Injury Report: Enstrom out 8 weeks, Poolman recalled!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You're right, there is a lot more to it that makes Buff a much better player than Poolman.

"A lot" of Buff's shots come within 10 feet? "Often" playing below the goal line? Classic observer bias.

At least a few times a game he goes behind the net and does the one handed wraparound. He plays a lot deeper in the offensive zone than Poolman has. Not sure why you'd care to argue that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
At least a few times a game he goes behind the net and does the one handed wraparound. He plays a lot deeper in the offensive zone than Poolman has. Not sure why you'd care to argue that.

:laugh: No he doesn’t. He’s rarely tried that wrap around this year at all.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
:laugh: No he doesn’t. He’s rarely tried that wrap around this year at all.

Sigh. Fine, I exaggerated a bit saying a couple times a game, but it's certainly not a rare event. It's completely beside the point. All I was saying is that saying that Buff hits the net with a higher percentage without any context is pretty meaningless.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sigh. Fine, I exaggerated a bit saying a couple times a game, but it's certainly not a rare event. It's completely beside the point. All I was saying is that saying that Buff hits the net with a higher percentage without any context is pretty meaningless.

That’s fair.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This thread is not about Buff. :rant:

If you're going to discuss Buff, please relate it to Poolman in some fashion or another. Tanks. And airplanes.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
So I guess Enstrom due back Jan 12-20 range? There’s a week break after Jan 13 game.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Ok, getting back to the point of this thread...Poolman. (yes I understand that I opened up the Buff door with my comment, and I wish I hadn’t).
Truck, I’ve always enjoyed hearing your views on our young(ish) players. What are your thoughts on Poolman’s play and his upside?
Entering the season, my hope was that Poolman could capably replace Postma as a depth D. He has. He's similarly crushing soft minutes. He's been reliable and his game is well-rounded, but he's also 24, so I don't expect a massive jump year over year.

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Entering the season, my hope was that Poolman could capably replace Postma as a depth D. He has. He's similarly crushing soft minutes. He's been reliable and his game is well-rounded, but he's also 24, so I don't expect a massive jump year over year.

So pretty much exactly what we were hoping for when we signed him last spring. I think he has a more well rounded game than Postma has that will allow him to move up to second pairing when needed and to also take on bigger minutes. The big thing with Poolman is that he does seem to have the all round reliable game that a coach like Maurice will trust as we move forward.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
It will be interesting to see what he can do offensively as we move forward. If we look back at ppg for Poolman and his teammates at UND last year:
Poolman .79
Boeser 1.06
Jost 1.06
Not bad for a Dman.

Then you look at other Dmen coming out of US college with similar numbers as Poolman, like Will Butcher, who are doing extremely well in their first NHL season, and there’s a lot to be hopeful for.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So pretty much exactly what we were hoping for when we signed him last spring. I think he has a more well rounded game than Postma has that will allow him to move up to second pairing when needed and to also take on bigger minutes. The big thing with Poolman is that he does seem to have the all round reliable game that a coach like Maurice will trust as we move forward.

At this point it would seem to me Maurice definitley trusts Poolman more than he did Postma. I was a Postma fan but for my money Poolman feels like he is much more comfortable defending without the puck and he is less of a tire fire in his own zone. My prediction is Pooly will be a regular on the Jets and his game will be pretty solid especially for a 5-6 if that is where he settles in.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It will be interesting to see what he can do offensively as we move forward. If we look back at ppg for Poolman and his teammates at UND last year:
Poolman .79
Boeser 1.06
Jost 1.06
Not bad for a Dman.

Then you look at other Dmen coming out of US college with similar numbers as Poolman, like Will Butcher, who are doing extremely well in their first NHL season, and there’s a lot to be hopeful for.
Also extremely relevant abd oh so important:
Boeser is 20 years old
Jost is 19 years old
Butcher is 22 years old
Poolman is 24 years old

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Also extremely relevant abd oh so important:
Boeser is 20 years old
Jost is 19 years old
Butcher is 22 years old
Poolman is 24 years old

Of course. We all know that he’s an older rookie. But just the fact that he was almost in the same ballpark last year with guys who are performing as stars in the NHL this year is encouraging right?
Just mentioned that to point out that he’s not only safe defensively but has some decent offensive potential as well.
Hopefully we see more of that as he gains confidence.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Like we didn't get a big improvement in Tanev?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We did, but that isn't the norm and Tanev is still pretty marginal.

He's also 26 YO in a few days. It was his age that convinced me that he was a sub-NHL player after last year - despite the potential he had shown.

Maybe we are putting excessive weight on that age factor. Tanev had the physical skills but needed to up his 'hockey IQ'. He appears to have done that. Poolman also has the physical attributes but will need to learn to process the game a little faster, anticipate a little better. Maybe the age factor isn't quite that significant in a case where it is a matter of making a mental adjustment.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He's also 26 YO in a few days. It was his age that convinced me that he was a sub-NHL player after last year - despite the potential he had shown.

Maybe we are putting excessive weight on that age factor. Tanev had the physical skills but needed to up his 'hockey IQ'. He appears to have done that. Poolman also has the physical attributes but will need to learn to process the game a little faster, anticipate a little better. Maybe the age factor isn't quite that significant in a case where it is a matter of making a mental adjustment.
The age thing is about averages over a large sample. Anecdotal evidence based on one example doesn't undo that math.

Anything can happen. Crazy things happen all the time. What is likely and what happens are not always the same.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad