Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hughes seems to be getting better each year.

Peterson had an amazing rookie year, fell off a cliff, sorta came back to his rookie level, got injured, played uninspired, then had a monster season....

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
it took Elias until he was 24 to hit 100 points while Jack essentially did that at 21!

i think itd be wise to assume there will be a gap in points and one that is noteworthy
There certainly could be one. I've followed both the Canucks and the Devils pretty closely since they got drafted as I'm a big Hughes family fan, and I think both are in similar situations that enable their production at this point, as the Devils are decisively ahead of the Canucks in building a contender. I can see Hughes hitting 120, but I don't know if I can imagine much higher than that. If EP puts up 105-110 points with top 3 defensive play I'd take him over a 120 point JH with defense thats in the 10/15/20 range. If Hughes can put up 120-125 while being a top 5 defensive C I'd absolutely give him the nod over EP fwiw. That player would be arguably the best player in the league, he'd have a case over McDavid.

I love how people say Jack Hughes is bad defensively because.....he's small and bad at faceoffs?
I do think JH is really good defensively, I'd just put him at like, a top 10-15 2 way center while I'd have EP as top 3. Jack's stickwork and takeaway game is really underrated, he's similar to Quinn in how he uses skill and skating to defend instead of the body, and both find a lot of success that way

Last edited:
Reactions: xigon and Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It's pretty clear you are clueless af. You have a constant habit of downplaying EP in every thread and showed your insecurity whenever someone finds EP better than Hughes. I remember how you embarrassed yourself last time on saying how EP was being sheltered and will get exposed now that Horvat left. How's that worked for you? Now you got the nerve to say this shit. Hilarious.

You only watched one game. Let's leave it that because you wouldn't reach to such a disastrous take otherwise. Let's also not talking about reading comprehension given your past history.
This is a very great lesson to everyone about how people should read a post multiple times before replying.

Since this is probably the 4th Pettersson/ Jack Hughes poll I'm just going to vote based off of the 1st game of the season.

Pettersson was a good Center but other then the goal He doesn't "Wow" you everytime he's on the ice. Meanwhile whenever Hughes is on the ice your eyes are glued to him because you know he is going to try something absurd and get a goal or almost get one.

Hughes>Pettersson

/HFboards remind me in two months when the next exact poll comes up.
instead of getting angry and rabid at the first sight of my name you could see that I was mocking how this poll has been done so many times and how I was going to use a different standard to vote.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Elias Pettersson easily. A lot of eastern bias but Pettersson is much more of a complete player.

A lot of people voting Hughes because of contract but I’d take the player who has direct impact on both sides of the ice and will he paid handsomely for that.

• Haha
Reactions: NJ DevLolz

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
it took Elias until he was 24 to hit 100 points while Jack essentially did that at 21!

i think itd be wise to assume there will be a gap in points and one that is noteworthy
He’s never done it. “Essentially did it” doesn’t count.

Same as Petey isn’t a 40 goal scorer. He’s close. Didn’t make it.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Hughes seems to be getting better each year.

Peterson had an amazing rookie year, fell off a cliff, sorta came back to his rookie level, got injured, played uninspired, then had a monster season....
When did he fall off a cliff?

The one point he wasn’t getting better was when he got hurt and for about half a season after. Since then he’s been a hundred point player.

Going from 66 points in 71 games to 66 in 68 is falling off a cliff?

The way people latch on to any dumb narrative to avoid admitting Pettersson is good is hilarious to watch.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He hasn’t scored 100 points and Petey has.
why-fail.gif

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
This is a very great lesson to everyone about how people should read a post multiple times before replying.

instead of getting angry and rabid at the first sight of my name you could see that I was mocking how this poll has been done so many times and how I was going to use a different standard to vote.
We know what you were going for. Regardless of how you attempted to vote, your opinion on EP alone was shortsighted and no one is going to buy into your BS.

It is hughes and it is not close. He scored 100p way earlier than Pettersson.
Imagine actually posting this

EP is so damn good, really big fan of his game.

Jack is sublime offensively. He just is instant offense. And his defensive woes are completely overrated. He’s not Hischier, but his puck control and takeaway ability is what makes him, analytically, really solid defensively.

EP is also 2 years older and right around the beginning of his prime years, and in 2 years I see Jack pushing 115+.

I see arguments for both, but Jack just has such a unique control of the ice and his ability to create time and space is wild.
Good post and well written.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Saying it's wise to assume there will be a gap in points just because he's 3 years younger is hilarious. Needed that laugh.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think there's a massive difference in the level of player here. At least not yet. Could be wrong if we look at this in two years. Both are young, upcoming #1C. Both easily top-10 centermen in the league already.

But EP is going to get 11ish million on a long term deal. At the very least something beginning with a 10. Hughes is signed for 7 years for 8mil. That's probably one of the best deals in the league right now.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
When did he fall off a cliff?

The one point he wasn’t getting better was when he got hurt and for about half a season after. Since then he’s been a hundred point player.

Going from 66 points in 71 games to 66 in 68 is falling off a cliff?

The way people latch on to any dumb narrative to avoid admitting Pettersson is good is hilarious to watch.

2021-2022 is when he fell off a cliff.
That year he dropped to 57th in league scoring

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
2021-2022 is when he fell off a cliff.
That year he dropped to 57th in league scoring
That’s true he was prettt bad in the first half.

Wonder if it had anything to do with missing 56 games to injury the year before.

I guess being bad for ~40 games outweighs returning to form for the second half and following up by getting 100 points.

“Peterson had an amazing rookie year, fell off a cliff, sorta came back to his rookie level, got injured, played uninspired, then had a monster season”

So all of “fell off a cliff”, “played uninspired” and “sorta came back to his rookie level” are comments on the same season?
The season right after he got injured?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Pettersson is basically equal to Hughes offensively and Hischier defensively. There are two ends to the rink and he's the better player by a fairly substantial margin.
Basically equal offensively? Hughes had more goals in his age 21 season than Pettersson has ever had. He had 336 shots last year, Pettersson has never had more than 257.

The number of players better than Hughes by a “substantial margin” is very small, and he ain’t one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad