Confirmed with Link: Eric Gryba for pick 107(Christian Wolanin) and Travis Ewanyk

WhiteLight*

Whether you liked Gryba or not the reality of the situation was that you could only have one of him or Boro in your top 6 and Boro is the better guy to have in bottom pairing with his leadership and grit so it's no brainer.

Agreed, even if Boro ends up having to play the right side

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Opens door for Wideman?

Video interview with Murray on Sens TV has more details.

-Gives chance for Cowen to play full time.

-Opens spot for Wideman who they're trying hard to sign.

Edit: Also sounds like Greening will be back if they can't trade him, no buyout coming. Didn't sound optimistic about getting a top 6 forward anymore but that they now have the money to re-sign our free agents.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Very happy Wideman is going to get his chance

Whether you liked Gryba or not the reality of the situation was that you could only have one of him or Boro in your top 6 and Boro is the better guy to have in bottom pairing with his leadership and grit so it's no brainer.

100% this.

Methot - Erik Norrisson
Cowen - Ceci
Weircououcuouch - Boro
Wideman

Looks alright, would like to add another top 4 (please Cowen become that top 4)

Weird D-Corps IMO

Method Man - Erik Norrisson
Jared Cowenfeld - Cody Chichi
Weird Couch - Borocop
Big Rig - Wide Man

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Lazar only needs about 2-3 months in the AHL.

He needs absolutely no time in the AHL. As if he learns to score on what will be a very weak offensive team without almost a single NHL caliber offensive player if Wideman is in NHL and you are sending him their to keep Prince through waivers.

Playing with plugs won't help him learn to score and he absolutely has nothing to learn defensively in the AHL and is mature and physically NHL strong.

It makes ZERO sense. It will hinder his development large. It is an atrocious notion.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He needs absolutely no time in the AHL. As if he learns to score on what will be a very weak offensive team without almost a single NHL caliber offensive player if Wideman is in NHL and you are sending him their to keep Prince through waivers.

Playing with plugs won't help him learn to score and he absolutely has nothing to learn defensively in the AHL and is mature and physically NHL strong.

It makes ZERO sense. It will hinder his development large. It is an atrocious notion.

I think you are being a little over critical of our ahl team lol. Its also about playing more minutes and being relied on offensively more then he is in the NHL

Lazar cant have a safe mentality when hes the best offensive player on his team.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Lazar needs to go to the AHL for a couple of seasons. He's a good 2 way player but he needs to develop his offensive game

With who? Wideman likely signs 1 way. Puempel and Prince graduate. Since the only reason to send Lazar is Prince facing waivers.

Not a single even close to NHL caliber offensive player.

How does Lazar get better offensively with worse offensive talent then his junior team?

Horrible idea. Lazar learns to score in the NHL with NHLers. He won't learn to score in the AHL when he is already facing freaking Sydney Crosby now.

You want him to learn to score... Play him occasional shifts in the top 6 in Ottawa.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
With who? Wideman likely signs 1 way. Puempel and Prince graduate. Since the only reason to send Lazar is Prince facing waivers.

How does Lazar get better offensively with worse offensive talent then his junior team?

Horrible idea. Lazar learns to score in the NHL with NHLers. He won't learn to score in the AHL when he is already facing freaking Sydney Crosby now.

You want him to learn to score... Play him occasional shifts in the top 6 in Ottawa.

I dont think we can graduate Prince and Puempel and keep lazar in the NHL. Not enough room.

So if Lazar is down he will likely be playing with Puempel(if prince isnt waived) and maybe even greening who can produce in the AHL

Lazar actually will have some decent offensive players around him. Schneider is one of the best goal scorers in the AHL. Lindberg and Paul will be there. Dzingel will be there

The offense should be good again. The defense might suck

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

If he needs help scoring in the AHL then he's not gonna be a very good player.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

He has to earn minutes over the likes of Mark Stone and Bobby Ryan to get a top 6 shot in the NHL. Even if Lazar reaches his maximum potential that may not be possible.

He just needs to go down for 20 games or so to be "the guy". Get top line minutes, play the PP. Worked very well for Karlsson and Pageau in the past. Play him with Paul and Lindberg. Or maybe Dzingel and McCormick. Obviously the best thing would have been for Lazar to play the majority of his time in the A last year, but that wasn't an option. I think that happens this year for a short stint now that its available.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed 1 or 2 of those career ahlers who put up good ahl numbers. Those small 70 point ahl forwards. We're signing one at some point this summer. Book it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I dont think we can graduate Prince and Puempel and keep lazar in the NHL. Not enough room.

So if Lazar is down he will likely be playing with Puempel(if prince isnt waived) and maybe even greening who can produce in the AHL

Lazar actually will have some decent offensive players around him. Schneider is one of the best goal scorers in the AHL. Lindberg and Paul will be there. Dzingel will be there

The offense should be good again. The defense might suck

We can graduate them if we put Phillips on LTIR(other teams pull this when they are in our situation) and buy out greening (other teams pull this when they are in our situation).

I would graduate prince first as I think puempel ccould use another half season down there.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We can graduate them if we put Phillips on LTIR(other teams pull this when they are in our situation) and buy out greening (other teams pull this when they are in our situation).

I would graduate prince first as I think puempel ccould use another half season down there.

Didnt BM say Greening will not be bought out?

source

Jul 13, 2008
Getting rid of Gryba is not enough! Instead of starting the season with Wideman, we need to sign a good UFA D long-term.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm sad we never got to see what "pre-Eller" Gryba could have done over the past two years as the team developed and made strides to form their own identity in the post-Alfie era.

"Post-Eller" Gryba was nothing but a tease. I hope he gets his game back on track with Edmonton, because it was pretty clear he surely wasn't going to do that here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm sad we never got to see what "pre-Eller" Gryba could have done over the past two years as the team developed and made strides to form their own identity in the post-Alfie era.

"Post-Eller" Gryba was nothing but a tease. I hope he gets his game back on track with Edmonton, because it was pretty clear he surely wasn't going to do that here.

He cannot complain about not getting an opportunity to play! I think he played it safe defensively and played within his capabilities, which are limited by his slowness. Borowiecki is faster and more mobile so he was more physical than Gryba could be. We kept the better Dman IMO. So the D now appears as follows:

Methot - Karlson
Wiercioch/Cowen - Ceci
Cowen/Borowiecki - Wideman/Wiercioch

Deal with Phillips ( trade or retire)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Getting rid of Gryba is not enough! Instead of starting the season with Wideman, we need to sign a good UFA D long-term.

This. Murray however extremely loves Cowen for some reason. He specifically traded Gryba so that Cowen can play.

Expect the same defense next year.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Gryba gave us everything he had. He had some nice moments as a Senator.

Best of luck in Edmonton Grybs.

I'd like to echo this.

I always liked him, but I never expected him to be more than a bottom pairing guy that kills penalties, and makes opponents play with their head up.

Having said that, he's the most replaceable of the group in question. Really is too bad that he was vilified for throwing a gorgeous hit.

IIRC Ewanyk was tasked with shadowing the Nuge in the playoffs a few years back. Not sure if he's a "bruiser" but he definitely brings some grit. To Bingo.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I'd like to echo this.

I always liked him, but I never expected him to be more than a bottom pairing guy that kills penalties, and makes opponents play with their head up.

Having said that, he's the most replaceable of the group in question. Really is too bad that he was vilified for throwing a gorgeous hit.

IIRC Ewanyk was tasked with shadowing the Nuge in the playoffs a few years back. Not sure if he's a "bruiser" but he definitely brings some grit. To Bingo.

"SenzZen":

Ewanyk is a contract the Oilers wanted to get rid of with 1 yr remaining on it, same as Ottawa did when they got rid of Ludwig K along with the Spezza trade...................

Doubt he even makes Binghamton as Kramer & Dunn are ahead of him most likely he will end up in Evansville next season........

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Glad he's gone, our blueline gets better with him on another team. Terrified that Cowen is going to get more icetime. One of him or Borowiecki needs to go for this team's D-Corps to be near-perfect.

Ttracer*

Why?????? Team leader in hits, and he almost killed that loser Lars Eller! Have fans are still ******** on that one muahahaha

Murray you effed up

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why?????? Team leader in hits, and he almost killed that loser Lars Eller! Have fans are still ******** on that one muahahaha

Murray you effed up

That's like saying we effed up because we didn't match the offer for carkner a couple years ago. Yes, they both did something awesome physically in the playoffs, but those players are scrubs and easily replaceable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad