Erie Otters 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffIceMan

Oct 27, 2013
I was at the game and this is exactly what happened. The penalty box official got it right by letting Johnston out first and the ref sent him back in and told Kulakov to come out. I can't believe the coaches didn't even try to dispute it or the scorekeepers speaking up. Tor he officiating in this game was all around poorly done in this game.
F
I was at the game and this is exactly what happened. The penalty box official got it right by letting Johnston out first and the ref sent him back in and told Kulakov to come out. I can't believe the coaches didn't even try to dispute it or the scorekeepers speaking up. The officiating in this game was all around poorly done in this game.
For full disclosure, I'm one of the off-ice officials that was working the game Thursday night. We had it right by sending Johnston out. The refs were the ones that sent him back to the box. As far as speaking up, this would probably be the reaction from a lot of the refs:
(scan to 56 seconds of the video)

Reactions: Roadhog and Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Just curious on who’s jersey went for the most last night on the Blacked Out Jersey’s? Wish they would save one or two for the dash website.
Terrance went for $1,125, Spence $1,050, Kulakov $1,025 and Lalonde $1,000.

Lalonde looked devastated when he came out, but when his jersey went for a grand he perked up a little.

The black jerseys are VERY limited. I tried to buy one in the store and they only have smalls, mediums, or kids sizes. They aren’t ordering more.

G0Otters

Feb 21, 2022
AA1F2A75-C51B-429A-8EDD-A6AEB5E8FF27.jpeg

With the Otters dismal powerplay, what do people think of them switching their normal powerplay setup (shown on the left) to what is shown on the right? I have seen several other OHL teams utilize the setup on the right to generate more cross ice passes. Seems like we have to try something else.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
View attachment 636928
With the Otters dismal powerplay, what do people think of them switching their normal powerplay setup (shown on the left) to what is shown on the right? I have seen several other OHL teams utilize the setup on the right to generate more cross ice passes. Seems like we have to try something else.

The power play has been an issue for a couple seasons now. Changing the philosophy of it is definitely needed, but I don't know if that comes with a coaching change or not. When I watch other teams come to town their systems seem more complex leading to greater opportunities.

We have been running the same systems with the same coaches (essentially) for 5 seasons now. I am not sure changing the positioning matters as much as new and fresh ideas, but that's just my 2 cents.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
View attachment 636928
They have run both of these and more often than not it is the one on the right. The thing with this is that it is easily defended with an aggressive box defense, especially when the passing efficiency is severely lacking as much as it is. This team struggles greatly with an aggressive defense regardless if it is a PP or not. When the PK has been more passive they tend to have more success on the PP. The other thing that kills them on the PP is not being able to get in the offensive zone on the break in. Opposing teams just clog the neutral zone so they are forced to either dump it in where the D just ices it or they do the highly predictable back pass and it gets broken up. Their passing sucks and their forecheck sucks so its just a rinse and repeat process.

Slaminal

Dec 15, 2021
They have run both of these and more often than not it is the one on the right. The thing with this is that it is easily defended with an aggressive box defense, especially when the passing efficiency is severely lacking as much as it is. This team struggles greatly with an aggressive defense regardless if it is a PP or not. When the PK has been more passive they tend to have more success on the PP. The other thing that kills them on the PP is not being able to get in the offensive zone on the break in. Opposing teams just clog the neutral zone so they are forced to either dump it in where the D just ices it or they do the highly predictable back pass and it gets broken up. Their passing sucks and their forecheck sucks so its just a rinse and repeat process.
This! One of the hallmarks of the Knoblauch teams was vertical passes until zone entry, and they were generally crisp and on target. Soft long passes just yield takeaways, and a dump and chase game only works if you actually chase the puck. When an Erie player is closer to the puck but the opposing player gets to it first Every. Darned. Time. you know you've got a hustle problem. Positionally the Otters look good on defense, but they just don't seem to have a clue on offense. That speaks to the team needing a head coach who can integrate both offensive and defensive strategies. I'm OK with the defensive aspects of their transition game but the passing, both cross-ice and back passes, needs a lot of work. Control the puck and you control the workload on your goalie, develop an effective positional game in the O zone, and good things will happen.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Sam Alfano nets the first of the game. He’s been inching for a goal. Glad he was finally rewarded.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
28-32-3-5

Just taking a stab in the dark. Solely based off preseason which isn’t a large showing, I’m not confident in how we are in the SO. Obviously take it as a grain of salt.

Leading Points - Cohen
Leading Goal Scorer - Alfano
Best Rookie - Spence
Most Improved - Sedore
Biggest Surprise/Wildcard - Artichuk or Signoretti, for some reason I feel like they both need to step up. Otherwise, I’d say Terrance is due to have a big year.

I hope Nicholls can prove himself this year.
I’d like to poke at my season prediction. Artichuk a huge surprise and a hot stick as of late. My other predictions, I don’t want to talk about them.

• Haha

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I have no commentary for tonight’s game other than we should’ve won. We didn’t finish the game.

I’m angry/disappointed/sad/frustrated that they’re not getting points. Excuse me while I just throw my own pity party from my couch. I’m invested in this team and wish they’d see success especially our goaltenders.

They had the momentum at the end of the 2nd and couldn’t make it happen.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Season predictions as far as NOA started...

I’ll say they finish 28-35-2-3 and I'm giving them the 9th seed only because with this prediction we SHOULD sell at the deadline instead of trying to hold an 8th seed and DB will keep everyone while playoff contenders improve.

Leading Points - Cohen
Leading Goal Scorer - Alfano
Best Rookie - Spence (obvious)
Most Improved - Sova
Biggest Surprise/Wildcard - Terrance

I think the 3 keys to success this season will be in no particular order...

1. Steady Goalie play (including backups)
2. We need Terrance and Sova to make leaps
3. Development of team/players from a coaching standpoint.

Points 1 and 3...not happening...we are in an awful spot.

Alfano needs to start scoring 😆 😂 😆
Cohen needs to start producing like mad...

Terrance has become pretty solid for sure, though I would probably have changed the surprise to Bressette at this point. Also, probably put Bressette or Terrance as most improved to this point as well.

I have no commentary for tonight’s game other than we should’ve won. We didn’t finish the game.

I’m angry/disappointed/sad/frustrated that they’re not getting points. Excuse me while I just throw my own pity party from my couch. I’m invested in this team and wish they’d see success especially our goaltenders.

Honestly, this team just can't close games and has absolutely no consistency in the net. We haven't even received that "bump" from the coaching change either, but I'm pretty sure BJ didn't start off super hot when he took over for Hartsburg.

This team is lost, no sense of direction, and I'm not sure it gets corrected with DB, Vince, and Wes.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Points 1 and 3...not happening...we are in an awful spot.

Alfano needs to start scoring 😆 😂 😆
Cohen needs to start producing like mad...

Terrance has become pretty solid for sure, though I would probably have changed the surprise to Bressette at this point. Also, probably put Bressette or Terrance as most improved to this point as well.

Honestly, this team just can't close games and has absolutely no consistency in the net. We haven't even received that "bump" from the coaching change either, but I'm pretty sure BJ didn't start off super hot when he took over for Hartsburg.

This team is lost, no sense of direction, and I'm not sure it gets corrected with DB, Vince, and Wes.
It’s too bad because they’d have a few extra wins if they could close games.

I’ve heard rumblings from Jim Waters regarding the coaching change when I see him at the EIA and where this coach could be coming from. Nothing is official, but they’re taking their time. I don’t want to say much more just incase things change.

Whoever it is, we know Vince and Wes are done. Word on the street is they’re cleaning out the entire house at the end of the season. We need a coach who can turn this team around. The PP has been awful, our PK is getting worse, and our goaltending is very characteristic for Erie.

G0Otters

Feb 21, 2022

I am still trying to figure out how we kept this a one goal game. 5-5 skating looked like Sarnia was on the PP. When we were on the PP it looked like it was even strength. On our 4 minute PP in the 3rd, I think Sarnia had more shots on goal shorthanded than we did including their goal. Can anyone on the team win a faceoff when we need it? Did Messier ever return after his instigating fight? I hope he was benched for that.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It’s too bad because they’d have a few extra wins if they could close games.

I’ve heard rumblings from Jim Waters regarding the coaching change when I see him at the EIA and where this coach could be coming from. Nothing is official, but they’re taking their time. I don’t want to say much more just incase things change.

Whoever it is, we know Vince and Wes are done. Word on the street is they’re cleaning out the entire house at the end of the season. We need a coach who can turn this team around. The PP has been awful, our PK is getting worse, and our goaltending is very characteristic for Erie.
Not just a coach, but a GM as well...hopefully he sees that as well. DB crippled the next person who comes in here by being a "buyer" in a lost season.

Reactions: OttersFan

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Folks…my wife and I are heading to your fair city next weekend to catch a couple games. What’s:

1) a good place to grab dinner before the Saturday game? Ideally a barbecue and/or steak joint.
2) a good place to grab lunch before the Sunday game? Any type of food.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Folks…my wife and I are heading to your fair city next weekend to catch a couple games. What’s:

1) a good place to grab dinner before the Saturday game? Ideally a barbecue and/or steak joint.
2) a good place to grab lunch before the Sunday game? Any type of food.

That's a loaded question...

Downtown by the arena you could do Sloppy Duck, Rum Runner's The Cove, U pick 6 Tap House, if you want fancy Oliver's Rooftop, Smugglers Wharf (if still open), Cloud 9 Wine Bar, Shoreline Bar and Grill. Depends on how much you wanna spend really.

Lunch, El Amigo is good, Molly Brannigan's (Irish Pub and sponsor of Otters) or even the flagship food city hall. Most of the above will also apply.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad