OT: Entire GeeGees men's hockey team suspended for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am sure U of Ottawa president Allan Rock and his $395,000 base salary will get to the bottom of this.

Shockingly, Allan Rock wasn't available for comment today. Instead, they put forward a spokesperson from the athletic department. It's an amazing coincidence that every time there is a controversy on campus, Allan Rock seems to be MIA.

As for the incident itself, let's remember two words - Duke lacrosse. A bunch of kids from Duke University's lax program never did get their reputations back after the media decided to try them in public before an actual trial took place. As others have said, let's see what the police investigation reveals first.

Jerry Aldini

Oct 2, 2009
Toronto
Isn't the season almost over? Either way, I assumed the allegations were solid since the team was suspended - but some people here seem to be saying it was a knee-jerk reaction by the school, so I guess we wait to see if there's actually anything to this 'third party' report

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The whole program? Probably an enormous overreaction and punishing people who have nothing to do with whatever happened. Reminds me of my high school team that was suspended for a decade from playing by OCDSB (or whatever governing body) after a big line brawl. They punished over 2 generations of kids for for the actions of a select few. Won't be surprised if the same thing happens here.

Colonel By?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It got big because the SFUO president made a big fuss about it and illegally leaked the contents of a private conversation.

What those guys did wasn't good but you're right, it's been blown way out of proportion. Doesn't even come close to the alleged charges here.

If they're going to shut down the whole program, it leads me to think that one of the faculty is either involved, or knew about it and turned a blind eye.

Who knows so far, but i doubt this would get so big without there being something terrible behind it.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Seems ridiculous to suspend the whole program for the rest of the year over potential allegations (I put this in italics because I have yet to find a single article confirming something actually occurred).

There has to be due process here. Not saying this is a case of crying wolf whatsoever, but until there is clear cut proof of incident, I'm not sure it's fair to the entire team to completely shut it all down...at most why don't you just bar the suspected players from games and call up some scrubs to fill in from local high school stocks?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I wonder if there some fear that the university was implicated somehow-maybe if it has been abetted and covered up by a coach or another university employee; evidently it happened some time ago but the university just found out about it which looks like there may have been a cover up.

Last edited by a moderator:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I wonder if there some fear that the university was implicated somehow-maybe if it has been abetted and covered up by a coach or another university employee; evidently it happened some time ago but the university just found out about it which looks like there may have been a cover up.

That's exactly what Im thinking, that someone that works for the university was either involved or knew about it.

If it was just a couple of players, they wouldn't have shut the whole thing down.

Not enough information to know for sure, but this thing isn't going to be swept under the rug and thank the spaghetti monster in the sky for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully the men receive their due process prior to being nailed. I would like to see what was said before burying these guys.

Why tho? Jump to the conclusion they are all guilty!!!! Screw our judicial system string em up!

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
If they're going to shut down the whole program, it leads me to think that one of the faculty is either involved, or knew about it and turned a blind eye.

Who knows so far, but i doubt this would get so big without there being something terrible behind it.

There are definitely things happening behind the scenes here. The quick reaction to this from the school leads me to believe that it's not only true, but juicy too.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well its suspended indefinitely, obviously make no difference at the moment as the season is over.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
Why tho? Jump to the conclusion they are all guilty!!!! Screw our judicial system string em up!

Yeah!

After all, women never lie about this topic (or ever), nor are there ever miscommunications/misunderstandings!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Universities are big business nowadays. Even if nobody's guilty in this affair, perception matters more than anything, and so suspending the team regardless of what may have actually happened is par for the course. It's all very cynical.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I agree it's not good but I mean its not good to say in public but thats things boys say all the time.. It was a joke.. I personally know one of the guys and its not like he promotes whatever culture..

Saying you want someone to be sexually assaulted is never okay and is the very definition of promoting **** culture.

John Holmes*

Saying you want someone to be sexually assaulted is never okay and is the very definition of promoting **** culture.

Except that isn't what he wrote. "Punish her with my shaft" can be interpreted to mean many things.

As is the case all too often these days, "locker room talk" etc, that used to happen...well in locker rooms, is now being posted on social media and that leaves a trail.

Throw in some dimwit trouble maker who copies the messages and forwards them to someone that was never supposed to read them, and this is what you end up with.

It's not "**** culture". What it is starts with a bull and ends in IT. (pun intended)

As for whatever happened with the Gee-Gee's hockey team, I think that a lot of people here would be absolutely shocked if they knew what was really going on in hotel rooms, team buses, after parties, etcetera.

As I don't know any details, I can't weigh in on one side or the other, however, I do believe that regret the day after doesn't equal a sexual assault the night before.

Of course if someone was assaulted, then the perps need to be prosecuted and punished.

It's most likely a "he said / she said" situation, there was likely copious amounts of alcohol involved, and people that weren't there will never know what really happened.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Except that isn't what he wrote. "Punish her with my shaft" can be interpreted to mean many things.

It's blatantly obvious what that means.

As is the case all too often these days, "locker room talk" etc, that used to happen...well in locker rooms, is now being posted on social media and that leaves a trail.

Throw in some dimwit trouble maker who copies the messages and forwards them to someone that was never supposed to read them, and this is what you end up with.

People being held accountable for what they say? How awful.

It's not "**** culture". What it is starts with a bull and ends in IT. (pun intended)

I'm not even sure you actually understand what **** culture is.

As for whatever happened with the Gee-Gee's hockey team, I think that a lot of people here would be absolutely shocked if they knew what was really going on in hotel rooms, team buses, after parties, etcetera.

Which somehow makes it acceptable?

As I don't know any details, I can't weigh in on one side or the other

It's funny that you should say this, since you immediately go on to weigh in on one side:

however, I do believe that regret the day after doesn't equal a sexual assault the night before.

So you don't actually know what happened, but you immediately start coming up with excuses as to why this could be the victim's fault.

This is exactly what **** culture is all about, and you are perpetuating it.

Of course if someone was assaulted, then the perps need to be prosecuted and punished.

The first reasonable thing you've said in that entire post. Too bad you immediately follow it up with:

It's most likely a "he said / she said" situation, there was likely copious amounts of alcohol involved, and people that weren't there will never know what really happened.

Victim blaming. "She must've been drunk, she probably just regretted it in the morning."

Stick to trolling about hockey issues, John. You're typically just annoying when you do that. This just makes you look like a terrible human being.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
For anyone confused about what **** culture is. The wiki page has some decent information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_culture

This is a serious cultural issue, and it is incredibly prevalent in almost all aspects of daily life. Just reading this thread is a shocking reminder of how far society needs to go to eliminate this garbage from our lives.

I don't have enough information to know what happened, or to determine guilt if there is even any to be found. All i know is that where there is smoke there's fire, and the thick grey clouds are billowing out of Ottawa U right now.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
For anyone confused about what **** culture is. The wiki page has some decent information.

This is a serious cultural issue, and it is incredibly prevalent in almost all aspects of daily life. Just reading this thread is a shocking reminder of how far society needs to go to eliminate this garbage from our lives.

I don't have enough information to know what happened, or to determine guilt if there is even any to be found. All i know is that where there is smoke there's fire, and the thick grey clouds are billowing out of Ottawa U right now.

can't edit that post, but the hf filter scrubbed the link. Just google it if you're curious. Some people in here could very much afford to read up on the subject.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
this is so very, very uninteresting. police will investigate, and proper actions will eventually be taken. again much drama

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

We (in the West) live in the most peaceful societies in the history of the world.

What needs to happen is continued police enforcement, support groups and all that other boring stuff that doesn't raise the excitement level the same way "OMG WE HAVE A **** CULTURE!" does. The best we can hope for is steady declines and minimizing crime - and it's happening already, been happening for decades.

The sensationalism, bad facts in this thread astounds me. My only hope is the police do their jobs and if any of the men are guilty of a sexual assault - they are charged, convicted and given long sentences.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Has it been reported what specifically was done? Sexual assault can be many things, and I fail to see how the media being tentative to report it helps to solve the problem in the long run.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No, it's not. I'm sorry if you think it is but you are wrong. The facts support a decline in sexual assaults, a decline in all crime.

We (in the West) live in the most peaceful societies in the history of the world. There's no serious cultural issue that needs exploring. Things have been getting better for everyone for decades and decades now. But we suddenly need a serious change in the 21st century because some giant problem has suddenly arisen? LOL.

What needs to happen is continued police enforcement, support groups and all that other boring stuff that doesn't raise the excitement level the same way "OMG WE HAVE A **** CULTURE!" does. By the way, I went to your link and I went from being indifferent when I read those two words to where I am now -> more dismissive of any article I read that includes those two words.

We're never going to live in an age where it's *poof* no crimes, no ****.

The best we can hope for is steady declines and minimizing crime - and it's happening already, been happening for decades.

The sensationalism, bad facts in this thread astounds me. My only hope is the police do their jobs and if any of the men are guilty of a sexual assault - they are charged, convicted and given long sentences.

Yes the term **** culture is sensationalist in nature, but that is the point. It is too easy to minimize these issues euphemistic language (a social issue in and of itself, by the way), or dismissing them altogether as a previous poster have said by declaring 'that boys will be boys', or that 'regret the day after does not equal a sexual assault the night before'. This is twisted thinking, and while i have no doubt that the people that said these things, and others who say similar things are good people who would never directly assault a woman, this is a dangerous line of thinking that contributes to **** culture by allowing it to remain prevalent.

This type of thinking, or lack there of, needs to be challenged.

I'm not naive enough to think that we'll ever live in a Utopia, that we will ever be free of crime. Its true that certain crime has been going down in recent years, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem and that more can't be done to address the issue.

Also the bolded part is just plain nutty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad