OT - NO POLITICS End of February- hoping for early Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The prices I'm seeing here for tax prep are amazing. I have to pay my accountant around $1200.00 to prepare returns for the building and the business which are separate entities. He does a very good job. I very seldom have to pay in because my estimated tax payments are enough to cover everything.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
i have a tax lady. I have done my own in the past, but with two jobs, the home office, a shared two family with pops that also serves as a sorta kinda rental property…i just let the experts do it. I don’t think I’ve ever been charged more than 100 bucks by her. I just bring my docs to her house, she charges my bank account on file, and then a couple weeks later I’ll see a charge of credit posted from the state/fed

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Am I the only one who does my own taxes?

Just download the 1040, schedule D, etc. and plug in the numbers.

Granted I have one W2 job this year, I didn't sell any stocks or have other reportable income, just need to add in student loan interest and mortgage payment deductions to AGI. It's a different story if you have businesses or self-employment, real estate income, or itemized deductions.

But I work with numbers and have good attention to detail so it's not difficult for me, just two hours of gathering documents and going step-by-step.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one who does my own taxes?

Just download the 1040, schedule D, etc. and plug in the numbers.

Granted I have one W2 job this year, I didn't sell any stocks or have other reportable income, just need to add in student loan interest and mortgage payment deductions to AGI. It's a different story if you have businesses or self-employment, real estate income, or itemized deductions.

But I work with numbers and have good attention to detail so it's not difficult for me, just two hours of gathering documents and going step-by-step.
LOL.....The blissfulness of simpler times. I used to do the same thing, years ago.

Now, I've got 2 kids in college with 529 deductions, a wife in a Master's program, an HSA account, a rental condo and a variety of active investments + stock options vesting. Not complaining at all, but cracking out the worksheets isn't a viable option for me anymore. I wish it was!

I still do my taxes myself but I need the help of tax preparation software.

Reactions: MustardStew

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Sometimes getting help from a professional can pay dividends. My hubby worked in the UK for several years before moving to Canada. We had no idea that he could pay into the pension system over there even though he worked most of his life here. He started contributing the maximum per year several years ago, which wasn't a fortune, and it actually pays out more than the Canadian pension pays out. We never would have known this! It makes for a much different retirement since neither of us had company pensions.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
LOL.....The blissfulness of simpler times. I used to do the same thing, years ago.

Now, I've got 2 kids in college with 529 deductions, a wife in a Master's program, an HSA account, a rental condo and a variety of active investments + stock options vesting. Not complaining at all, but cracking out the worksheets isn't a viable option for me anymore. I wish it was!

I still do my taxes myself but I need the help of tax preparation software.
I use turbotax software but I do them myself since they are simple. My sister hired someone when she moved to make sure they got all the deductions they were eligible for.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I worked in Canada for an entire year, and travelled across the country. Worked in 7 different provinces over that year. It was a tax nightmare. Had to fill out a US form, my state form, AND a Canadian form. I also had to log every day I worked in each province, for tax purposes. Nobody told me about that when they asked me to take the gig......I'm glad I did it, but not when it came time for taxes.

When I got my Canadian refund, it was in Canadian dollars (obviously)..........I also learned that getting a US bank to take a check in Canadian dollars isn't as easy as you might think.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm bored, here are some questions for those who wish to participate today:

1) Is there a book that you have read that has never made it to the movie screen but would make a fantastic movie?

2) A co-worker has serious body odor issues, do you broach the subject? If so, how?

3) What is your favourite dessert?

4) If a cashier gave you an extra $5 in change by mistake, would you point it out and give it back?

5) Do you have a license for anything other than a standard vehicle?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1) Is there a book that you have read that has never made it to the movie screen but would make a fantastic movie?

2) A co-worker has serious body odor issues, do you broach the subject? If so, how?

4) If a cashier gave you an extra $5 in change by mistake, would you point it out and give it back?

1. I will think about this and get back to you.

2. Depends on how well I know them. For some I would tell them

3. Strawberry shortcake with biscuits (not some lame sponge cake) and real whipped cream (NOT ice cream).

4. Yes.

5. Nope

Reactions: caz16

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

1. Every Aubrey-Maturin book after Master and Commander that they failed to turn into a movie series

2. I'd quietly report it to a supervisor and let them take care of it. Haven't had that issue, but there used to be this old lady in the building who wore way too much perfume, but she retired eventually.

3. Anything where ice cream is on top of something crunchy like a cookie, brownie, etc.

4. Absolutely would give it back, conscience is too strong.

5. Nope, I don't do hunting or fishing, don't carry firearms. All I have is my driver's license.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
i have a tax lady. I have done my own in the past, but with two jobs, the home office, a shared two family with pops that also serves as a sorta kinda rental property…i just let the experts do it. I don’t think I’ve ever been charged more than 100 bucks by her. I just bring my docs to her house, she charges my bank account on file, and then a couple weeks later I’ll see a charge of credit posted from the state/fed

I've been using the same accounting firm in Connecticut for about thirty years, the same one that had my parents as longtime clients. They charge me $250 for my personal return(I'm currently single), an amount that hasn't changed in four or five years. I just put my tax documents, work related and investment/bank related, in a large envelope, send it to them and they have it back to me in a few days. I mailed the check to them, along with the signed tax forms, today, I'm getting $877 back in total.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik

I’d get HR involved.

Boston Cream Pie

Yes.

Yes, motorcycle

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik

I’d get HR involved.

Boston Cream Pie

Yes.

Yes, motorcycle

• Haha
Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The 10 Commandments will be on ABC on March 30th at 7pm. The reason it isn't on this Saturday is because the Rangers-Panthers will be on primetime.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

1. Not a reader
2. I've been called brutally honest
3. I worked on a farm as a kid. Farmers wife made strawberry pie that was incredible....it offset the spam sandwiches she made us for lunch.
4. Yes but if I noticed they didn't scan something I would not go back in to tell them.
5. Nope but working on the farm we drove tractors pulling things all the time down the road

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
1) Is there a book that you have read that has never made it to the movie screen but would make a fantastic movie? No but there are definitely a few movies that I wish would have a sequel.

2) A co-worker has serious body odor issues, do you broach the subject? If so, how? If I was in the office, I'd tell one of the HR partners on site or my boss. I may be in HR but that conversation is above my paygrade. Since I work from home, I ensure there are no bo issues by showering regularly and practicing proper hygiene.

3) What is your favourite dessert? Chocolate Mousse.

4) If a cashier gave you an extra $5 in change by mistake, would you point it out and give it back? I would give it back.

5) Do you have a license for anything other than a standard vehicle? Nope.

• Haha
Reactions: sooshii and caz16

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

1) Any Howard Frank Mosher book, there we a few low budget ones in the 1980s but his stories are too good not to get another look

2) I wouldnt but someone would. People in the construction management industry cant shut up

3) Not a huge dessert guy won't turn down a pastel nata IFYKYK

4) Yes if I noticed, but I am 99% credit card now and don't really have a spot for money in my minimalist wallet so I would stuff it on my pocket at realize that night.

5) I have had an expired/unused Engineer in training, realtor, construction supervisors, and waste water treatment plant operators license. Get in line ladies.

5)

The 10 Commandments will be on ABC on March 30th at 7pm. The reason it isn't on this Saturday is because the Rangers-Panthers will be on primetime.

I like to watch it and think about my Dad but So many commercials!

Reactions: caz16 and Alicat

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
1. Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
2. I'd bring it up to HR and ask for advice on how to handle it. And then I'd definitely handle it.
3. Key Lime Pie and a good cup of coffee.
4. Yes, if I noticed it right away. If I didn't catch it until later, somebody else would probably get an extra $5 tip.
5. Yes, I've got a bunch of licenses. Both professional and recreational.

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1. It has been "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub for many years. I keep waiting and it just gets nixed or delayed. I think they are working on something again. The book was so good, I was excited when Peter Jackson was supposedly involved.

2. It happened a few times while I was working - reported to HR but honestly and dealt with but it only worked for a while in all cases, and then the people seemed to forget how to stay clean again.

3. Lemon meringue pie

4. Yes

5. No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad