be a year older and certainly improved.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I would love to see them add offense but I don’t think it’s worth wasting assets on this team. Unless you add a game breaker, no offensive player is going to make that big of an impact on this team in terms of the W/L column.

I’ll save my predictions until after preseason but I just see this team as another copy of the last few years. In theory their coaching should be better because at least BJ has a better attitude about him imo and from what I hear. But it’s not like Knoblauch is coaching this team and I have major questions about BJ as a head coach. Their goaltending can’t be any worse and should be better. But how much better? I have my doubts on that. Defensively they should be better with everyone returning and a year older. Offensively they lose Lockhart, DAmato, Hoffmann, Sellan. Alfano should be able to replace 1 of those players’ production. I don’t think Sellan is much of a loss. Hoffmann really just a loss because of the size. Overall I’m not sure how they are better up front. Their production is probably the same as the last few years. It’s possible it’s worse though. Terrance, Bressette, and Cohen in particular need to make big jumps.

They better hope Lalonde is much improved and their defense is consistent and reliable. Otherwise it’s going to be a long year yet again

Curious how other fans view things? Mata, Zin, EON, OttersFan? Do you have any optimism going into the year and if so, how does that compare to the last few years?

I think they have to sell Kyrou if his value is high by the deadline. Unless this team is a top 4/5 seed - not gonna happen - they need to move him.

If he gets you 2/3 high picks and a depth player, that’s a win. He should have big value if he’s producing near PPG again. Let’s hope!
Coming from the net out to center...

I have a lot of confidence in Lalonde. If he gets a competent backup in either Gibbons or a much improved Nicholls the net situation isn't awful, I'd say for our team they are average until we sort out our backup situation. Lalonde can't be expected to go 50+ games, again. He truthfully should be no more than 40.

Defensively with Kyrou, Morton, Sova, Kulakov as our top 4, I really like it. Johnston, Sauder, and Alboim need to improve quite a bit in year 2 otherwise risk being replaced. Holomego and Henry are likely due next season, but should Kyrou move by December, we will not be nearly as solid. Right now our defense is above average.

I actually believe Kyrou may fetch his best value now instead of waiting. Perhaps he gets called up like D'Amato did last season and we run the risk of losing on any trade.

Offensively I think we are way behind the curve with our departures in addition to our offseason misses. Molnar was a huge miss...speaks volumes to how out of touch DB is. Trying to replace D'Amato/Lockhart combo just isn't happening with our current roster unless Cohen, Terrance, Saganiuk, and either Sedore or Bressette explode. Hoff will be very tough to replace from a special teams standpoint on the defensive end, kinda the same with Sellan leaving. Not the two most skilled players, but they busted butt defensively on special teams so I have to give them that.

Spence also needs to live up to the hype and put up numbers of a 2nd year player, if in fact he is as special as the scouts have him pegged.

If we are to make the playoffs and all the offensive stars align I still think offensively we are slightly behind the curve, but that has been our MO for the past 5 - 6 years. One or two players explode Yeti/Golod, D'Amato, but the supporting cast after our top 3 - 5 players just isn't where it needs to be. We need a true sniper...someone who wants to throw down 40+ goals as well as a supporting cast of at least 3 total players putting up 60+ points. We haven't seen a team anywhere close to that since 2016/2017.

In the land of what ifs...

Molnar, Sawyer, and Alfano (if he lives up to his projection) are likely the pieces needed to make a semi-decent run because right now we are a bubble team for playoffs.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Coming from the net out to center...

I have a lot of confidence in Lalonde. If he gets a competent backup in either Gibbons or a much improved Nicholls the net situation isn't awful, I'd say for our team they are average until we sort out our backup situation. Lalonde can't be expected to go 50+ games, again. He truthfully should be no more than 40.

Defensively with Kyrou, Morton, Sova, Kulakov as our top 4, I really like it. Johnston, Sauder, and Alboim need to improve quite a bit in year 2 otherwise risk being replaced. Holomego and Henry are likely due next season, but should Kyrou move by December, we will not be nearly as solid. Right now our defense is above average.

I actually believe Kyrou may fetch his best value now instead of waiting. Perhaps he gets called up like D'Amato did last season and we run the risk of losing on any trade.

Offensively I think we are way behind the curve with our departures in addition to our offseason misses. Molnar was a huge miss...speaks volumes to how out of touch DB is. Trying to replace D'Amato/Lockhart combo just isn't happening with our current roster unless Cohen, Terrance, Saganiuk, and either Sedore or Bressette explode. Hoff will be very tough to replace from a special teams standpoint on the defensive end, kinda the same with Sellan leaving. Not the two most skilled players, but they busted butt defensively on special teams so I have to give them that.

Spence also needs to live up to the hype and put up numbers of a 2nd year player, if in fact he is as special as the scouts have him pegged.

If we are to make the playoffs and all the offensive stars align I still think offensively we are slightly behind the curve, but that has been our MO for the past 5 - 6 years. One or two players explode Yeti/Golod, D'Amato, but the supporting cast after our top 3 - 5 players just isn't where it needs to be. We need a true sniper...someone who wants to throw down 40+ goals as well as a supporting cast of at least 3 total players putting up 60+ points. We haven't seen a team anywhere close to that since 2016/2017.

In the land of what ifs...

Molnar, Sawyer, and Alfano (if he lives up to his projection) are likely the pieces needed to make a semi-decent run because right now we are a bubble team for playoffs.
Pretty much agree with everything overall.

Quick note that LDN traded 6 high picks to Niagara for Dickinson (4th overall pick who won’t sign there). Niagara will also gets comp 5th overall in 2023 and comp 2nd rounder. Wow

Just reminds you how BAD that 2019 draft was for Erie. Given the state of their team and assets lacking - they still took Lockhart. They had McTavish and Clarke on the board. Either you call their bluff and they show OR you declare them defective and trade them and land the comp picks. At the time I didn’t mind the approach and thought Lockhart would work out. But I’m just a fan and not a GM who needs to look at the bigger picture. Sure, everything is hindsight now but that’s not my fault - I didn’t make the mistake. It’s on DB. I’ll never understand Erie’s approach during this entire rebuild. Yes, they have been hamstrung with assets after a 4 year run but they had a prime chance in 2019 draft to fix that by taking someone like Clarke and getting a ransom in return. It wouldn’t have impacted them in the short term since Lockhart really didn’t help this team win any games in 2019 or really even in 2021 for that matter.

You could have landed 5th overall comp in 2020 draft - giving you a shot at Paul Ludwinski or many others in addition to adding Sova.

You also would have gotten something similar to - if we take the LDN/NIA trade as a blueprint -
2020 comp 2nd
2020 2nd
2021 2nd
2022 2nd
2022 3rd
2023 2nd
2023 3rd

So now this current roster this coming year has someone like Ludwinski, at least 2-3 additional high picked players from 2020-2022, and 2 high picks in the cupboards for next year. In other words, with those assets, you have 2 top 6 forwards and some assets to work with to improve other areas. Not to mention your records in 2019-20 and 2021-22 don’t change much if at all.

What an epic fail by management. Their whole rebuild approach has been whack. They have tried too hard to be “competitive” and not in the basement but instead they are just treading water and about to drown any day now

Reactions: three dog night

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Good thing about Erie is they are signing players with size and hopefully some edge.

Maybe their team evaluating process is changing after 5 years of no success?

Niagara gets in total 9 picks for Dickinson including supplemental 1st and 2nd next year, 3 other 2nds, 3x 3rds and a 5th.

Reactions: three dog night

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Good thing about Erie is they are signing players with size and hopefully some edge.

Maybe their team evaluating process is changing after 5 years of no success?

Niagara gets in total 9 picks for Dickinson including supplemental 1st and 2nd next year, 3 other 2nds, 3x 3rds and a 5th.

The trade is absolutely asinine...

As others have said, most London picks are bottom of the round so it's like getting 3rd and 4th round picks.

Odd that really only 1 team in the entire OHL can do this with any consistency.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not convinced London is still that team. Looks like they are building around their '05 & '06 group. This year will likely be a big down year. They might be into a regular cycle now like every other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad