Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
EPs impending contract status really sways this out of his favour

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
When it comes to core, elite franchise talent, I think you simply take the better player. If McDavid made 15m and MacKinnon made 12m, I'd still take McDavid. I think Pettersson is and will be the better player over the next 8 years as I don't anticipate Hughes becoming enough of a 2 way C nor for a large enough gap in points between the two to emerge that would justify that difference, but Hughes is right behind him and right on the edge of being a top 5 C in the league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pretty easily Hughes. Better contract, better player. Btw, on Hughes not being a good two-way player, taking a look at something such as:
Flojy_qX0AEXz77.jpg:large

I'm not sure why he's considered bad defensively.

And yes, I know Pettersson's was 98% but that's due to the "finishing"-category being better, at least by this model.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Contracts aside, the gap between Hughes and Petey offensively (if it exists) is much, much smaller than the gap between the two defensively. So for that reason I go Petey, but it's close.

Reactions: Play

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hughes is younger and already locked into a favourable contract.

They’re both elite offensively.

Pettersson is the more complete player.

I’d take Hughes, expecting him to continue to improve, and expecting Pettersson to have a more expensive contract.
I like Jack Hughes and he is already a very good player but he might be the most over rated elite player on these boards.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Pretty easily Hughes. Better contract, better player. Btw, on Hughes not being a good two-way player, taking a look at something such as:

And yes, I know Pettersson's was 98% but that's due to the "finishing"-category being better, at least by this model.
I like how you embrace and reject these dumb cards in the same post.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

LOLOLOL
Hey guys look at this model
but ignore the same model otherwise

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Since this is probably the 4th Pettersson/ Jack Hughes poll I'm just going to vote based off of the 1st game of the season.

Pettersson was a good Center but other then the goal He doesn't "Wow" you everytime he's on the ice. Meanwhile whenever Hughes is on the ice your eyes are glued to him because you know he is going to try something absurd and get a goal or almost get one.

Hughes>Pettersson

/HFboards remind me in two months when the next exact poll comes up.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Since this is probably the 4th Pettersson/ Jack Hughes poll I'm just going to vote based off of the 1st game of the season.

Pettersson was a good Center but other then the goal He doesn't "Wow" you everytime he's on the ice. Meanwhile whenever Hughes is on the ice your eyes are glued to him because you know he is going to try something absurd and get a goal or almost get one.

Hughes>Pettersson

Pettersson had 4 points and one of them was a ridiculous saucer pass to garland.

Wtf are you talking about.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Hughes>Pettersson

What did McDavid do? He was outplayed by Pettersson badly.

Moral of the story, you can’t judge by one game.

I agree with your comment about Jack and I also give a similar one to Pettersson.

Both players are special and keep the play moving in the right direction.

Reactions: Xirik

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Hughes will be the better player possibly as soon as this year but it’s pretty close either way

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Maybe it's your eyes that need to be open. Stay up awake for once.

Trying to reverse this isn't exactly helping you here. He got you beat.

EP>Hughes
Hughes>EP

see what I did there?

Telling someone who said they watched both games what happened is ignorant. I guess I shouldn't expect reading comprehension from either of you.

Did you watch tonights Devils game?

toodles!

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hughes>EP

see what I did there?

Telling someone who said they watched both games what happened is ignorant. I guess I shouldn't expect reading comprehension from either of you.

Did you watch tonights Devils game?

toodles!
EP is better overall with both being in the same tier. Their offensive level is close while EP is more physical and better defensively.

It's pretty clear you are clueless af. You have a constant habit of downplaying EP in every thread and showed your insecurity whenever someone finds EP better than Hughes. I remember how you embarrassed yourself last time on saying how EP was being sheltered and will get exposed now that Horvat left. How's that worked for you? Now you got the nerve to say this shit. Hilarious.

You only watched one game. Let's leave it that because you wouldn't reach to such a disastrous take otherwise. Let's also not talking about reading comprehension given your past history.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I hate bullshit like this when great hockey minds who happen to be part of different fan bases fight with each other because they have a similar comparable top player.

What could be great hockey synergy and discussion, but no! Bridges have to be burned because trolls ask the same god damn poll questions 4 times a year

I see with so many posters and different teams

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i see a lot of folks saying theyre equal offensively!..

but would it make sense to have this poll if they were?

i think its obvious Elias is a better defender so it probably would make sense Jack is better offensively; thus making the poll a fair fight!

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
When it comes to core, elite franchise talent, I think you simply take the better player. If McDavid made 15m and MacKinnon made 12m, I'd still take McDavid. I think Pettersson is and will be the better player over the next 8 years as I don't anticipate Hughes becoming enough of a 2 way C nor for a large enough gap in points between the two to emerge that would justify that difference, but Hughes is right behind him and right on the edge of being a top 5 C in the league.
it took Elias until he was 24 to hit 100 points while Jack essentially did that at 21!

i think itd be wise to assume there will be a gap in points and one that is noteworthy

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
EP is so damn good, really big fan of his game.

Jack is sublime offensively. He just is instant offense. And his defensive woes are completely overrated. He’s not Hischier, but his puck control and takeaway ability is what makes him, analytically, really solid defensively.

EP is also 2 years older and right around the beginning of his prime years, and in 2 years I see Jack pushing 115+.

I see arguments for both, but Jack just has such a unique control of the ice and his ability to create time and space is wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad