OT: Entire GeeGees men's hockey team suspended for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Alleged gang sexual assault last month in Thunder Bay while playing Lakehead. Police have confirmed.

https://twitter.com/grahamctv/status/440574144103473152

Graham Richardson ‏@grahamctv
BREAKING: Thunder Bay Police confirm members of @Uottawa men's hockey team being investigated for sexual assault @ctvottawa @ctvnews

Article from Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com/sports/2014/03/03/university_of_ottawa_suspends_hockey_team_for_rest_of_season.html

The University of Ottawa’s varsity men’s hockey team has been suspended over “allegations of serious misconduct.”

A third-party reported an incident involving several members of the men’s hockey team to Sports Services management last week, the university said in a release. The incident occurred several weeks ago.

CaptainsHockey

Apr 12, 2013
Ottawa
This is terrible, no hockey team should ever be implicated in anything at all like this. It really does diminish the validity of sports becoming more progressive and accepting and not all about dumb jocks. I wish it didn't happen in CIS but as a proud Raven though... :sarcasm:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hopefully the men involved get nailed to the wall for this.

Personally i'd like to see those found guilty of **** to be castrated.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

Why don't we wait and see how the police investigation turns out before you break out the testicle guillotine?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Why don't we wait and see how the police investigation turns out before you break out the testicle guillotine?

If they're found guilty obviously. I suspect this is rather serious if the school shut down the entire hockey program.

John Holmes*

Well you don't know exactly what happened. Nobody does except for those that were involved.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well you don't know exactly what happened. Nobody does except for those that were involved.

It was poorly worded, i can't seem to edit posts after infractions.

The second statement was more of a generality, the first dependent on if they're found guilty.

Not jumping the gun and declaring guilt, obviously i don't know enough.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
The only info we have is that a police investigation has been started, which is probably mandatory after anybody reports anything resembling sexual assault.

Also U of O has a hair trigger on this type of thing after the sexually explicit facebook messages to their head of student council. That's probably why they loudly and publicly suspended the entire team after an incident involving "some members" of the team. Regardless of what happens I feel pretty bad for any players who had nothing to do with it, but has everyone thinking they're a sex offender anyways.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
The only info we have is that a police investigation has been started, which is probably mandatory after anybody reports anything resembling sexual assault.

Also U of O has a hair trigger on this type of thing after the sexually explicit facebook messages to their head of student council. That's probably why they loudly and publicly suspended the entire team after an incident involving "some members" of the team. Regardless of what happens I feel pretty bad for any players who had nothing to do with it, but has everyone thinking they're a sex offender anyways.

Even though it's a sensitive issue, I have a hard time believing that the entire team would be suspended if there was only allegations up until this point. There's no way that the hockey program would let that fly unless there was some truth to it.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
......well.....ill start looking at other schools then for my daughter...

Obviously your just kidding, but the comment is pretty pointless. You should be concerned about sending your female daughter to University/College in Canada period. As sexual assault is an experience 1/4 women will have in their time at school. That is the big picture. It's not a "U of O" problem. It's an everywhere problem in Canada.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The whole program? Probably an enormous overreaction and punishing people who have nothing to do with whatever happened. Reminds me of my high school team that was suspended for a decade from playing by OCDSB (or whatever governing body) after a big line brawl. They punished over 2 generations of kids for for the actions of a select few. Won't be surprised if the same thing happens here.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Hopefully the men receive their due process prior to being nailed. I would like to see what was said before burying these guys.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I'll lean on the side of the victim in this case. The case is already quite progressed.

Is there some other news article that you've read that lays this all out? Because I haven't seen any reports besides an accusation was made, police have just started an investigation, and the team was suspended.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It got big because the SFUO president made a big fuss about it and illegally leaked the contents of a private conversation.

What those guys did wasn't good but you're right, it's been blown way out of proportion. Doesn't even come close to the alleged charges here.

I agree it's not good but I mean its not good to say in public but thats things boys say all the time.. It was a joke.. I personally know one of the guys and its not like he promotes whatever culture..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad