Confirmed with Link: Ellerby re-signed: 1 year 2-way deal @ $700K

jetkarma*

So, looks like they like the make up of the team, which 'achieved' last place in the Central last season.

I think they sign Frolik, then try to find another "Frolik" via trade, and that's it. Joe's comment that others closer to the organization may be suggesting they are thinking about a 'soft tank' seems to be fairly accurate, IMO.

I don't think they will get to last year's cap number, and with some young players coming into the fold soon, on ELCs, it does look like a 'soft tank' to me.

IMO this is a solid no cost sign . He's familiar with the team , low low cost , 2 way deal , and I actually think he has more upside than what he has shown . More than decent 7th or 8th D man.

I said this before and people can chose to think one way or another , but there is no soft tank , regular tank , army tank , tank top happening. It simply isn't happening , there is no plan to finish low or lower in the standings. That is not to say we couldn't have a poor season ,but no moves are being made to facilitate that , no moves aren't being done to have that unfold.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Really? He's the youngest of our depth D-men. And the only depth D-man who's a RHD.

He is also under contract control for a few more years, most likely. Don't see them moving Postma for awhile.

Which is part of the problem. IMO, we need to find an upgrade to many of our players including Postma. Continuing to keep some guys around, and showing loyalty to guys who have achieved squat for your team, is mind boggling.

"We suck, but you've hung in there with us, so we like you and want you to come back. Here's a contract offer." Hello, they are the reason we suck!!! Here's a thought, get better players!!!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
IMO this is a solid no cost sign . He's familiar with the team , low low cost , 2 way deal , and I actually think he has more upside than what he has shown . More than decent 7th or 8th D man.

I said this before and people can chose to think one way or another , but there is no soft tank , regular tank , army tank , tank top happening. It simply isn't happening , there is no plan to finish low or lower in the standings. That is not to say we couldn't have a poor season ,but no moves are being made to facilitate that , no moves aren't being done to have that unfold.

I hear you, jetkarma. But their actions aren't convincing me, tbh.

There has been very little improvement to the team this summer. Very little. To a team that finished last in the Central, in a division where every other team made major moves to get better.

I'm not saying Chevy hasn't tried, he just hasn't accomplished much. The team is basically the same. That must make the players wonder. Wonder if management is doing all they can to help them win, and win this year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I prefer Ellerby to Pardy and Stuart.

We always wonder if these depth signings are signalling anything.

Hint: They never have :laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I prefer Ellerby to Pardy and Stuart.

We always wonder if these depth signings are signalling anything.

Hint: They never have :laugh:

Someone on Twitter postulated that Chevy didn't qualify Ellerby so they could have some flexibility to upgrade the D. They likely failed in that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ellerbys qualifying offer was 771.5k, so they save 71.5k. Not sure if he required a one way or not. He can also play both sides, and is probably the only one that can.

Clitsome has played right side with Stuart, and I believe for CBJ too.

Let's hope Wright isn't the Jets next UFA signing.

Dear god no.

Really? He's the youngest of our depth D-men. And the only depth D-man who's a RHD.

Kichton is RHD too.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtWP3XUCQAAZk5G.png:large

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just IMO, but I think that Ellerby's 2way deal is signal he is incase Morrissey is or isn't ready:

BtWUatPCAAAlCLo.png:large

BtWUatGCQAA5J9i.png:large

Duir

He is also under contract control for a few more years, most likely. Don't see them moving Postma for awhile.

Which is part of the problem. IMO, we need to find an upgrade to many of our players including Postma. Continuing to keep some guys around, and showing loyalty to guys who have achieved squat for your team, is mind boggling.

"We suck, but you've hung in there with us, so we like you and want you to come back. Here's a contract offer." Hello, they are the reason we suck!!! Here's a thought, get better players!!!

I guess this is what I was thinking TBH. I mean, I really don't know what the inner thoughts of what Chevy & Co. have going on but from the outside looking in Postma has earned a chance to try and be a regular. It will be interesting to see how Morrissey makes out in camp because I wonder if that roster spot gets somehow picked up by him in lieu of Postma? Not to mentioned a healthy Clitsome. Seems like Ellerby, Pardy, and/or Postma are insurance parts.....for now.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Soo we are pinning all our hopes on Mirrisey then?
Now that we have an untried rookie and this hack signed our D is now stable enough to "evaluate" Pavs?!!!!!!!!!

Booooooooooo

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
The Jets blue-line made such sweet music last season so why not keep the band together? :sarcasm:

What a joke. Just more of the same nonsense. 11th-place in the West, here we come.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I will be interested to find out how much his AHL salary is. O`Dell got 100k. I bet Ellerby gets a bit less. TNSE seems very generous with AHL salary.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The Jets blue-line made such sweet music last season so why not keep the band together? :sarcasm:

What a joke. Just more of the same nonsense. 11th-place in the West, here we come.

So 3 teams in the West finish lower in the standings than us? I think we can do better than that and finish top 2, maybe even last. :cry:

jetkarma*

I hear you, jetkarma. But their actions aren't convincing me, tbh.

There has been very little improvement to the team this summer. Very little. To a team that finished last in the Central, in a division where every other team made major moves to get better.

I'm not saying Chevy hasn't tried, he just hasn't accomplished much. The team is basically the same. That must make the players wonder. Wonder if management is doing all they can to help them win, and win this year.

Very different than soft tanking. That is ludicrous to be blunt.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This makes me wonder if Clitsome will be ready to start the season. I don't recall any update on how his rehab is coming along.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

The problem with the Jets does not lie in the Jets depth defensemen.

As you are well aware it's in goal, and being thin in our top 9.

Using the Ellerby re-signing to trumpet your relentless campaign against Cheveldayoff is disingenuous at best.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Quick, someone make an Ellerby for Redmond proposal in the trade forums.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Just IMO, but I think that Ellerby's 2way deal is signal he is incase Morrissey is or isn't ready:

BtWUatPCAAAlCLo.png:large

BtWUatGCQAA5J9i.png:large

That makes sense to me. Although this would lead me to believe that TNSE is planning on sending Morrissey back to the WHL. I wouldn't mind having Ellerby in the AHL to help St. John's if Morrissey does end up staying with the Jets though.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
The problem with the Jets does not lie in the Jets depth defensemen.

As you are well aware it's in goal, and being thin in our top 9.

Using the Ellerby re-signing to trumpet your relentless campaign against Cheveldayoff is disingenuous at best.

You're right. But it may have something to do with when I said they're keeping the band together, which was in reference to returning the exact same blue-line that wasn't good enough last year to properly evaluate #paveLOLec.

Ellerby might not even play here next year, and his contract certainly isn't one of the worst on the team (hello Thorburn). But the issue is that it's symbolic. It's the exact same blue-line as last year. More fence-sitting. More of the same.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Very different than soft tanking. That is ludicrous to be blunt.

I think they have resigned themselves that changes aren't happening. They talked to a few FAs and it didn't go anywhere. So are they beating the bushes to alter the team's make up? I'd say nope. Are they looking to purposely throw the season? No. I don't think that either.

But are they thinking a good pick or picks next June improves their team much more in the future than trying to find a piece in FA or trade? Absolutely. I will be shocked if they don't load up on picks some point during this season, if that possibility is there.

But they have a couple of months to improve the team before training camp, so hopefully they can.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You're right. But it may have something to do with when I said they're keeping the band together, which was in reference to returning the exact same blue-line that wasn't good enough last year to properly evaluate #paveLOLec.

Ellerby might not even play here next year, and his contract certainly isn't one of the worst on the team (hello Thorburn). But the issue is that it's symbolic. It's the exact same blue-line as last year. More fence-sitting. More of the same.

Despite having a number of substantial injuries that same blue line was roughly league average in allowing shots against. If they are healthy we should get superior results from them. I'm predicting they perform at an above average level next year if they can stay moderately healthy.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Despite having a number of substantial injuries that same blue line was roughly league average in allowing shots against. If they are healthy we should get superior results from them. I'm predicting they perform at an above average level next year if they can stay moderately healthy.

Superior results? Yeesh.

I'm well aware of where they finished in relation to the league re: shots against. But I'm also aware that the powers that be that generally manage this team deemed them not good enough to properly evaluate their "starter". Perhaps they just want to properly evaluate #paveLOLec just yet... :help:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So 3 teams in the West finish lower in the standings than us? I think we can do better than that and finish top 2, maybe even last. :cry:

The Jets were the third most injured team last year. The probability that we suffer anywhere close to the same amount of injuries next year is slim imo. That alone likely keeps us far from the bottom although you never know with the Tank Commander in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad