Recalled/Assigned: Eric O'Dell on waivers CRITICAL MOD WARNING POST #176

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jets management and coaching staff decided that Lowry deserved to play this year, in that 3rd line role. He deserved it based on his play. O'Dell was injured and not able to show he was a better option. **** happens.

Frankly, I think Lowry brings more to the squad (size, physical play, pk ability, net presence) and will be very effective once he gets acclimatized to the NHL. He's been doing well.

It's not all about offence. There has to be some balance in your roster, with guys that can bring something else. Thats why Kyle Wellwood doesn't have an NHL job. But you have to contribute some offence too. Thats why James Wright doesn't have an NHL job. :D

Jets management sees a big player that has the potential to add some points, add a physical game, pk well, and cause some havoc in front of opposing tenders. They value that in this line up. And I agree.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Jets management and coaching staff decided that Lowry deserved to play this year, in that 3rd line role. He deserved it based on his play. O'Dell was injured and not able to show he was a better option. **** happens.

Frankly, I think Lowry brings more to the squad (size, physical play, pk ability, net presence) and will be very effective once he gets acclimatized to the NHL. He's been doing well.

It's not all about offence. There has to be some balance in your roster, with guys that can bring something else. Thats why Kyle Wellwood doesn't have an NHL job. But you have to contribute some offence too. Thats why James Wright doesn't have an NHL job. :D

Jets management sees a big player that has the potential to add some points, add a physical game, pk well, and cause some havoc in front of opposing tenders. They value that in this line up. And I agree.

He retired, I guarantee he would have gotten another NHL job, despite being out of shape, slow, small, weak, with a shot like a 14yr old he was still extremely effective. Wellwood's smarts, vision, and puck control were pretty unbelievable. Easily the most underrated player in Jets 2.0 history thus far IMO.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think you saw both Galiardi and Halischuk were given opportunities to play in 3rd line roles in the preseason and produced. Both are effective on the PK which is where we want soldiers if 7 of our top 9 forwards are going to be used on the PP units. Both have put up 3rd line numbers in the past, 14 and 15 goal campaigns would not be what slugs produce. I just don't see where Petan would have fit into the equation, certainly if you want Perrault to produce, having Lowry as a winger to create space for him is a better strategy I think.

Matter of preference I guess. Personally I'd rather have someone with Perrault who is both quick and quick witted and has the skill to put up numbers. Petan has those, and it doesn't hurt that he displayed defensive responsibility. Jets have plenty of good PKers. I don't think, personally, that they lose much by having Ladd/Little and Kane/xxx doing the job. First, they're pretty good at it. They'll lose a little 5x5 time (Perrault-Petan can pick up a bit more of it), but it's also important to stop the other team's PP, and if the Jets can scare the crap out of them at the same time and pop a few shorties, no harm in that. It sure is fun to watch. As for Gagliardi and Halischuk putting up 15 goals, they seem to be on a bit of a downward trend, and they still seem to me to be fourth liners plugged in where someone else would have been better. Wouldn't have surprised me at all had Petan contributed far more, if not all in goals then in assists. Maybe O'Dell can do that once he plays himself into game shape. Maybe we'll find out, or maybe not.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He retired, I guarantee he would have gotten another NHL job, despite being out of shape, slow, small, weak, with a shot like a 14yr old he was still extremely effective. Wellwood's smarts, vision, and puck control were pretty unbelievable. Easily the most underrated player in Jets 2.0 history thus far IMO.

Retired because he couldn't get a nhl job.

I'd be playing in the nhl too, if someone wanted me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad