Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
You're not off on that point. Being close to the players in the Bassin years, I know for a fact that Erie was a ----hole destination for quite a few years. Poor coaching, off-ice issues, Bassin being Bassin, players not reporting, etc. It goes on and on. Erie is, as I have stated before, a top destination for players, one of a handful of teams. The Colton Point issue was due to his parents wanting him to get a degree. It had nothing to do with anything else. I spoke to his mother about this, so I got it straight from the horse's mouth. It is hard to turn down an elite school degree, especially when it is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is the only competition I see for any OHL team.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You're not off on that point. Being close to the players in the Bassin years, I know for a fact that Erie was a ----hole destination for quite a few years. Poor coaching, off-ice issues, Bassin being Bassin, players not reporting, etc. It goes on and on. Erie is, as I have stated before, a top destination for players, one of a handful of teams. The Colton Point issue was due to his parents wanting him to get a degree. It had nothing to do with anything else. I spoke to his mother about this, so I got it straight from the horse's mouth. It is hard to turn down an elite school degree, especially when it is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is the only competition I see for any OHL team.
It being a full ride from Colgate university was the difference. You are right with that. And I don’t blame him or his parents pushing that. But in terms of kids who are all in on OHL - I feel confident in saying that all of those kids would report to Erie if we drafted them. Sure we can’t just get every kid we want now, meaning those college guys, but we have way more of a chance of even getting them.

I actually remember the old days. Erie was forced to draft guys like Marchese or McKegg higher than they should have gone because they actually would report. That’s not an issue any more. And hopefully going forward we can convince guys like Schroeder to sign

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I might be off in saying this but I feel like part of the drafting issues in the past (2000s) related to the fact that say 60% of players didn’t want to come here. Now I would guess that close to 90-95% would have no issue reporting to Erie. That’s a big difference when it comes to drafting

Also correct me if I’m wrong but erie hasn’t drafted a defender in round 1 since Gaulton? Which would be 11 years now. And he wasn’t necessarily a bust from talent but injury issues. Drafting defenders in round 1 is far more of a risk than a forward. Which is why erie never does it. You have a better chance of hitting and developing on a late round defender than you do with a late round forward too. So makes sense to draft on offense. And given where there roster is - with 5 2000 or 2001s signed on the backend, no chance they draft a defender. Sure they have to hit on their top 4 pick but it’s a top 4 pick. Virtually everyone has to hit on their top picks. As long as we don’t reach on anyone we should be fine. And given where we are as a franchise, I don’t think we really have to reach on someone out of fear of the guy reporting to team

When you see some of the other talent taken in the first round of Gaulton's year it's clear Erie didn't make the right pick. He was a solid player for several years, but not what you need from a top 4 pick. Erie hit big on Raddysh and Lodnia was a solid pick. McShane was a great selection too. So far Sproule hasn't shown much, but I'm hoping either he, Fowler, or both break out in the 2nd half. Erie will need players in Strome and Raddysh's league to compete for a title, and right now there isn't anyone on the roster of that caliber.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
When you see some of the other talent taken in the first round of Gaulton's year it's clear Erie didn't make the right pick. He was a solid player for several years, but not what you need from a top 4 pick. Erie hit big on Raddysh and Lodnia was a solid pick. McShane was a great selection too. So far Sproule hasn't shown much, but I'm hoping either he, Fowler, or both break out in the 2nd half. Erie will need players in Strome and Raddysh's league to compete for a title, and right now there isn't anyone on the roster of that caliber.
Raffish just got his 1st goal as a Hound

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yes that’s obvious about needing star players to win. Way to early on the Sproule and Fowler jury. Many guys in the past have had rough starts to rookie years and turned it around. Others looked very promising but never panned out. Way too soon with those kids to make judgements. Kyle Schroeder could be in that star catergory if erie pushed to sign him. As far as I can tell he isn’t college committed yet. Have to go get that guy. And then we have a top 4 pick, our best bet. Plus an import and a likely top 6-8 pick in 2019.
Still need to draft and develop but we are in better shape than previous rebuild years imo. Again the Gaulton thing is from 2007. And marchese was what.. 2011? You can’t hit on every one. Even London has their share of “busts”
But I have confidence in the staff. And Sproule has looked a bit better in recent weeks, coinciding with more ice because of WJC/Raddysh gone. Fowler was getting 5 mins a game in SSM with other rookies..let’s actually watch him play. He has the elite skating and elite playmaking and IQ. That usually pans out..

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Yes that’s obvious about needing star players to win. Way to early on the Sproule and Fowler jury. Many guys in the past have had rough starts to rookie years and turned it around. Others looked very promising but never panned out. Way too soon with those kids to make judgements. Kyle Schroeder could be in that star catergory if erie pushed to sign him. As far as I can tell he isn’t college committed yet. Have to go get that guy. And then we have a top 4 pick, our best bet. Plus an import and a likely top 6-8 pick in 2019.
Still need to draft and develop but we are in better shape than previous rebuild years imo. Again the Gaulton thing is from 2007. And marchese was what.. 2011? You can’t hit on every one. Even London has their share of “busts”
But I have confidence in the staff. And Sproule has looked a bit better in recent weeks, coinciding with more ice because of WJC/Raddysh gone. Fowler was getting 5 mins a game in SSM with other rookies..let’s actually watch him play. He has the elite skating and elite playmaking and IQ. That usually pans out..

Not trying to rag on the team - and certainly not on Dave Brown, just hyper-vigilant about these next couple years. I don't know if my Otters fandom could survive another decade of utter futility following an OHL Championship. Luckily Brown is not Sherry Bassin and the Erie Insurance Arena is not the Tullio. Thankfully Jim Waters has deep pockets and has tasted success already, so I've got to believe that increases the likelihood that players like Schroeder come to Erie. They've had better luck getting highly touted Europeans to commit - Burakovsky, Dansk, Cernak than they have players leaning towards NCAA - Dylan Larkin, Drake Caggiula, and going back a bit, Riley Sheahan. I suppose we'll see how it plays out, I'm (cautiously) optimistic.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not trying to rag on the team - and certainly not on Dave Brown, just hyper-vigilant about these next couple years. I don't know if my Otters fandom could survive another decade of utter futility following an OHL Championship. Luckily Brown is not Sherry Bassin and the Erie Insurance Arena is not the Tullio. Thankfully Jim Waters has deep pockets and has tasted success already, so I've got to believe that increases the likelihood that players like Schroeder come to Erie. They've had better luck getting highly touted Europeans to commit - Burakovsky, Dansk, Cernak than they have players leaning towards NCAA - Dylan Larkin, Drake Caggiula, and going back a bit, Riley Sheahan. I suppose we'll see how it plays out, I'm (cautiously) optimistic.
Personally I wish they would draft more college kids. Especially now with the better winning pedigree, better arena, and better alumni. Would like to see them take 2-3 chances every year. Not just 1-2.

I’m right with you about these guys have to develop. And that’s the part we can’t predict. But on offense I like Golod/Gritz. I still think Poddubyni can develop more and if erie wants to, he can be in this league as an OA. Which gives you 2 more years of him. I give a good shot to Mack becoming a solid Betz or Pettit like 3rd liner one day. And then you have two first rounders in Fowler/Sproule. On defense, Duff has come along nicely. Brown is overly praising Beamish, so we shall see. And Kischnick has some outside hype. The collection of talent is there. Actually developing them is another thing. But imagine this team with Neumann and Mcshane? All things considered, with basically minimal 2nd/3rd/4th round picks for 4 years and trading away young talent - erie is in decent position here. And that’s with and because of drafting like this: Golod (13th round pick), Murphy (15th) Martin (5th round) Mack (8), and robinson (11) who we flipped for Beamish

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
Timpano lands at Georgetown OJHL

Two years in a row a high draft pick goalie playing for Otters moves down to OJHL

Lawr no longer playing

Reactions: 7D442

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
for TT we give away a 2nd in 2021
a 3rd in 2020
a 10th in 2018
to Sudbury

well guess it wasn't an injury

yes he played for us, yes we won a championship with him, we stuck with him during good times and in times where he let games get away from us in a hurry, however not kosher in my book...not at all..he could have continued to play for us this year, he could have mentored our other goalies and provided leadership to other newbies, he possibly could have been traded for a few picks for the team, if anyone wanted him..and admittedly im not sure whether they were any takers or not- but to have left the team ( after a championship year no less )could mean he just quit-and didnt allow the team to recoup anything back..

Reactions: Animal House

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
for TT we give away a 2nd in 2021
a 3rd in 2020
a 10th in 2018
to Sudbury

well guess it wasn't an injury

yes he played for us, yes we won a championship with him, we stuck with him during good times and in times where he let games get away from us in a hurry, however not kosher in my book...not at all..he could have continued to play for us this year, he could have mentored our other goalies and provided leadership to other newbies, he possibly could have been traded for a few picks for the team, if anyone wanted him..and admittedly im not sure whether they were any takers or not- but to have left the team ( after a championship year no less )could mean he just quit-and didnt allow the team to recoup anything back..

he would have had to have gone through waivers to be released. if no one wanted him for free im not sure what you guys could have gotten for trade.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Timpano lands at Georgetown OJHL

Two years in a row a high draft pick goalie playing for Otters moves down to OJHL

Lawr no longer playing

timpano did his job, did enough to win them a championship

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
timpano did his job, did enough to win them a championship
Hard for me to say he did his job when he barely even did that. Bottom line is he faced 20-25 shots most nights but had a sub .900 percentage. An .832 save percentage in 5 memorial cups. I know he technically won an OHL title but that team was loaded and filled with chemistry on offense. And their defense was pretty darn steady. They won in spite of him. And they couldn’t win in the mem cup because of him. I hate to say that but it’s true. If Murdaca doesn’t have off ice issues, he is probably here this year not Troy. And maybe starting in the mem cup tourney. Which even just a .900 save percentage in that tourney might have saw Erie winning it. Believe they outshot Windsor a combined 70-40 in the 2 games they played. Timpano gave up 8 goals though. 8 on 40 shots.

Wish him the best. But after Erie stuck with him last year way more than they probably should have and carried him to a title, not vice versa, wish he would have stayed around to mentor the kids and showed loyalty. That being said this Murphy kid has been a pleasant surprise and maybe he can become something. Better he get the ice than Troy

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Hard for me to say he did his job when he barely even did that. Bottom line is he faced 20-25 shots most nights but had a sub .900 percentage. An .832 save percentage in 5 memorial cups. I know he technically won an OHL title but that team was loaded and filled with chemistry on offense. And their defense was pretty darn steady. They won in spite of him. And they couldn’t win in the mem cup because of him. I hate to say that but it’s true. If Murdaca doesn’t have off ice issues, he is probably here this year not Troy. And maybe starting in the mem cup tourney. Which even just a .900 save percentage in that tourney might have saw Erie winning it. Believe they outshot Windsor a combined 70-40 in the 2 games they played. Timpano gave up 8 goals though. 8 on 40 shots.

Wish him the best. But after Erie stuck with him last year way more than they probably should have and carried him to a title, not vice versa, wish he would have stayed around to mentor the kids and showed loyalty. That being said this Murphy kid has been a pleasant surprise and maybe he can become something. Better he get the ice than Troy

agree to disagree. im always of the belief that a team is a team. sure he may have needed to be better at times but i bet i can find many players that need to be better from time to time.

was it stated that he left the team? or did they let him go?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
agree to disagree. im always of the belief that a team is a team. sure he may have needed to be better at times but i bet i can find many players that need to be better from time to time.

was it stated that he left the team? or did they let him go?
Problem I have with him was he gave little in playoffs. Maybe 1-2 great games. It was either awful to average to rest of way. And nearly cost us in rounds 2/3. Which would have been utterly heartbreaking. Doesn’t help that Murdaca played beautifully in relief, showing he was the guy. Erie fans will always wonder “what if” because Murdaca never played 1 second in the mem cup tourney. Not even 1 second
Rumors I heard was Troy left. But those are rumors that people spread just to claim they know stuff. I’ve heard mixed things. I’m sure people know the truth but not sure who knows all of it. For Erie’s sake, I hope the brought up Murphy, he looked good and ready for some games, and they made the decision to go young and look towards future. They have tendency in past to hold on to guys out of too much out of loyalty. If we moved on from him it would imo show that we are making decisions with our head not our heart. And that’s business and how it should be

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Mak named captain - no huge surprise after trades. He will at least be back to start next year

Lodnia and Headrick wearing As. No surprise there. But Erie could have stopped there. Or Fellows for the other A would have been predictable. Ryan Martin given the other A. What a pleasant surprise!

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
well done by Kyle getting the C !!Happy i guessed right but even happier for him...He has matured into an obvious leader on the ice and i just think as good of a skater , playmaker and scorer that this kid is i hope he gets a shot at a contract some day:thumbu:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
If anyone saw the game, I was wondering about the 2 match penalties, one to us and one to the Dogs. Were they legit, and do you think Golod will be suspended? That may have cost us the game, because Golod is a pretty good at shootouts.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
If anyone saw the game, I was wondering about the 2 match penalties, one to us and one to the Dogs. Were they legit, and do you think Golod will be suspended? That may have cost us the game, because Golod is a pretty good at shootouts.
Langdon did not get a match no suspension Golod gets
four games automatic.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Don't know much about Fowler, but it looks like he has similar numbers to Sproule, to which isn't extremely encouraging.

I hated those who made these kinds of assumptions after the Fowler trade. Fowler got no ice time on a deep/older/talented SSM team. SSM also is elite at drafting. They tend to hit on their high picks and they didn’t reach on Fowler. Most things I remember reading had him going in the 10-15 range. But he was considered a top prospect. With skating and IQ that he has, you are getting a player that has the natural born skills you can’t teach.

No surprise to see that with more ice time in Erie, he is starting to have success. Look it’s disappointing to see Erie lose but we pretty much locked up a top 4 pick with back to back OS losses. And with MISS and NB turning things around/winning.. erie is likely getting 3rd overall or better. And Fowler has looked good. The goal today was just his pure talent. He’s benefiting from ice time now.
6gp .. 3g 1a 4pts

Reactions: soo hound girl

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
My wife and I were at the 2 games in OS with some friends. There was a bus load of fans there from Erie also. The boys played hard, but so it goes. Fowler's goal was a thing of beauty. OS is a neat little town with very friendly people. It is worth a trip for any OHL fan.

Reactions: wolfpack99

wolfpack99

Oct 9, 2014
My wife and I were at the 2 games in OS with some friends. There was a bus load of fans there from Erie also. The boys played hard, but so it goes. Fowler's goal was a thing of beauty. OS is a neat little town with very friendly people. It is worth a trip for any OHL fan.
agreed but rink sucks,,,,too small

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
agreed but rink sucks,,,,too small
Disagree. The arena isn't that bad for a town of 18000 people. Great fans there that back there team. Money doesn't grow on trees in small communities.
Watching Erie play in Kitchener I was impressed with their team. Not that easy to play against. It won't take them long to get back into contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad