Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
no because it decreases the odds.. say

NYR get picked first they still have 2 balls in there.. even if they get picked second take that one out they have 1 more... the odds are still incorrect... 1 extra ball will throw of the system... :dunno:

BTW isn't it abnormal to have 3 balls like the NYR???
and having 2 balls seems like the natural thing to have
While having only 1 ball is wierd you can still produced like having 2 balls

Strickly for the draft I mean :dunno: :sarcasm:

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
of course they are doing it behind closed doors... apparently they almost came to blows in the last BOG meeting where it was discussed.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
well the lottery has to be done in private, it would take to long to do it live. Say Columbus gets pick #1, you then have to take out their extra balls and then draw again and so on.....

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Realm said:
well the lottery has to be done in private, it would take to long to do it live. Say Columbus gets pick #1, you then have to take out their extra balls and then draw again and so on.....
All the more reason that they should have gone with 1 ball per team. :D

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
joepeps said:
no because it decreases the odds.. say

NYR get picked first they still have 2 balls in there.. even if they get picked second take that one out they have 1 more... the odds are still incorrect... 1 extra ball will throw of the system... :dunno:

Doesn't it affect the odds for all the remaining teams equally, though? Does it really matter if the percentages are off, as long as they don't affect the relative odds of each team?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Steve L said:
All the more reason that they should have gone with 1 ball per team. :D

extactly... The draft was never based on previous events why now???

NYR Florida Carolina Pitts Washington got there compensation for the last played season.. why should they get an advantage this one????

but w/e I would have said don't have a draft.. and now that they uped the draft age to 19 it would make more sence.. but nooooooooooo it's a Crosby draft have to do it now... :shakehead

Savoir Faire

Jul 6, 2005
blamebettman said:
nice to see they're starting off on the wrong foot again. This event must be broadcast LIVE.

if the fix is in, then ok fine. But Buttmunch better not come out and announce Crosby is a Predator or Panther, might as well fold the entire league then.

Maybe they can show it in Canada but there is no way to show the draft lottery in the States. The NHL doesn't even have a major broadcast partner. They don't get a cent from NBC, they will be splitting reveneues. Is anybody really going to convince NBC to pre-empt a show that they have already spent money on to show 20 minutes of Gary Bettmen opening envelopes in front of 30 assistant GM's? Now
there is some compelling television. How would anybody get advertisers when almost all of the ad spots were purchased six months ago? They will do this just a like a news conference and it will be on ESPN news like all other minor announcements.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
a simple solution is a hybrid. Conduct the draft for picks 6-30 behind closed doors and use the envelopes. You are then down to 5 teams. with 48 balls and 30 teams, each team has approximately 1.6 balls so there would probably be 8 balls in the drum ( min of 5, max of 15, probably close to 8)

That would be manageable. It would be easy to pick a ball and then remove that teams other balls forom the remaining 7 or so balls. It would be a reverse lottery where you pick #5, then 4 then 3 then 2 then Sidney. It would only take a few minutes and I guaranttee that it would create excitement. it is also very easy to do.

I am Jack's Fish

Not for anything guys, but the NHL's ping-pong selection has always been behind closed doors, meaning it isnt televised. Ever since the NHL went with the balls, there has been representitives from most lottery teams in the room observing the selection. I doubt that this will change, because each NHL team is a seperate identity and the commotion from any team that thinks that it was fixed will be a public one.

(The Panthers sent the same girl to the NHL offices due to her "Luck" when the Panthers won all those #1 picks. I talked to her about it, there is no fix, just a completely random process of colored ping-pong balls and a chart that shows which team won the pick)

So everyone should get off this conspiracy rant...

I am Jack's Fish

Oh, another thing. While I dont know how it will be with all the teams in the running, but when there was just 14 lottery teams, the ping-pong balls actually never had "team names" on them, but rather it was a bunch of balls with numbers on them, and they drew a certain amount of balls like in bingo. They took that series of numbers and went to a chart on the wall, and the numbers corresponded to a particular team.

But again, it probably will be different with all the teams involved this time.

For the freaks, that can be your conspiracy theory right there...

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
July 21's Draft Lottery has the potential to be one of those crossover events, where non-hockey fans are drawn to the notion that any of the league's 30 teams could end up with the chance to draft Sid the Kid. Which, of course, means the NHL will frak it up and only have it available on streaming audio from NHL.com -- hell of a time to have pissed away that cable deal, eh boys?

Problems Hockey Can't Solve

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
you can't pick #30 first then down to #1 because teams with 3 balls have a worse chance or in this case a better chance of getting pick #30...

if you want more excitement then you have to have the teams with 1 balls now get 3 and teams with 3 balls now get 1 while teams with 2 still get 2 balls.. then you can go backwards from 30 - 1!!! :teach:

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYRangers said:
Sweet, so the Rangers would have the 1st and 31st picks. Where are the Flyers picking?
:)
No they would have the first and the 60th ----- reports say the first two rounds are snaked.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
JayzinSmith said:
People will say it's a fixed no matter who gets the top pick.

Probably, but there's a continuum of "fixedness." There will be more people more upset if New York, Philly, Colorado, Toronto, or Detroit land it than if Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, or Columbus do.

That being said, the NHL has no choice really but to conduct the drawing in private and reveal the results on television, much like the NBA. Hockey die-hards might get a nut off, but selecting the balls on television would be a cluttered process.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Like above, reverse order is dumb and messes up the odds. It will be striaghtforward, 1-30, behind closed doors, just like that. Living in the states, believe me,try to make it exciting as you like, but Americans don't give two craps about hockey. This watching ping-pong balls stuff is strictly for the hard-core fan base. Compelling t.v. it does not make. The only problem i've had in this thread, or any draft threads for that matter, is this whole buisiness about the N.H.L. being doomed if (insert small market team here) gets the pick. That's total B.S. The owners and players have all made a commitment to do a better job growing the game of hockey. Wherever Crosby goes is fine, potential superstar or not, because everything keeps moving. Sports are cyclical. This years great could be next years dud, especially now in the new N.H.L., very similar to football. Relax everyone, and enjoy the fact that we're getting OUR game back and the excitment that WE have no clue what's going to transpire this season. Go Panthers!

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
what the...no it doesn't..

Technically, the probability of your ball being selected is less with the additional NYR balls still in the pool, but because they don't count, the odds remain the same.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
From what I had heard they were still undecided as to whether they were going to hold the draft lottery behind closed doors or infront of the media. This, of course, was according to TSN and they've been MUCH more reliable than sportsnet over the last few weeks. But hey every squirrel is bound to find an acorn sooner or later. :handclap:

It would probably be to the benefit of the NHL if they held the lottery on live tv at the press conference. They can always hire David Copperfield to pull the Rangers ball out of the tub if they want to fix things. ;)

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Til the End of Time said:
There would probably be like seven people that would watch the NHL draft lottery if it were on TV.

Seven people? Half of Canada would be watching, I'm not sure about the States but you'd have to think that at least a few more Ranger fans than seven would turn on the tube.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
littleD said:
Who wants to see little ping pong balls come out of a tumbler on live TV?
All of us, when those balls will determine the whole draft order.

littleD said:
Are you guys THAT bored?
Are you that bored to read a thread about something that doesn’t seem to interest you at all?

littleD said:
The excitement would be over in three seconds, when the first ping pong ball comes out.
The lottery will determine the whole draft order.. I don’t see 48 balls to come out in three seconds.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I have no idea what could possibly make anyone think that televising the draft lottery would draw any American attention. NBC sure as hell isnt going to waste their time showing it, and there is no national cable deal. So, who exactly is going to show it in the first place?

And seriously, are we so pathetically desperate to justify our sport that we actually think putting a bald midget on TV collecting pingpong balls with team logos is going to draw the average citizen, or even just the average fan to their television sets?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
ChillyWilly said:
WTF is this BS about this dweeb Crosby, he isn't the f'n holy grail, this kid could either be a star or a dud, i'm hoping he's a dud cuz honestly i'm tired of his "hype" and big deal about him.

You sure you're from Vancouver? Every country has it's slackers I suppose...

He's pretty good and regardless of how good he actually is, the hype alone could help the NHL accelerate its comeback. He is very important to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad