Injury Report: Enstrom out 8 weeks, Poolman recalled!

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Trading down in the 1st looks really, really bad in hindsight now. We traded a pick that could have been huge to keep Dano the popcorn dispenser, or Enstrom on crutches.

At least Pool-man has his shot. I doubt he leaves the team after, either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vesalainen is pretty good.

Enstrom didn't need to waive, I'm glad Chevy did the right thing to keep the team together and do a solid for Enstrom. Players notice that.

Besides, Enstrom will be back long before the end of the season and will be an important piece if we hit the playoffs. Depth is key if you want to be a true contender. Imagine the Jets not having Enstrom and losing a LD. We'd be looking at a long stretch of Chiarot.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Do you think that Chevy was aware of Toby busting his ankle this November when he was negotiating with McPhee? If the answer is no, you definitely shouldn't bring the whole f***ing thing up.

Well, at least Poolman gets a shot now. Too bad he's probably going to have to prove his worth at his offside, though.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do you think that Chevy was aware of Toby busting his ankle this November when we was negotiating with McPhee? If the answer is no, you definitely shouldn't bring the whole ****ing thing up.

Well, at least Poolman gets a shot now. Too bad he's probably going to have to prove his worth at his offside, though.
...and if Poolman struggled coming back from double shoulder surgery, we'd be looking at Chiarot in the line-up from day 1 with Melchiori on deck. That would have been an idiotic gamble for a team trying to contend this season.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
...and if Poolman struggled coming back from double shoulder surgery, we'd be looking at Chiarot in the line-up from day 1 with Melchiori on deck.

I'll take a single dose of Chariot for a short time over the triple dose of Postma, Stuart and Chariot we had for extended periods the past couple seasons.

Sadly Enstrom was playing fairly well when this injury occurred but was seeing the least amount of minutes of our six D!

Reactions: SoupaTroupa and GNP

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still think we should have kept the pick but that is more based on our future. I seriously doubt Vegas would have taken Toby anyways. They would have had waaaaaayyy to many D. They likely would have taken Dano but they bluffed Chevy and he fell for it. It's in the past now.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still think we should have kept the pick but that is more based on our future. I seriously doubt Vegas would have taken Toby anyways. They would have had waaaaaayyy to many D. They likely would have taken Dano but they bluffed Chevy and he fell for it. It's in the past now.
... you might be neglecting the fact that Chevy was being honorable to Enstrom for waiving, thereby allowing Chevy to keep Lowry / Perreault.

I still don't think it is unreasonable to assume that Enstrom waived with the understanding that Chevy would make a side deal with Vegas (for futures) to ensure that he wasn't selected.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
If I have to be honest, I was worried about this west coast swing with Toby being vulnerable to the punishing physicality of those teams. We just got bigger and tougher and improved our offensive threat from whomever takes over that left D position.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In most probability his last season with the Jets, we have guys who can take his spot

Do we? Are you sure? Niku is progressing well but the eyes on reports I have seen here say his D is not ready. Might be by next TC but I wouldn't want to bet the farm on it. Poolman? Lets see how well he does on the left side before we declare him the sweepstakes winner.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
... you might be neglecting the fact that Chevy was being honorable to Enstrom for waiving, thereby allowing Chevy to keep Lowry / Perreault.

I still don't think it is unreasonable to assume that Enstrom waived with the understanding that Chevy would make a side deal with Vegas (for futures) to ensure that he wasn't selected.

All we know is that Enstrom waived before the deadline with another deal falling through shortly after. At that point I don't think it's a terrible decision to let Enstrom go. But even then I don't think Vegas would have taken him. GMGM said he was going to but he would have had like 10 roster defencemen at that point. I think he would have elected to take Dano but wanted something more from Chevy so he bluffed taking Enstrom. Chevy was backed into a corner and made a deal to keep both by moving down in the draft. I think GMGM got what he wanted. He wanted the pick all along, doubt he had any real interest in either Enstrom nor Dano. His eyes were on 13th overall and he got exactly what he wanted.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
All we know is that Enstrom waived before the deadline with another deal falling through shortly after. At that point I don't think it's a terrible decision to let Enstrom go. But even then I don't think Vegas would have taken him. GMGM said he was going to but he would have had like 10 roster defencemen at that point. I think he would have elected to take Dano but wanted something more from Chevy so he bluffed taking Enstrom. Chevy was backed into a corner and made a deal to keep both by moving down in the draft. I think GMGM got what he wanted. He wanted the pick all along, doubt he had any real interest in either Enstrom nor Dano. His eyes were on 13th overall and he got exactly what he wanted.

We were lucky, but it costed us trading down, but the luckier part is it made no difference for us either way and we ended up getting Vesalainen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McPhee wanted the 13th, Chevy wanted to be sure to keep Enstrom and Lowry and all his depth (remember, he lost zero assets), and was happy taking the 24th. Both GMs got what they wanted. Chevy can still peddle Dano if he wants. He's still an asset that was preserved.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We don't know how anything would have played out except what did playout and I am happy with where the team is now; thus, I am happy with the trade.
Also, Vaseline looks like he will be a 2-3 line winger which we might need (salary wise) in a couple of years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We were lucky, but it costed us trading down, but the luckier part is it made no difference for us either way and we ended up getting Vesalainen.

I'm not 100% sold on Vesalainen yet over Suzuki, Foote, Valimaki or Liljegren. I still would have prefered to keep the pick and just let Enstrom go but I may be in the minority on that.

McPhee wanted the 13th, Chevy wanted to be sure to keep Enstrom and Lowry and all his depth (remember, he lost zero assets), and was happy taking the 24th. Both GMs got what they wanted. Chevy can still peddle Dano if he wants. He's still an asset that was preserved.

I'm not so sure Chevy got what he wanted. Remember another larger deal fell through. I think Chevy was banking on that deal taking place and he got backed into a corner by GMGM. I don't think Chevy's plan was to trade down in the draft at all. Dano isn't worth much at this point to anyone really, what little value he held before this season is pretty much gone. He might be able to eek out a mid round pick for him if that. Or toss him in as a value balance in a bigger deal. Either way if you asked me then if I would rather have Suzuki, Foote, Valimaki or Liljegren over one of Dano/Enstrom and Vesalainen I would have said yes. And my stance hasn't changed since.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chiarot replacing Enstrom is a fair downgrade...not sure about Poolman.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Sad for Toby, he was playing fine.

Here's hoping for a strong recovery and that we're in a playoff position where he can really help us.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not 100% sold on Vesalainen yet over Suzuki, Foote, Valimaki or Liljegren. I still would have prefered to keep the pick and just let Enstrom go but I may be in the minority on that.

I'm not so sure Chevy got what he wanted. Remember another larger deal fell through. I think Chevy was banking on that deal taking place and he got backed into a corner by GMGM. I don't think Chevy's plan was to trade down in the draft at all. Dano isn't worth much at this point to anyone really, what little value he held before this season is pretty much gone. He might be able to eek out a mid round pick for him if that. Or toss him in as a value balance in a bigger deal. Either way if you asked me then if I would rather have Suzuki, Foote, Valimaki or Liljegren over one of Dano/Enstrom and Vesalainen I would have said yes. And my stance hasn't changed since.
I wanna win now... By the time we find out which of those draftees will make an impact this core will be 3-4 years older. I think it was the right move to keep as much depth as possible, all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad