Confirmed with Link: Ellerby re-signed: 1 year 2-way deal @ $700K

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To be fair, a bunch of the man-games lost for the team came from Slater, Halishuk, Clitsome, Thorburn and Wright. That skews things a little bit as many of the best Jets played 60+ games (including 80+ from Wheeler, Little, Entsrom, Frolik and somehow Olli).

The Jets could have way less man-games lost next year yet feel the sting way more if their better players go down.

Actually a very good point. Hope for the best I suppose.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You're right. But it may have something to do with when I said they're keeping the band together, which was in reference to returning the exact same blue-line that wasn't good enough last year to properly evaluate #paveLOLec.

Ellerby might not even play here next year, and his contract certainly isn't one of the worst on the team (hello Thorburn). But the issue is that it's symbolic. It's the exact same blue-line as last year. More fence-sitting. More of the same.

Lets be honest here. I am nearly on the same page as you with Chevy. I am pretty tired of the paralysis he seems to have wrt to making any impact moves to improve this roster. Of course there are failed chances, and we don't know what factors higher up in the organization are directing his moves (or lack therof) but at the end of the day he is the GM and he has to accept responsibility.

It's kind of like my last job. I was the Program Director of a radio station but I had a micro-managing owner with no concept of modern radio meddling with my ability to direct the station. I didn't accept that and now I'm unemployed. It was my reputation and I was hired to do a job and I could not just be a yes man and accept implementing someone else's flawed plan. We don't for sure know that that is Cheveldayoff's problem but if it is, he is a weak man, IMHO.

If not, he's just incompetent. We aren't sure what.

The only issue I have is when someone tries to pin every single thing on Chevy. It weakens one's argument when you are just so dead set against someone that you attack everything, good or bad. I was that way with Byfuglien last year and since have tried to learn more and give credit where credit is due with him.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Lets be honest here. I am nearly on the same page as you with Chevy. I am pretty tired of the paralysis he seems to have wrt to making any impact moves to improve this roster. Of course there are failed chances, and we don't know what factors higher up in the organization are directing his moves (or lack therof) but at the end of the day he is the GM and he has to accept responsibility.

It's kind of like my last job. I was the Program Director of a radio station but I had a micro-managing owner with no concept of modern radio meddling with my ability to direct the station. I didn't accept that and now I'm unemployed. It was my reputation and I was hired to do a job and I could not just be a yes man and accept implementing someone else's flawed plan. We don't for sure know that that is Cheveldayoff's problem but if it is, he is a weak man, IMHO.

The only issue I have is when someone tries to pin every single thing on Chevy. It weakens one's argument when you are just so dead set against someone that you attack everything, good or bad. I was that way with Byfuglien last year and since have tried to learn more and give credit where credit is due with him.

To be fair, Chevy get the lion's share of the blame around here since no one knows what really goes on behind the scenes. He is the focal point of everyone's scorn by default. Player performance, on the other hand, is there for everyone to see.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
St. John's doesn't pay a cent for Ellerby type signings. They only pay for their own contracts.

St. John's pays (at least I assume they do, it's how all other affliation agreements work) a flat rate to the Jets each year. Then any player under a Jets contract is completely paid by Jets. Any player they sign on their own is their responsibility.

Not necessarily. The Moose paid in full for guys on NHL contracts all the time. They paid for Krog (1 way at $925,000 too), Baumgartner, Jaffray in his second stint and others. I'd assume that there is a similar arrangement in St. John's given that the person in charge of personnel is the same. I would not be surprised if they paid for a guy like Gordon when he was in the AHL and the Jets did not pay him.

Would St. John's have made this arrangement and asked the Jets for Ellerby? Probably not.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010

Sigh. I get painted with this brush quite often, and it's just not true.

I've praised the Frolik trade all along. I was quite high on the Oduya return. I really liked the Perreault signing this off-season. I liked the entire 2013 draft (despite thinking Morrissey was a touch of a reach at the time and preferring Mantha) and LOVED the Ehlers pick. I'm constantly defending our best players like Toby (too small), Buff (bad at defense) and Kane (shoots from the same spot and misses the net) from tired and incorrect arguments. I even thought that RFA deals for Wheeler, Little and Bogo were fine at the time.

There is some to like. Maybe even lots. But it is in my opinion that the good that Chevy has done has been incredibly outweighed by the bad.

Pavelec, Thorburn and Stuart are all here for the next three years at least (sans trade/buyout) and that is not good. The Gooch trade, the Sutter pick (which is magnified when you've only made 7 picks inside top-2 rounds in past four summers and now only 6 of those picks remain in the organization), not firing Noel early enough, all the AHL/waiver chafe, and the fact that the roster as is is almost identical to last seasons. The "plan" doesn't appear to be working, as they aren't doing #draftanddevelop propery if they aren't actively acquiring more high picks.

Why would I attack the good? That doesn't even make sense. Maybe I feel that less "good" has happened, but that's me. And it sure seems like many people are starting to see things my way... :naughty:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sigh. I get painted with this brush quite often, and it's just not true.

I've praised the Frolik trade all along. I was quite high on the Oduya return. I really liked the Perreault signing this off-season. I liked the entire 2013 draft (despite thinking Morrissey was a touch of a reach at the time and preferring Mantha) and LOVED the Ehlers pick. I'm constantly defending our best players like Toby (too small), Buff (bad at defense) and Kane (shoots from the same spot and misses the net) from tired and incorrect arguments. I even thought that RFA deals for Wheeler, Little and Bogo were fine at the time.

There is some to like. Maybe even lots. But it is in my opinion that the good that Chevy has done has been incredibly outweighed by the bad.

Pavelec, Thorburn and Stuart are all here for the next three years at least (sans trade/buyout) and that is not good. The Gooch trade, the Sutter pick (which is magnified when you've only made 7 picks inside top-2 rounds in past four summers and now only 6 of those picks remain in the organization), not firing Noel early enough, all the AHL/waiver chafe, and the fact that the roster as is is almost identical to last seasons. The "plan" doesn't appear to be working, as they aren't doing #draftanddevelop propery if they aren't actively acquiring more high picks.

Why would I attack the good? That doesn't even make sense. Maybe I feel that less "good" has happened, but that's me. And it sure seems like many people are starting to see things my way... :naughty:

Read my entire post :laugh:

I am not trying to paint you with a brush. I agree with a lot of what you have to say. I just think that you have to pick your battles.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think they have resigned themselves that changes aren't happening. They talked to a few FAs and it didn't go anywhere. So are they beating the bushes to alter the team's make up? I'd say nope. Are they looking to purposely throw the season? No. I don't think that either.

But are they thinking a good pick or picks next June improves their team much more in the future than trying to find a piece in FA or trade? Absolutely. I will be shocked if they don't load up on picks some point during this season, if that possibility is there.

But they have a couple of months to improve the team before training camp, so hopefully they can.

This is actually my hope for this year. I'd like to see us try out some of the younger players and trade some of our aging players for picks in the next draft. We will surely miss the playoffs with our team strength relative to those in our division, so please let's get off the treadmill and make some BIG changes.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I find it incredible that some people are still bemoaning the loss of Zach Redmond and blaming Chevy for same, when we have just re-signed Ellerby at a bargain basement deal.
Compared to Redmond, Ellerby is younger, bigger and much more experienced (>200 NHL games vs 18). At the age of 25, he still has some potential upside, as D-men can take forever to learn the game. As a #10 pick OA, clearly that potential was recognized early, even if it has not yet been reached.
Redmond is gone because we did not need him, he had very little trade value and it wasn't worth the cost to retain him as a depth defenceman.
Remember Flood? Meech? The depth on this very young team is slowly, inexorably, undeniably improving. Don't know why people refuse to see it.

spellchecker45

Oct 3, 2011
I find it incredible that some people are still bemoaning the loss of Zach Redmond and blaming Chevy for same, when we have just re-signed Ellerby at a bargain basement deal.
Compared to Redmond, Ellerby is younger, bigger and much more experienced (>200 NHL games vs 18). At the age of 25, he still has some potential upside, as D-men can take forever to learn the game. As a #10 pick OA, clearly that potential was recognized early, even if it has not yet been reached.
Redmond is gone because we did not need him, he had very little trade value and it wasn't worth the cost to retain him as a depth defenceman.
Remember Flood? Meech? The depth on this very young team is slowly, inexorably, undeniably improving. Don't know why people refuse to see it.
Don't forget to add Randy Jones lol

boanst

May 25, 2013

I completely disagree about Ellerby vs Redmond.

You must have missed it. Redmond got a 2 year 1 way deal, while Ellerby got a one year 2 way deal. That does not support your argument at all. Theres no evidence that Ellerby would have done better elsewhere.

I think the only advantage Ellerby has is that he can play both sides. I would be way more comfortable giving Redmond more minutes than
Ellerby in a pinch.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Redmond >> Ellerby > Meech/Flood

Draft stock only means so much, and can eventually mean nothing.
At this point both Redmond and Ellerby are essentially what they will ever be.
I won't bemoan the loss of Redmond. It kind of stinks as I thought he was pretty good relative to what we had, but neither guys are likely going to show any more potential than what they are.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I completely disagree about Ellerby vs Redmond.
You must have missed it. Redmond got a 2 year 1 way deal, while Ellerby got a one year 2 way deal. That does not support your argument at all. Theres no evidence that Ellerby would have done better elsewhere.

I think the only advantage Ellerby has is that he can play both sides. I would be way more comfortable giving Redmond more minutes than
Ellerby in a pinch.

Didn't miss a thing. My argument is that Redmond was not worth 1.5 million to the Jets and was worth little to nothing in trade. Glad you like him, and hope he succeeds with the Avs but, with a total of 18 NHL games under his belt, there is not much to base your trust on.
BTW, happy birthday Zach. He'll be 26 tomorrow. 18 games.

I won't bemoan the loss of Redmond. It kind of stinks as I thought he was pretty good relative to what we had, but neither guys are likely going to show any more potential than what they are.

I tried not to push the draft pedigree too hard, for the reasons you mentioned.
But...this is an area where one can be limited by relying on the charts and macro picture. True enough, most players will have plateaued by now, but there are lots of individual exceptions (I won't even mention Chara.....oops).
If you are going to make a cheap bet on an unlikely breakout, would it be 700K on Ellerby or 1.5 mill on Zach?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Not sure you can determine much of anything about Redmond giving his incredibly small sample size. He could be a top 4 guy or he could struggle mightily to establish himself as a legit NHL regard next year.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Lots of teams miss players.

Jets were higher up in the man games lost but lower in cap hit of games lost and it was fairly spread out:

BlN3D5IIgAA87eK.jpg

That's a CHIP (cap hit of injured players) heatmap with games played on the x-axis

I'm so bad at these Magic Eye 3d pics. What's this one supposed to be again? :D

m.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ok, fellas. We need to steer this convo back to Ellerby. I know that Chevy is a key player in this but please keep the debate within the context of the Ellerby signing.

The Chevy debate still rages in the Chevy thread. I'm moving some of this convo over there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I regret losing Redmond not because we also (almost ) lost Ellerby nor for any comparison to Ellerby. I regret it because I think he is better than some other D we kept, particulary Postma but also Stuart and Pardy. Compared to Postma he is bigger and plays a smarter game. He is better both offensively and defensively. That is based on a very small sample size in the NHL + his AHL performance so it is pretty unreliable but that is what I saw. So far the stats bear that out although, again a very small sample size.

I liked what I saw of Ellerby last year. I was surprised at how poor his possession numbers were. The stats and the eyeball test really disagree here. I want to resolve it by getting a bigger sample size.

Based on what I have seen so far I would rather play Ellerby - Redmond as the 3rd pair than Stuart - Postma. Not going to happen though.

Edit:Speaking of Redmond, today's his B'day! Happy Birthday Zach!

Last edited:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Ok, fellas. We need to steer this convo back to Ellerby. I know that Chevy is a key player in this but please keep the debate within the context of the Ellerby signing.

The Chevy debate still rages in the Chevy thread. I'm moving some of this convo over there.

As requested:

Tough time for Keaton on the family side:

Ellerby overwhelmed by support from hockey community after family tragedy

It’s been an emotional few weeks for Keaton Ellerby.

Ellerby’s uncle Alvin Liknes, his wife, Kathryn, and their five-year-old grandson Nathan O’Brien, are still missing in Alberta and presumed dead — though no bodies have been discovered — after the mysterious disappearance of the trio on June 30.

Douglas Garland has been arrested by Calgary police and faces three counts of murder.

“There’s not really any words that you can put to it,” said Ellerby, who was re-signed to a one-year, two-way deal by the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday. “You watch that stuff on TV and you never think it would happen to your immediate family. It’s still going on. My dad’s side of the family is definitely shaken up about it. It’s not an easy thing to go through.

“You’ve got to stay strong as a family and just hope and pray it comes to an end and you get a little bit of closure.”

Ellerby and his family have been overwhelmed by the support from the hockey community and folks in Manitoba as well.

“There’s been a lot of support from guys that I know and even from people in the city of Winnipeg. I’ve gotten a lot of messages and stuff like that, saying ‘we’re thinking of you and praying for your family,’” said Ellerby. “It’s definitely been a nice little support system there. I’m very thankful to those people who have reached out.”

www.winnipegsun.com/2014/07/24/elle...rt-from-hockey-community-after-family-tragedy

m.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Very sad story, prayers for Keaton and his family! Ellerby is a rock star dman, saw him score a beauty against Chicago last year, he's a good 6 defensemen cause he can actually skate and shoot pretty well! Wouldn't mind seeing him on the bottom pair come game 1 against Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad