Elias Pettersson Vs Mitch Marner going forward?

Which player do you take going forward?

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Marner for me. I believe this will be consensus opinion in two years.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I’m completely indifferent towards the Panthers and I think there is a solid argument to be made that Pettersson is the most overrated player in the NHL.

Did Stone, Bergeron and Crosby all retire yesterday? If so it might very well be true, else far from it.

Anyway Marner should obviously win this poll based on what they have showed so far.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Did Stone, Bergeron and Crosby all retire yesterday? If so it might very well be true, else far from it.

Anyway Marner should obviously win this poll based on what they have showed so far.
Pettersson projects to be better and more valuable. Only worse at skating.

Reactions: wetcoast

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
EP, and it's not close.

If more Leafs fans were honest, this poll would be a lot more lopsided.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
This is a stupid poll. After the absolutely vicious hatchet job leafs fans did on Marner during Marner threads before he was signed, compared to the sweet little baby Jesus Matthews, you would think Marner being a winger put him below all 124 centres in the nhl.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
As a Nucks fan, 'AINEC' is ridiculous.

Pettersson has age & position advantage, but Marner is a premier producer/driver in the league & he's proven more. The idea that this isn't close absurd, its definitely close. Both young superstars, that will be top players in the league for years to come. Marner's an incredible player, this could end up going either way IMO.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
There’s really no arguments for Marner over Pettersson other than he’s proven more. Pettersson takes the cake here fairly easily.
He takes the cake here right now but I bet in a few years given he stays healthy he'll be taking the whole f***ing bakery here, and I say that as a leafs fan. Marner for as good as he is didn't produce like Petterson at his age, isn't a centre, and is also 5 inches shorter (I know he's listed at 6'0, but Tavares who's listed at 6'1 towers over him. Petterson is also a better goal scorer. No insult to Marner who's a beast as well. No shame in being worse than Petterson, who's arguably got the potential to become the 2nd best centre in the league

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Honestly-he hasn't produced at the same level, gets hurt a lot too.
Okay so here's some of the hypocrisy I have a problem with when it comes to Leafs fans.

You put a huge emphasis on Center>Winger when talking about Matthews.

You state how much more important goal scoring is when comparing Matthews to other players.

You state that games missed due to injury isn't as big of a deal when talking about Matthews.

Pettersson's rookie season he had 28 goals, 38 assists, 66 points in 71 games.

Marner's rookie season he had 19 goals, 42 assists, 61 points in 77 games.

Marner's sophomore year he had 22 goals, 47 assists, 69 points in 82 games.

Pettersson's currently in his sophomore year and has 21 points in 16 games. I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't hit 80+ points, barring injury.

What argument do you have for Marner>Pettersson that doesn't spew hypocrisy?

For the record, I hate both teams so don't come at me with that "Leafs Hater" bs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Curious to see how Leaf fans respond to the age factor on this one.

Pettersson's only a year younger and while his rookie season might have been more impressive than Marner's was, he has a long way to go to prove he can consistently maintain that level of play. Definitely has the potential, but Marner's probably the safe bet for now.

he’s a year and half younger. 18 months.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
As a Nucks fan, 'AINEC' is ridiculous.

Pettersson has age & position advantage, but Marner is a premier producer/driver in the league & he's proven more. The idea that this isn't close absurd, its definitely close. Both young superstars, that will be top players in the league for years to come. Marner's an incredible player, this could end up going either way IMO.
No way man it's Pettersson AINEC

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He got tired due to never playing a full NHL style schedule before. As he gets older and more adjusted he'll push a stronger pace deeper into seasons until he's tearing it up for all 82.
I mean, that could be part of it, but a lot was things relating to shooting percentage normalizing. Not that he isn't a special player, he is, he and Dahlin are likely to be the next faces of Swedish hockey, but it wasn't just him getting tired.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Pettersson is basically Marner but with a way better shot, better defensively too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad