End of a era, Crow retires: Corey Crawford appreciation thread

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I didn't say it didn't *turn out* to be good value; it was the handing out of the 5-yr term before Anisimov even played a game in Chicago. Taking back Zack Smith's contract is the result of that.
On top of it being a massive raise we basically paid Anisimov a giant raise just for him to score one more point than his ranger days.

He was 30pt player in Columbus and didn’t warrant a raise at all

Bowman’s brain should be studied by scientists for how brain dead some of his decisions are.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
History will one day look back and recognize that the 3 greatest goalies of this era were Fleury, Quick, and Crawford --- not Price, not Lundqvist, and definitely not Rinne. Those 3 losers had their chance at the Cup and they all choked.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
History will one day look back and recognize that the 3 greatest goalies of this era were Fleury, Quick, and Crawford --- not Price, not Lundqvist, and definitely not Rinne. Those 3 losers had their chance at the Cup and they all choked.
Lundqvist? He was definitely better than Crawford. I'll give you the other 2 though.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Crawford chocked in 2014

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Crow was pretty bad in 2014 playoffs, that said, the Oduya-Seabrook pairing didnt do him any favors.

Still one of the best of the generation. When he was on he was f***ing on.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Crow was pretty bad in 2014 playoffs, that said, the Oduya-Seabrook pairing didnt do him any favors.

Still one of the best of the generation. When he was on he was f***ing on.
That was the thing with Crawford, average goalie that gave the illusion of above average performance because of elite team defence and thus the low quality scoring chances against. When the team defence wasn’t that great as in 2014 he sucked two gigantic testies.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
That was the thing with Crawford, average goalie that gave the illusion of above average performance because of elite team defence and thus the low quality scoring chances against. When the team defence wasn’t that great as in 2014 he sucked two gigantic testies.
I disagree there, Crawford was very good, elite team defense or not. The 2012 and 2014 playoffs were rough but he was fantastic over his entire career.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Also, to be clear, the people that sensibly appreciate Crow don’t think he was perfect or that he was the greatest of all time. But compare him to his contemporaneous peers and I’d put him as high if not higher than all but a couple and that he warrants a boatload more recognition.

100% this

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Was it ‘15 when Crow was struggling against the Preds and Scott Darling came in and played out of his mind and was the reason the Hawks got past the Preds that year?

That’s not to take anything away from Crow either. He was fantastic for the most part with the cup winning teams.

Wish him all the best in his retirement.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Was it ‘15 when Crow was struggling against the Preds and Scott Darling came in and played out of his mind and was the reason the Hawks got past the Preds that year?

That’s not to take anything away from Crow either. He was fantastic for the most part with the cup winning teams.

Wish him all the best in his retirement.

He had a bad game, Darling came in relief and did well before struggling, and then Crow came back and powered the team through in the same series, and then he was rock solid for the next three series.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Lmao fleury fell ass backwards into having 3 cups and was lost his net every deep playoff run he’s been in besides 08-09 and 2018

And that 2018 Vegas team had every skater playing with A chip on their shoulder it truly didn’t matter who was in net as evidenced when they were down to their 5th string goalie they were still winning game’s convincingly.

He lost his net to Vokoun, Murray (X2), Lehner, Gustavsson in Minnesota. Nothing about that screams elite yet he will be in the HOF based on being a Kevin Lowe of goalies who was on a stacked team for the majority of his career

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
He had a bad game, Darling came in relief and did well before struggling, and then Crow came back and powered the team through in the same series, and then he was rock solid for the next three series.
He had 2 bad games.

Crawford was pulled after giving up 3 first period goals in game 1. The Hawks came back and won 4-3 in double OT, with Darling stopping all 42 shots he faced. That's where he played out of his mind as Chuck said. Crawford started game 2, played all the way and gave up 6 in a 6-2 loss.

Darling then started and won games 3 and 4, playing well in each game. Darling started game 5 and didn't play all that well, and they lost 5-2, with him giving up 4. Crawford then came back for game 6 with the Hawks up 3 games to 2 in the series, and they won the game and series.

Chuck's post was mostly accurate...Darling won 3 of the 4 games in that series, including that incredible game 1 performance where he stood on his head. And yes, Crawford was good the rest of the playoffs once he regained the net. He was especially good against Tampa in the Cup Final.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You're correct on the number of games, but Crow was the opener and the closer of that series, so I wouldn't say that we won it because of Darling. He certainly helped stem the bleeding and prevented us from an early exit in a damn good relief performance, absolutely, but Crow still finished the job that series.

Reactions: Giovi

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's funny hearing people talk bad about Crawford. Those same people wanted to keep Darling over him after that Cup run, and all you can do is laugh at them. We don't win that 2015 Cup without both, but mostly without Crow.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You're correct on the number of games, but Crow was the opener and the closer of that series, so I wouldn't say that we won it because of Darling. He certainly helped stem the bleeding and prevented us from an early exit in a damn good relief performance, absolutely, but Crow still finished the job that series.
Darling won three of the four games. He had an incredible week. We absolutely won that series because of Darling.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’ve always thought Fleury and Rinne to be overrated. We saw a ton of Rinne and I rarely thought he was a threat.

Crawford, Quick, Lundqvist, and Price were the elite goalies during our dynasty era

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Great in 11. Rough in 12. Great in 13. Rough in 14. Rough start to 15, finished great.

Could have had that roster with lesser guys in net and not won shit. Always appreciate him. I HATED those lack of focus softies he would give up though. Drove me nuts.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad