OT: Entire GeeGees men's hockey team suspended for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Also the bolded part is just plain nutty.

It's not.

I'm not about to just take your word for it when literally every piece of evidence disagrees with you. Unless you want to change the meanings of serious, culture and society in which case you're just moving the goalposts.

A serious issue that needs addressing wouldn't be solving itself over time. It would need... you know... the addressing part because it's a problem that's not being fixed.

Sensationalism. The end.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Except that isn't what he wrote. "Punish her with my shaft" can be interpreted to mean many things.

As is the case all too often these days, "locker room talk" etc, that used to happen...well in locker rooms, is now being posted on social media and that leaves a trail.

Throw in some dimwit trouble maker who copies the messages and forwards them to someone that was never supposed to read them, and this is what you end up with.

It's not "**** culture". What it is starts with a bull and ends in IT. (pun intended)

As for whatever happened with the Gee-Gee's hockey team, I think that a lot of people here would be absolutely shocked if they knew what was really going on in hotel rooms, team buses, after parties, etcetera.

As I don't know any details, I can't weigh in on one side or the other, however, I do believe that regret the day after doesn't equal a sexual assault the night before.

Of course if someone was assaulted, then the perps need to be prosecuted and punished.

It's most likely a "he said / she said" situation, there was likely copious amounts of alcohol involved, and people that weren't there will never know what really happened.

Nailed it, but in all fairness the stuff you described is foreign to most on here. The female that was allegedly wronged isn't even discussing it, its all hearsay. The people jumping to conclusions need to relax and let the entire situation play out.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
It's blatantly obvious what that means.

Stick his penis in her vagina? How awful, if only these college boys were asexual

People being held accountable for what they say? How awful.

I'm not even sure you actually understand what **** culture is.

Which somehow makes it acceptable?

It's funny that you should say this, since you immediately go on to weigh in on one side:

So you don't actually know what happened, but you immediately start coming up with excuses as to why this could be the victim's fault.

This is exactly what **** culture is all about, and you are perpetuating it.

The first reasonable thing you've said in that entire post. Too bad you immediately follow it up with:

Victim blaming. "She must've been drunk, she probably just regretted it in the morning."

Stick to trolling about hockey issues, John. You're typically just annoying when you do that. This just makes you look like a terrible human being.

The need to be politically correct on this board is astounding. These are college boys, this is all locker-room talk, even at the highschool level. If some of you are shocked by this then you'll have a heart attack hearing most of the actual **** that goes on in a locker rooms/hotels/busses.

Sexual assault is one thing, bro-talk between teammates is another.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's not.

I'm not about to just take your word for it when literally every piece of evidence disagrees with you. Unless you want to change the meanings of serious, culture and society in which case you're just moving the goalposts.

A serious issue that needs addressing wouldn't be solving itself over time. It would need... you know... the addressing part because it's a problem that's not being fixed.

Sensationalism. The end.

It's not solving itself over time. People are changing it by changing the way they think, and act about certain issues. But again I reiterate, it is all part of a process that is picking up steam but still has a long way to go.

Im curious as to what evidence you have that contradicts what I've said. Feel free to post it, evidently you have it in spades.

And just how is this all not a serious issue? I'd wager that anyone affected by sexual assault or know those who have been consider this to be quite serious indeed.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's not solving itself over time. People are changing it by changing the way they think, and act about certain issues. But again I reiterate, it is all part of a process that is picking up steam but still has a long way to go.

Im curious as to what evidence you have that contradicts what I've said. Feel free to post it, evidently you have it in spades.

And just how is this all not a serious issue? I'd wager that anyone affected by sexual assault or know those who have been consider this to be quite serious indeed.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm under the impression that numbers are way down, and exposure is way up. Much like crime stats in general.

People are far more fearful in general now than they ever have been, even though crime rates are getting lower and lower.

That's global media for you; 'a down for all the ups'.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Except that isn't what he wrote. "Punish her with my shaft" can be interpreted to mean many things.

As is the case all too often these days, "locker room talk" etc, that used to happen...well in locker rooms, is now being posted on social media and that leaves a trail.

Throw in some dimwit trouble maker who copies the messages and forwards them to someone that was never supposed to read them, and this is what you end up with.

It's not "**** culture". What it is starts with a bull and ends in IT. (pun intended)

As for whatever happened with the Gee-Gee's hockey team, I think that a lot of people here would be absolutely shocked if they knew what was really going on in hotel rooms, team buses, after parties, etcetera.

As I don't know any details, I can't weigh in on one side or the other, however, I do believe that regret the day after doesn't equal a sexual assault the night before.

Of course if someone was assaulted, then the perps need to be prosecuted and punished.

It's most likely a "he said / she said" situation, there was likely copious amounts of alcohol involved, and people that weren't there will never know what really happened.

I think the bolded provides an intriguing alternative perspective on this issue.

I'm very interested to see the results of this case. If the guys indeed were part of, as I heard on a TSN1200 radio update yesterday, 'a gang-style attack', then string em up. But if the girl changed her mind about what she did afterward, that's a different story. We'll see what happens.

Do cases like this get tried publicly or behind closed doors? For example the Pistorius case in South Africa right now has unlimited press access.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm under the impression that numbers are way down, and exposure is way up. Much like crime stats in general.

People are far more fearful in general now than they ever have been, even though crime rates are getting lower and lower.

That's global media for you; 'a down for all the ups'.

Media don't get ratings if they don't turn those molehills into mountains. Hell, just look at Vancouver and the huge controversy with the Heritage Game. Five year ago, no one would bat an eye about who the starting goalie would be. Now it's the greatest insult to the super bestest goalie in the history of the world. :help:

The real problem with the jock culture is the entitlement mentality. Most of those kids are are gifted at sports early in their lives are treated like royalty, and it often goes to their heads. They think they are above the unwashed masses and can do whatever they want.

I have no idea what the hockey team did anything, or if there's something else involved.

As for the 'locker room' talk and spreading about the transcript of a private conversation...to me that's kinda low. While it's naive (or, more precisely, incredibly stupid) to think anything online is truly private, there are always times when boys try to 'out macho' or 'one up' another by saying stupid things. Pretty hard to tell in text what the actual tone of a cherry-picked conversation truly is.

If you want to hear some real nastiness, eavesdrop on a hen party some time. Men may have a loud bark, but women have some nasty claws. Humanity....not a pretty sight much of the time these days.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Not many details to go off of. If it happened, the players should be done. Unnacceptable. There is problems in Canadian Universities for sure. I remember one of the biggest "bros" I knew in university, at all the parties, played sports, popular, white male. Also sexually assaulted a girl with no repurcussions as she didn't come forward. It happens, and the culture of acceptance is something that people need to be aware of and critically think about if changes are to happen.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
For anyone confused about what **** culture is. The wiki page has some decent information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_culture

This is a serious cultural issue, and it is incredibly prevalent in almost all aspects of daily life. Just reading this thread is a shocking reminder of how far society needs to go to eliminate this garbage from our lives.

I don't have enough information to know what happened, or to determine guilt if there is even any to be found. All i know is that where there is smoke there's fire, and the thick grey clouds are billowing out of Ottawa U right now.

Well, given how everything in contemporary society is ****, I guess you are right in that there is a **** culture.

Eye ****, birth ****, female teachers ****** underage students (oh wait, having illicit affairs, my bad), next-day regret after a drunken one night stand = ****...

Edit: This shows that such culture is indeed growing in Ottawa (Trigger warning):

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I remember reading an article done by a journalist who spent a lot of time going around to different areas of the country and investigating exactly this kind of stuff. The article itself was pretty eye-opening.

I'm not about being politically correct whatsoever, and I still think there is a big problem. The way the conversation has gone on this board alone is proof enough of that.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think it is time to shut this down.

This is a serious topic to discuss, a hockey forum is not necessarily the place to do it.

Until further information from the police is released the only thing that will continue to happen in this thread is arguing back in forth and some of the stuff is pushing the lines.

For that reason, until new information is released I am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad