Entry Draft Lottery results a big secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

blamebettman*

nice to see they're starting off on the wrong foot again. This event must be broadcast LIVE.

if the fix is in, then ok fine. But Buttmunch better not come out and announce Crosby is a Predator or Panther, might as well fold the entire league then.

Crows*

Must the NHL continue to BE IDIOTIC?? GOOD GOD.

How do they expect to legitimize this to the fans and just come out and say "heres our cba.. oh By the way.. CROSBY GOES TO NY.....

FIX>

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
why is the NHL content on screwing things up on a regular basis?
the nba televises their lottery...
even if you were gonna fix the lottery just mkae all the balls rangers ones
sometimes the nhl just does stuff out of sheer stupidity

PredsFan77*

coppernblue said:
why is the NHL content on screwing things up on a regular basis?
the nba televises their lottery...
even if you were gonna fix the lottery just mkae all the balls rangers ones
sometimes the nhl just does stuff out of sheer stupidity

actually the NBA does the drawing behind closed doors, and only televises the announcement of the draft order.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
gobert said:
I don't see anyone calling it fixed if Buffalo gets it....

sure, the NHL throwing a bone to the new owner for solidifying the team's finances. there's always going to be a conspiracy theory if the draft isn't live and public.

what better way to have an exciting and fresh moment for the relaunch than to have bettman drawing lottery balls and crosby live in the audience finding out his fate! of course that would be too dramatic, too fresh for the NHL to market up. different CBA, same PR bunglings. :shakehead

Biatcheslov

Jul 14, 2005
Vancouver
The NBA style is the way to go here. Do the actual ping-pong ball picking behind closed doors (confidentially) and then have Bettman open envelopes to reveal a team's logo. I think that's what the NHL is planning, because just having him list off the results from a piece of paper would be ridiculous.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
korkanu said:
I think that's what the NHL is planning, because just having him list off the results from a piece of paper would be ridiculous.
One would think so, huh?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
slats432 said:
So what are you saying? The fix is on? :shakehead
I didn't say anything .. How did you get that ??

It would have been fun to watch the ping pong balls coming out ..

I will put on my clairvoyant hat well before the draft.

Looks like Crosby to NYR and Leafs picking 30th under these conditions :p:

SPARTAKUS*

Guys if they do it NBA style then it's ok with me. A board with 30 envelopes is pretty exciting too. :handclap:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Come on guys. The NBA way is great, but since when has the NHL ever done it like this? It's not going to be fixed, even if NYR or Toronto wins it.

IMO, since the players aren't going to be at the draft, and it's in a hotel, the best way to do it would be to keep everything secret till the draft. People will disagree, but the suspense would be great, and the draft ratings would be through the roof. Obviously, they'd have a tough time keeping it all secret, but that'd be awesome if they somehow could. Every fan, even the casual ones, would be watching.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Come on guys. The NBA way is great, but since when has the NHL ever done it like this? It's not going to be fixed, even if NYR or Toronto wins it.

IMO, since the players aren't going to be at the draft, and it's in a hotel, the best way to do it would be to keep everything secret till the draft. People will disagree, but the suspense would be great, and the draft ratings would be through the roof. Obviously, they'd have a tough time keeping it all secret, but that'd be awesome if they somehow could. Every fan, even the casual ones, would be watching.

Exciting maybe...but unrealistic. Teams need to prepare based on their positions. You probably wont see many draft day trades in that scenario either.

MontrealCruiser_83*

I don't like that idea.

The first mistake was weighing it. The second is not televising it. A wasted PR and marketing oppurtunity by a league which can't afford many.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Has there been any indication that the draft itself (not the lottery), or at least the early rounds, won't be televised?

Or are they going to do it MLB style?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Good post, i agree. BTW..if you go on our Ranger board you will see that pretty much ALL of us think we will be screwed with a pick between 14-25(we are hoping for a top 6 ((and some 10)) pick). Seems like non-rangers fans are more upsest over this "fixed draft" that will not even happen.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
This may sound far-fetched -- but u never know. What if this is Bettman and the BOGs motive...

After holding the draft lottery behind closed doors, the NHL would be absolutly insane to come out and say that NYR, TOR, MTL or LA has just won the lottery...whether or not it's legitimate, who the hell is going to believe them...nobody is that stupid to think that there wouldn't be irate fans all over the place calling it a fix.

....but...Why in the world -- if they wanted to rig it -- wouldn't they formulate a smarter plan to make it look more legitimate? do it out of a drum during the press conference?? atleast show us something to make it look normal? Maybe because that's too tough of a task. It's very difficult to get this passed fans even if you show the rangers ball float to the top. "It could be a weighted ball, it was fixed!"

BUT let's be realistic for a second on how far the average person is going to take the lotto getting fixed theory seriously. The way I see it, if they keep it behind closed doors, the only problem people will have with it is if NYR or Toronto wins. When the winner is announced and neither nyr or toronto has won, people won't think fix anymore.

SO why in the world would the NHL basically eliminate the possiblilty of Crosby going to NYR or Toronto when one of those is the place they would want him to go most. Plain and Simple: The NHL can't afford to have this kid land in a small hockey market.

My point is,(assuming they keep the lotto drawing behind closed doors) I think the BOG, the executive committee and/or the owners might just pull a fix that they feel would keep legitimacy and help grow the game at the same time. Sure they would love Crosby to go to NY or TOR -- but they can't take the chance of doing this publically and having him land somewhere that will do nothing to help the sport get back.

If I were a gambling man, I would place my money on Crosby landing in a large US city that might just catch onto (or back onto) the sport. I would say Boston or Chicago best fit that description. Once cherished original six hockey cities, it seems as tho they have lost there appeal. If fans treated the Bruins like they did decades ago, that's huge for the league in terms of fan base. Boston as you all know is a sports crazed city..and home to the first american NHL team.

Also...it doesn't hurt to have Wirtz and Jacobs on the execute committee. Bogus or not, you know I could be right.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
The Messenger said:
Looks like Crosby to NYR and Leafs picking 30th under these conditions :p:

Sweet, so the Rangers would have the 1st and 31st picks. Where are the Flyers picking?
:)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NYRangers said:
Sweet, so the Rangers would have the 1st and 31st picks. Where are the Flyers picking?
:)
Probably 29th ... Both being rewarded nicely by Bettman for running up payroll pre-lockout ..

Hope that helps .. so I guess you can add 32nd to your list ..

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
steblick said:
There WILL be 30 teams' representatives behind these closed doors too you know- all of whom would love to get Crosby. It's not just Bettman and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Not elegant but its dead on accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->