Elias Pettersson Vs Mitch Marner going forward?

Which player do you take going forward?

• Total voters

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Marner is a bit safer for now. Need a few more seasons from Pettersson to see where he is at.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is a tough one, as we've yet to see how Petterson does as the primary focus of the other team's defensive strategy over a full season (though to be fair, you could probably say the same thing about Marner).

After Petterson's hot start, he finished the season with only 18g 49p in his final 60 games. That's still excellent for a young 1C, but that puts him fairly far behind where Marner is today.

Petterson is arguably ahead at 19/20, but development isn't linear. I went with Marner as the safer pick, but I wouldn't be shocked if Petterson ended up the better player.

Reactions: Dominance

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This is a tough one, as we've yet to see how Petterson does as the primary focus of the other team's defensive strategy over a full season (though to be fair, you could probably say the same thing about Marner).

Was he not the primary focus of the other teams defence all last season? Genuinely asking. I watched every single Canucks game and I can tell you that the other team was trying to stop EP every game. Nobody was putting their shutdown pairing against the Horvat line.

I choose Pettersson as I think he has a higher ceiling as a goal scorer and is a centre.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Was he not the primary focus of the other teams defence all last season? Genuinely asking. I watched every single Canucks game and I can tell you that the other team was trying to stop EP every game. Nobody was putting their shutdown pairing against the Horvat line.

I choose Pettersson as I think he has a higher ceiling as a goal scorer and is a centre.

I don't think he was from day 1, no. I think after October, probably. But that's more or less when he cooled down (he started the season off with 17p in his first 11gp and finished with 49p in his final 60gp).

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I don't think he was from day 1, no. I think after October, probably. But that's more or less when he cooled down (he started the season off with 17p in his first 11gp and finished with 49p in his final 60gp).

He had 3 goals in his first two games and I honestly think he was the primary focus of the other teams’ defensive efforts after that. The Pettersson hype was there from the start so I don’t think he took too many teams by surprise.

Also, 49 points in 60 games is a 67 point pace over a full season. That’s outstanding for a rookie. And I don’t like the stat picking where people take out the hot streak in a players season. Every offensive player will have an unsustainable hot streak that boosts their season totals.

Reactions: Index

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not even going to vote on this one. they both have their pros and cons. Proven vs one year, primarily a winger vs a centre, etc, etc, etc.

As a Leafs fan, we need Marner way more than Pettersson (third best centre??), but that's obviously not the case for most other teams. So, many (maybe even most) other people might have a totally different perspective.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
C vs. Wing. Marner definitely right now. We'll see how EP40 progresses in the coming years, how the Canucks insulate him with QoT and how he produces over the next few seasons. Toronto fan takes Marner right now and in near future. EP40 probably after that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I love Marner but I think Pettersson has the potential to be a very special player. One of the smartest players in the entire league, his hands, vision, playmaking and creativity are all off the charts and he has an absolutely elite shot to go with that. Really rare combination of skills that sets him apart from many other high-end NHLers. He could be a top5 forward in the league for many years to come if he continues on this trajectory.

Reactions: Grantham

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner quite easily. Pettersson will see significant regression next season and will never score 90 points in his career. Just an extremely overrated player in general.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Pettersson's only a year younger and while his rookie season might have been more impressive than Marner's was, he has a long way to go to prove he can consistently maintain that level of play. Definitely has the potential, but Marner's probably the safe bet for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00