Confirmed with Link: Ellerby re-signed: 1 year 2-way deal @ $700K

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The Jets were the third most injured team last year. The probability that we suffer anywhere close to the same amount of injuries next year is slim imo. That alone likely keeps us far from the bottom although you never know with the Tank Commander in net.

That's true.

Kane will likely be better, same with Scheifele and Troubs. Toby should put up more points too.

One thing that does concern me is at some point is some of our leading scorers like Ladd, Wheels and Buff will likely not reach their current level of production. Does that occur this year? Hope not.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
The Jets were the third most injured team last year. The probability that we suffer anywhere close to the same amount of injuries next year is slim imo. That alone likely keeps us far from the bottom although you never know with the Tank Commander in net.

To be fair, a bunch of the man-games lost for the team came from Slater, Halishuk, Clitsome, Thorburn and Wright. That skews things a little bit as many of the best Jets played 60+ games (including 80+ from Wheeler, Little, Entsrom, Frolik and somehow Olli).

The Jets could have way less man-games lost next year yet feel the sting way more if their better players go down.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I believe it is, the 350k they handed out last year to Andrew Gordon was the highest previously. He's at 300k this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be fair, a bunch of the man-games lost for the team came from Slater, Halishuk, Clitsome, Thorburn and Wright. That skews things a little bit as many of the best Jets played 60+ games (including 80+ from Wheeler, Little, Entsrom, Frolik and somehow Olli).

The Jets could have way less man-games lost next year yet feel the sting way more if their better players go down.

That possibility does exist as you are correct in that many fringe players missed time, but the Jets also suffered substantial injuries to impact players. Kane, Trouba and Scheifele all missed around 20 games each, Bogo missed around 30, and despite what people say losing Clitsome for 50 games really hurt us last year. Thats 3 top 4 dmen on our team that missed a quarter plus of the year due to injuries.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So 3 teams in the West finish lower in the standings than us? I think we can do better than that and finish top 2, maybe even last. :cry:

Yes. Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary get to play each other. Splits would earn them more points than us. We only have Nashville to play with and if Rinne is healthy, maybe not even that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That possibility does exist as you are correct in that many fringe players missed time, but the Jets also suffered substantial injuries to impact players. Kane, Trouba and Scheifele all missed around 20 games each, Bogo missed around 30, and despite what people say losing Clitsome for 50 games really hurt us last year. Thats 3 top 4 dmen on our team that missed a quarter plus of the year due to injuries.

Lots of teams miss players.

Jets were higher up in the man games lost but lower in cap hit of games lost and it was fairly spread out:

BlN3D5IIgAA87eK.jpg

That's a CHIP (cap hit of injured players) heatmap with games played on the x-axis

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
My concern isn't that we signed a depth defensemen.

My concern is that we aleady had 3 depth defensemen by my count.

we didn't nee dnaother guy under stu and clitsome, we needed one above. Signing one below signals to me that we aren't pursuing anything above.

Beyond that...if we're going to signa depth d man...why resign the one that played for the 6th worst team int he league? We couldn't have taken a chance on someone else who might not be as bad as we know they are?

As others have said, for a team that needs "the irght d core" to evaluate their goal tender, they certainly don't seem ot be making a single ****ing effort.

our D improvement literally hinges entirely on the development of or young players. That is just ****ing stupid no matter how you slice it.

this deal isn't bad, and isn't big issue, and blah blah blah. Like so many of chevies moves, in a vaccuume it's fine- in the current context, it's less then fine.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Superior results? Yeesh.

I'm well aware of where they finished in relation to the league re: shots against. But I'm also aware that the powers that be that generally manage this team deemed them not good enough to properly evaluate their "starter". Perhaps they just want to properly evaluate #paveLOLec just yet... :help:

There were a number of injuries last season and a coaching change mid season.
The Pmo is implementing a new system with a healthy D core to execute the system.
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Pavs, there were a number of times the Jets D totally left him hanging, sometimes he kept us in the game, other times he did not.
Anyway there is a Pavs thread for all the Pavs "critiquing".

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
My opinion:

Meh.

He may be yucky, but better him than Chariot or the guy below Chiarot.

I do wish they'd add somebody good, but this has nothing to do with that.

jetkarma*

My opinion:

Meh.

It truly doesn't. We gave up no other option really to sign him. I also think he is a more than ok deep depth signing

boanst

May 25, 2013
Ellerby definitely isnt my favorite, but so much of this team's depth at defense from 5-12 has been pissed away by the GM that this level of signing was needed.

375000 in the AHL, doubtful he would get claimed.

What would the payroll be for st johns? Can all of it be covered by the Ice Caps or does the mothership inject cash?

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I actually quite like Ellerby, and am okay with re-signing him. Aren't we still under 40 contracts?

I do like the signing as well, I was a little surprised that they did not qualify him off the hop as he had some speed...though not the most physical of guys I also like the fact that he did not take stupid penalties either.

Serviceable player, plus as mentioned, a 2 way.

This signing is not the big signing everyone was looking for, but at least we know what to expect. Who knows, a little stability for him, maybe he doubles last years points production, which is still light years beyond James "The Real Black Hole" Wright who cannot score as a Fwd.
;)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ellerby hasn't been good enough to warrant play as a regular six defender, but as a young depth player on a two-way contract there can really be no complaints.

However, the concept of every defender except Redmond returning and going full out on "Pavelec is number one" with only a NHL rookie goaltender (especially since goalies are voodoo) as a plan B for a team in bottom 10 for GA is pretty questionable.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ellerby hasn't been good enough to warrant play as a regular six defender, but as a young depth player on a two-way contract there can really be no complaints.

However, the concept of every defender except Redmond returning and going full out on "Pavelec is number one" with only a NHL rookie goaltender (especially since goalies are voodoo) as a plan B for a team in bottom 10 for GA is pretty questionable.

No kidding Garret. This just creates more questions then answers really. Don't know what our "plan" truly is.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
My opinion:

Meh.

Trying to improve your team? What language are you speaking in?

#ChevyLogic does not make any sense. Even if we ignore all the studies on the quality of players have almost effect on sv% for the sake of argument- One of the two premises has to be true a) either our goalie is bad b) our defense is bad. Chevy's assertion is that it is the team in front of pavs that's bad at defence, ok lets take that at face value for a minute. If our defense is so bad that it pushes our #1 goalie out of top 45 goalis in a 30 team league then why is Chevy bringing pretty much the exact same defense corp back year after year. Heck let alone improve he has categorically made our defense weaker then it was when we inhereted the team from Atlanta. I don't think even the biggest Chevy/TNSE apologists on this board can defend this. Trying to improve neither the defense nor the goaltending leads to logical fallacy in Chevy's argument. Heck I'd even grudging give Chevy some misguided respect if he was genuinely trying to improve the D. Atleast that would show me that Chevy genuinely believes what he said about Pavs. But as it stands right now he just comes across as a cynical GM who thinks fans are too stupid to notice or care about how the goaltending situation is being handled.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, free agent D were mad overpaid and other than Orpik and Niskanen, aren't better than any of our bottom pair D for the price we're paying them.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What would the payroll be for st johns? Can all of it be covered by the Ice Caps or does the mothership inject cash?

St. John's doesn't pay a cent for Ellerby type signings. They only pay for their own contracts.

St. John's pays (at least I assume they do, it's how all other affliation agreements work) a flat rate to the Jets each year. Then any player under a Jets contract is completely paid by Jets. Any player they sign on their own is their responsibility.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
St. John's doesn't pay a cent for Ellerby type signings. They only pay for their own contracts.

St. John's pays (at least I assume they do, it's how all other affliation agreements work) a flat rate to the Jets each year. Then any player under a Jets contract is completely paid by Jets. Any player they sign on their own is their responsibility.

Which would be the following

Kyle Mackinnon
Blair Riley
Jason Jaffray
Sean Hill
Tyler Besko
Freidham
Cody Lampl
Brandon MacLean
Josh Lunden
Ryan Scnell
Kail Mouillerait (Signed with the NYI)

I don't St.John's was paying a ton of salary. Other then Jaffray I'd say most of these were making league minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad