Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Glass Tolvanen and Lind standing out from 2017 draft. I hear Hischier is doing ok for the Devils too but yeah maybe not standing out

Hischier is literally in a different league than the three guys you mentioned.

Back on topic...

I think Pettersson will be just fine. Doubt he will be a goal scorer. Like what others mentioned before, if he pans out to be a Backstrom-lite that would be great.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Is this real life

Yeah i know but its true. He did good then ok and some say he may be sent down to minors after 9 games we will see. Needs to bulk up but has the skill ready already

Reactions: Nucker101

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Don't think anyone is disappointed, nylander had 20 in 22games in his draft +1 before moving over to the AHL and he had the benefit of getting in 22games in the SHL the year before.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Hischier is literally in a different league than the three guys you mentioned.

Back on topic...

I think Pettersson will be just fine. Doubt he will be a goal scorer. Like what others mentioned before, if he pans out to be a Backstrom-lite that would be great.
Backstrom was drafted 4th overall and has been a point per game player - awesome. So would it really be "great" if someone we drafted at 5th overall was a 'lite' version of him? So that's like a 0.7-0.8 ppg player? So he's a second line center that likely will lack any kind of physicality/checking component? He was described as the player with the highest potential offensively in the draft. It's just continually disappointing with these top 6 draft picks and the expectation to be thrilled if they even evolve into NHL players. If he turns into a "fine" hockey player, at 5th overall to me that's a disappointment. A one dimensional second line center taken with 5th overall doesn't scream great pick.

If you are comparing his evolution as a player to what we are seeing from our other two high draft picks - then yes a 2nd line player would be great. It's like in order to appreciate the development and drafting of the Canucks, you need to have a different mindset/expectations.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Backstrom was drafted 4th overall and has been a point per game player - awesome. So would it really be "great" if someone we drafted at 5th overall was a 'lite' version of him? So that's like a 0.7-0.8 ppg player? So he's a second line center that likely will lack any kind of physicality/checking component? He was described as the player with the highest potential offensively in the draft. It's just continually disappointing with these top 6 draft picks and the expectation to be thrilled if they even evolve into NHL players. If he turns into a "fine" hockey player, at 5th overall to me that's a disappointment. A one dimensional second line center taken with 5th overall doesn't scream great pick.

If you are comparing his evolution as a player to what we are seeing from our other two high draft picks - then yes a 2nd line player would be great. It's like in order to appreciate the development and drafting of the Canucks, you need to have a different mindset/expectations.

Well people are only saying "lite" because they don't want to get ahead of themselves.

Pettersson is producing at rates that would suggest he'll be a top line TOP end player. If he keeps this up, he could have Backstrom potential, drop the whole "lite" thing. If That redraft of 2006 was done today I'd bet Backstrom would probably go #1.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Well people are only saying "lite" because they don't want to get ahead of themselves.

Pettersson is producing at rates that would suggest he'll be a top line TOP end player. If he keeps this up, he could have Backstrom potential, drop the whole "lite" thing. If That redraft of 2006 was done today I'd bet Backstrom would probably go #1.
If a 5th overall pick became averaged ppg for us for 7-10 years that would be Tony the Tiger grrrrreat. Great and lite do not belong in same idea when discussing a 5th overall pick that was marketed as having top end offensive potential.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Heponiemi came in at 149 pounds at the Draft Combine. His name also translates to "Horse Point." I'd be hesitant about taking a Horse Point with a high pick, myself.

Last edited:

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

The problem with comparing Backstrom with Elias is that Backstrom stepped into a role centering Ovie. Backstrom dishing to the top goal scorer of the last decade...well, makes me wonder what his point totals would be on a more ordinary team. Useless speculation in some ways, I suppose.

But it colours my perception of Backstrom more than Elias, who I believe has franchise Center capability. Whether he actually achieves that is certainly debatable, but I am anxious to see this kid on our team.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Heponiemi came in at 149 pounds at the Draft Combine. His name also translates to "Horse Point." I'd be hesitant about taking a Horse Point with a high pick, myself.

YAWN I know this is suppose to be sarcasm but really would a team not draft a player based on what his name means in a nother language??? I think hes doing alright but the real concern would be his height

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Could you try this again, in English, please?

Haha sorry I wrote it too fast. I will try again.

Yeah I know Hischier was the 1st overall pick but he is only doing ok. He had a great first couple a games and then he has only been ok since then as the other teams have figured out how to silence him because of him not being physically ready to play in the NHL. It is possible he will be sent to the minors after a only 9 game tryout. He needs to workout and get bigger but he clearly already has a ton of skill.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Heponiemi is outscoring both Lind and Glass on the WHL and he was chosen later.

Seriously. Cherry pick one player as "taken later" and 'hint" that he was a better choice. With none of the context? Small, may have a very hard time translating to the pro level. What the hell was the point of this post? Other than to be annoying.

Reactions: Bestpicksince bure

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Seriously. Cherry pick one player as "taken later" and 'hint" that he was a better choice. With none of the context? Small, may have a very hard time translating to the pro level. What the hell was the point of this post? Other than to be annoying.

He was responding to someone claiming that Lind, Tolvenen and Gadjovich are the only players from the 2017 draft accomplishing anything. It is possible you have said poster on ignore and did not see the quoteblock.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

When did I say they were bad picks??????????????

I just pointed out that Lind & Glass are not the only guys that has stood out to begin the season.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He was responding to someone claiming that Lind, Tolvenen and Gadjovich are the only players from the 2017 draft accomplishing anything. It is possible you have said poster on ignore and did not see the quoteblock.
fair enough ... did not read the whole thread .... so may have missed the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad