Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's an interesting debate because their games are so different. Hughes is definitely better off the rush with his solo dashes, damn near McDavid level.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Pettersson finished 7th in Selke voting while playing on a non-playoff team. He kills penalties. He takes his own faceoffs. He's one of the most dangerous SH players in the NHL. He and Hischier are probably going to dominate Selke voting for the next 5-7 years. There's nothing 'vague' about it. He's a f***ing fantastic defensive C, and Hughes isn't even close.

I think comparing point totals generated in similar roles is a pretty decent way to compare offense, no? The only way it wouldn't be is if there was a huge difference in linemate quality, but that's not the case.
hischier was second in selke voting and wins most of the faceoffs he takes. by your own logic he is substantially better than petterson defensively. still we have vancouver fans taking shots at hischier for being drafted over pettersson.

i like to see vancouver fans making arguments, why jack is not good defensively without throwing quinn under the bus.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lol @ these arguments. The difference between them as who’s better right now is so small, what are we even arguing about? There’s no wrong or right, it’s opinionated. Some people defend these players like they’re one of ur family members.

Yeah, I don't get this f***ing thread at all. EP is an absolute stud, people who are sleeping on him have to be people on the East Coast who don't watch Canucks games while Jack Hughes is top 3-5 player in terms of entertainment in the league with how he plays. It's like comparing a Lamborghini v Porsche.

Reactions: DimitriL07

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
hischier was second in selke voting and wins most of the faceoffs he takes. by your own logic he is substantially better than petterson defensively. still we have vancouver fans taking shots at hischier for being drafted over pettersson.

i like to see vancouver fans making arguments, why jack is not good defensively without throwing quinn under the bus.
Because Pettersson is much better than Hischier.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
nah. Jack.

Honestly...nah Jack is better and younger.

Both outstanding players. lol this is juvenile and ridiculous and props to the OP for doing this again.
@bold, based off nothing. When they are comparable offensively while Petey blows him out defensively.

Anyways lets move on from this.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yes, good for him. He's considered more valuable given his contract status and being younger.
Nothing more.

Most consider EP to the better player. Both are in the same tier as of now.

Nope, nope and nope.

Even The Athletic's list of player tiers for this season, which is focused on who is better right now regardless of age and doesn't at all consider contract status, has Hughes over Pettersson by a fair margin.

Hughes is 6th overall on the list in the "MVP" tier compared to Pettersson at 20 in the "Franchise" tier.

1697285628346.png

1697285740170.png

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I picked Pettersson because I just love watching his game, but either answer is probably fine. I think EP40 has an edge based on play, but the contract status thing probably tips this for Hughes once it’s accounted for.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Offensively they seem very close, obviously , given point totals, but I haven't watched Hughes closely enough to know how good he is defensively, and imo this is where the deciding factor is. Pettersson is brilliant at anticipating where players and passes are going to go. He makes it very hard for the opposing team to rush through the neutral zone. This same skill set works for him an the pk too, as you see he intercepts a lot of passes and can generate a lot of scoring chances while killing penalties. It's a fair argument to say he finished 7th (or whatever) in Selke voting, but there is a lot of politics and team profile involved in that voting process. If the Canucks are a play-off calibre team this year, Pettersson will get a lot of attention, and he will almost certainly be a Selke finalist. An extremely valuable player. If the Devils were to trade Hughes for Pettersson (which they wouldn't), they probly would not be worse off. A 100 point Selke level player is a huge asset.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I suspect Devils fans would overwhelmingly consider Hughes the better player, Canucks fans overwhelmingly consider Pettersson the better player, but I doubt there are many Canucks fans who would consider Pettersson to be worth $3 million per season more than Hughes. I'm a Canuck fan but the 2.5 years difference in ages and expected considerably lower cost for Hughes for the next 7 years made this an easy Hughes vote for me.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Hischier is not better defensively than Pettersen. But, EP > Hischier offensively and it’s not close in my opinion.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Agreed, It is a small gap but even stating your preference within that small gap gets people jumping on you.

for me personally I prefer Hughes so I said Hughes>Pettersson. Some people see that and instantly think I'm saying Hughes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pettersson. That's what happened to me there are definitely other fans have reacted same manner when someone prefers Pettersson.
Doesn’t matter which you’re saying, you’re wrong either way.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Nope, nope and nope.

Even The Athletic's list of player tiers for this season, which is focused on who is better right now regardless of age and doesn't at all consider contract status, has Hughes over Pettersson by a fair margin.

Hughes is 6th overall on the list in the "MVP" tier compared to Pettersson at 20 in the "Franchise" tier.

View attachment 752580

View attachment 752581
The athletic is a clickbait rag at this point.

I suspect Devils fans would overwhelmingly consider Hughes the better player, Canucks fans overwhelmingly consider Pettersson the better player, but I doubt there are many Canucks fans who would consider Pettersson to be worth $3 million per season more than Hughes. I'm a Canuck fan but the 2.5 years difference in ages and expected considerably lower cost for Hughes for the next 7 years made this an easy Hughes vote for me.
He’s easily worth 3 million more.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Nope, nope and nope.

View attachment 752580

View attachment 752581
I was referring to the consensus on this site.

TheAthletic is garbage.

Reactions: Janvonpobben

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nope, nope and nope.

View attachment 752580

View attachment 752581

So they have Hughes scoring 10 more points, being worse defensively and rate them out at 17 and 16 overall, yet they’re in different tiers? Makes sense

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
What’s funny is you guys are bunch of sophisticated fans but the imaginary rivalry will make sure we never get a complete hockey conversation from all of us combined which is a damn shame.

Lol the teams even got siblings player for each side, what a joke

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Canucks fan saying Hughes but it’s super close. I project hughes to be the 3rd-5th best C in the league will be 7-10

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
if you ask me who is the better player right now id have to go with Petey but including other variables like contracts and age it would be tough to go against Hughes especially considering his contract, man penning fumbled again so hard.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad