Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
You literally don't even know what you're arguing at this point. I couldn't care less about bias in an argument about who most would rather have. Trying to prove one guy is better than the other is besides the point. You said most think EP is better, which is wrong. Claiming he's better does not mean most think that.

In other words... Hughes wins the popularity contest whether you like it or not. Keep your L and add it to your collection. Lol
Golden boys never live up to the hype.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
11 points and +8 in 4 games against the ducks last year. Did you even watch the games last year?
Well being fully transparent he had 5 in one of the games I didn’t see. I’m also not saying he didn’t produce. Just when I watch Jack Hughes (I mentioned in the first post is a lot more then I watch EP) he dominates more. I would take him in a heartbeat over EP. Doesn’t necessarily mean I’m right either. Just my opinion.

Also in a heartbeat doesn’t mean anyone is miles better. I’m not saying there is some massive gap. I just like Jack Hughes more as a player and I would choose him everytime. Just like you would choose EP every time, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Well being fully transparent he had 5 in one of the games I didn’t see. I’m also not saying he didn’t produce. Just when I watch Jack Hughes (I mentioned in the first post is a lot more then I watch EP) he dominates more. I would take him in a heartbeat over EP. Doesn’t necessarily mean I’m right either. Just my opinion.

Also in a heartbeat doesn’t mean anyone is miles better. I’m not saying there is some massive gap. I just like Jack Hughes more as a player and I would choose him everytime. Just like you would choose EP every time, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Quack on!!!

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
As players they are super close, but the poll asks who do you take for the next 8 years..this is Hughes because he is a couple years younger…which is the deal breaker

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That has nothing to do with career ppg.
the question in op is not about who has the better career ppg or was the better player in the past. it's about the better option for the next 8 seasons. so past achievements don't help much. pettersson's ppg from the past is not indicative of him being better in the future, because pettersson joined the nhl when he was older and more developped. hughes did some of his development steps in the nhl, which obviously lowers his ppg.

as players they are very close today. but hughes is 2.5 years younger and has already signed a long term contract at a very team friendly aav. i honestly can't imagine the contract pettersson will sign next summer, which would make me choose him in this poll.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I just noticed. Hughes is 0.85ppg and petersson 1.01ppg in their careers.

Convenient that people brought up pettersons down year when hughes sucked all seasons but last one

EP didn't play in the NHL his D+1 year, while Hughes did as a scrawny 18 year old. If you remove that season for Hughes and compare them both from their D+2 seasons on, Hughes has a higher career PPG. Hughes' PPG have also increased every single season.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I can't understand people need to get pissed off, both are great players. Hughes is the choice in this poll simply because he's already signed and is younger. That doesn't mean that EP isn't as good or maybe even better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
EP didn't play in the NHL his D+1 year, while Hughes did as a scrawny 18 year old. If you remove that season for Hughes and compare them both from their D+2 seasons on, Hughes has a higher career PPG. Hughes' PPG have also increased every single season.
you are moving goalposts now.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley and Regal

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
That poster claims Hughes “can’t play defense,” so I wouldn’t even engage. He clearly just sees a small offensive player and makes assumptions not based on viewings or knowledge.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Since no player can break into the league in exact time frame you cant just remove seasons. And Euros are at disadvantage for not playing on small ice before.

Actually, I can do whatever I want.

Hughes played 117 games as a teenager in the NHL compared to just 12 for EP. He's also a much different player than those first two seasons, going from 0.44 PPG to 1.26 PPG.

Looking at career stats to have those first two seasons weigh down Jack's PPG average when EP wasn't even playing in the NHL at that age is kinda pathetic. I also like how you claimed Hughes "sucked all seasons except last one" when he also put up 56 points in 49 games two seasons ago, but OK.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Actually, I can do whatever I want.

Hughes played 117 games as a teenager in the NHL compared to just 12 for EP. He's also a much different player than those first two seasons, going from 0.44 PPG to 1.26 PPG.

Looking at career stats to have those first two seasons weigh down Jack's PPG average when EP wasn't even playing in the NHL at that age is kinda pathetic. I also like how you claimed Hughes "sucked all seasons except last one" when he also put up 56 points in 49 games two seasons ago, but OK.
I can do whatever i want also and hughes is a one dimensional player with no defense. Overrated.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Wow, now that’s a statement.

Also considering your join date, no one’s going to say otherwise.

Fierce and well informed.
based on the arguments in this thread some canucks fans would choose crosby over pettersson for the NEXT eight years.

taking things out of context of this poll and completely changing the subject is more or less a troll job.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Scott Stevens > Pavel Bure
Ken Daneyko > Trever Linden
Martin Brodeur > All Vancouver goalies
Kovalchuk > Henrik Sedin
Gomez > Daniel Sedin

Put this all together and it = Jack Hughes > Elias Pettersson

MATH

Ad

Upcoming events