End of a era, Crow retires: Corey Crawford appreciation thread

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Anisimov was a decent Hawk, he scored 20, 22, 20 and 15 goals in his four seasons...for $4.55 million per, that's value for money as far as I'm concerned

I didn't say it didn't *turn out* to be good value; it was the handing out of the 5-yr term before Anisimov even played a game in Chicago. Taking back Zack Smith's contract is the result of that.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I'm sure he doesn't want to force Waite out. If the position was open for some other reason, I'd imagine he'd jump at the opportunity.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most goalie coaches ex-goalies who were mediocre at best during their playing days? (Tretiak being one of the biggest exceptions of course.)

So I don't think Crow would exactly jump at that opportunity. Then again, I don't know the guy.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm sure he doesn't want to force Waite out. If the position was open for some other reason, I'd imagine he'd jump at the opportunity.

I’d love to see him in some role with the organization, but there are only so many legacy spots or whatever you want to call them to keep this guys involved.

I don’t see Crow as the type to want to be a coach, though. I can’t really think of anything he’d want to do, or that he could do well, to stick around. Doesn’t seem like the coaching or front office type to me.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I’d love to see him in some role with the organization, but there are only so many legacy spots or whatever you want to call them to keep this guys involved.

I don’t see Crow as the type to want to be a coach, though. I can’t really think of anything he’d want to do, or that he could do well, to stick around. Doesn’t seem like the coaching or front office type to me.

New age ambassador going forward. First from this core.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I'm trying to think of top tier goalies that went into coaching or management and the only ones I can think of are Hextall and Roy.

Of course the most impressive post NHL career I can think of is Ken Dryden. Lawyer, cabinet minister and very well regarded author.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most goalie coaches ex-goalies who were mediocre at best during their playing days? (Tretiak being one of the biggest exceptions of course.)

So I don't think Crow would exactly jump at that opportunity. Then again, I don't know the guy.
You aren't wrong. Maybe I was for saying he'd 'jump at the opportunity'.

He is a guy that I think would love to stay with the organization in some respect. It's hard to guess if he'd be a good scout or fit in on a managerial standpoint, and we know he's not the most eloquent speaker, so he's probably not lined up to be in a similar position to a guy like Jamal Mayers.

Goalie coach is something he COULD do, and if that's the only thing he was offered, I'd imagine he'd show interest (again, presuming Waite were to leave and not be forced out in favor of Crow). Maybe he could be hired to be the goalie equivalent of Soupy and Kunitz, going and having continually conversations with prospects (for Crow, goalies) about how to improve their games. Maybe the Hawks will open a separate scouting department specifically for goalies (I know Florida started doing that recently) and Crow could be a part of that. It's just really hard to say, but knowing he was emotional about leaving, I think he'd very much welcome any offer he was given.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Crawford strikes me as the kinda guy that might come around occassionally once people are allowed back at arenas but will more or less go off the grid and be fine out of the spotlight...doesnt seem like a tv guy at all or an ambassador type thats at the UC every game, maybe a coaching/player dev role down the line...Been so long since the Hawks developed a goalie that you'd have to imagine they would love CC in a role where he works with their pipeline in some capacity before they work with Waite full time...But how many times did Crawford go off the grid when he was out with injuries, he just seems like that kinda guy, felt like alot but idk

Reactions: Pez68

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Good luck to you Corey! Wish you nothing but the best for the future. You were such a HUGE part of the Hawks over your career here in Chicago, you will never be forgotten.

Especially your speech at the Hawks cup parade after beating Boston!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Avs fan, in peace. But a Blackhawks fan now and since I was a kid. Espo was my guy. Here to say I always tuned in to watch the Hawks, and mainly Crawford. Absolute top shelf goalie. Dug how he always fought off shots. A posterchild of a goalie. Saddened on his announcement, but good luck to Crow.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Crawford strikes me as the kinda guy that might come around occassionally once people are allowed back at arenas but will more or less go off the grid and be fine out of the spotlight...doesnt seem like a tv guy at all or an ambassador type thats at the UC every game, maybe a coaching/player dev role down the line...Been so long since the Hawks developed a goalie that you'd have to imagine they would love CC in a role where he works with their pipeline in some capacity before they work with Waite full time...But how many times did Crawford go off the grid when he was out with injuries, he just seems like that kinda guy, felt like alot but idk

100% this. I doubt you see Crawford in a public position at all. It's not his personality.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Corey should be proud of himself for a great career. Was barely pegged as a backup after Niemi left and stole the show.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Blues fan here popping in to say how great, and underrated, Crawford was. People lazily call him the Chris Osgood of the Blackhawks, but that is disrespectful to Crawford. He elevated the Blackhawks; Osgood was a mostly a passenger when he wasn't the main reason the Wings were getting eliminated.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Blues fan here popping in to say how great, and underrated, Crawford was. People lazily call him the Chris Osgood of the Blackhawks, but that is disrespectful to Crawford. He elevated the Blackhawks; Osgood was a mostly a passenger when he wasn't the main reason the Wings were getting eliminated.
Thanks man, It's really a shame that Malkin clipped Crawford in the head in December 2017 because I believe he would have won the Vezina that year.

Crawford was far more than a passenger after 2012, he was a borderline elite goalie in the regular season that elevated his game to an elite level in the playoffs aside from his rare foibles(2012 vs the Coyotes and 2015 vs the Predators)

He was a huge part of how the 2011 Hawks, who barely squeaked into the playoffs after their cup team was decimated by the cap, came within a goal of taking out the President's Trophy-winning Canucks.

Reactions: BrokenFace

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I'm still of the opinion that the Hawks did Crow dirty, and that him getting cut ultimately unraveled the underpinings of the entire team.

Hope he continues to get better and can have a nice and long retirement. Should also absolutely be a team ambassador.

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Seabrook's decline. Hammer being traded. Keith's decline. Saad being a shell of what he was in his 1st stint. Crawford leaving for Jersey and Toews health problems all contributed to the end of the dynasty. There were no up and coming stars to replace the old guard. Maybe Panarin but he was traded for Saad. There certainly wasn't any on defence or in goal.

I was of the opinion that the team should have rebuilt around the '19 season. Managment wanted to slap band aids on shot guns wounds with JC as head coach however.

Reactions: Pez68

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Anxiety and the pills. Can't imagine how tough that was. I wonder if that's why the Hawks saw him as a player that couldn't be salvaged. Sucks to have ended like that.

Not respected enough because of the roster...even though he made all those guys look better

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Are you physically and mentally better now?

Oh, god, no. My back is toast. I probably need back surgery, to be honest. I have trouble talking about that stuff. I don’t want to make excuses.

In the words of Crow himself. "f***ing worked his nuts off for that trophy".

Reactions: Malaka

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_7794.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad