Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Yep. Nico's 2 goals and zero assists in seven games makes that a really tight poll. It definitely doesn't make sense to compare the two that are neck and neck for top point scorer.

I can agree with this on Petey's end. He needs to show up more consistently this year. However he's still managed to put himself 2nd in point scoring. If he can show more consistency its scary to imagine what he could do. 110-120 points might be within reach. Maybe more. He is a deeply psychological player so the key is in his mind, just putting all the bs aside and playing.
Yes, terrifying. I’m hiding under the sheets here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
EP could be a perennial Selke candidate, you rarely see a forward being such a difference maker at the defensive end, however Jack is more consistent offensively, not necessarily better when both are at their best, but Elias seems to fluctuate between super elite to pretty average offensively. Maybe not average but there are games where he seems to be more dependent on his team mates performing well while Hughes can create more by himself on a more consistent bases, at the other hand Jack has a stronger supporting cast.

Have to think that’s balanced out by getting to play with Quinn instead of Luke. Are Hughes regular linemates really any better?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So the great defensive player had a hat trick... and he was underwater in Corsi, Shots, and expected goals percentage at 5 v 5 in the same game. For the season he's underwater in shots and expected goals for percentage and scoring chances and high danger chances and his PDO is almost 108. His on ice shooting percentage is almost 17%. At some point opposing goalies will make a save or two. He's a great player but there is probably going to be some regression to the mean at some point. In contrast, Hughes has good advanced numbers while his on ice shooting percentage is about 8.5% and his PDO is 948. He's getting terribly unlucky and still is ahead of Petersson in scoring right now. I'm sure this argument will rage back and forth for many years.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I would say more goofing around and poking light fun at the “it’s scary” phrase that gets thrown around here.

Bring a dick seems extreme!
My bad...I didn't catch the goofiness. It's really a meaningless phrase that gets thrown around because sports fans are sports fans.

So the great defensive player had a hat trick... and he was underwater in Corsi, Shots, and expected goals percentage at 5 v 5 in the same game. For the season he's underwater in shots and expected goals for percentage and scoring chances and high danger chances and his PDO is almost 108. His on ice shooting percentage is almost 17%. At some point opposing goalies will make a save or two. He's a great player but there is probably going to be some regression to the mean at some point. In contrast, Hughes has good advanced numbers while his on ice shooting percentage is about 8.5% and his PDO is 948. He's getting terribly unlucky and still is ahead of Petersson in scoring right now. I'm sure this argument will rage back and forth for many years.
Pettersson has been off his game since about game 3. He had another maintenance day today and apparently still is dealing with something. Its crazy he is where he is, and some of that seems to be luck. But a lot of it is just elite skill.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
My bad...I didn't catch the goofiness. It's really a meaningless phrase that gets thrown around because sports fans are sports fans.

Pettersson has been off his game since about game 3. He had another maintenance day today and apparently still is dealing with something. Its crazy he is where he is, and some of that seems to be luck. But a lot of it is just elite skill.
No worries! Agree sports fans just being sports fans.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I don’t think those advanced stats tell the whole story especially not in a small sample size over 9 games. Watching him play you can clearly see he’s a difference maker defensively when he needs to. That said, I don’t think he’s been great offensively. Great offensively he was in his first 3 months in the league as a 19 y o before that weird Kotkaniemi injury. Right now he’s more this unicorn type of Datsyukian center with great all around and defensive game who can show flashes of brilliance offensively, but I’d be surprised if he ever wins the Art Ross. Which can seem as a weird statement since both his shot and passing are elite, I can’t really put my finger on it.

Reactions: bh53 and My3Sons

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Am I missing something? Hockey refrence has Jack Hughes at 19.2 SH% to Pettersson's 20%?

Pettersson is notably playing through an injury right now too

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Am I missing something? Hockey refrence has Jack Hughes at 19.2 SH% to Pettersson's 20%?

Pettersson is notably playing through an injury right now too

On ice shooting percentage is the percentage of shots that go in when you’re on the ice, not your individual shooting percentage. 17 % is really high so that’s the easiest way to tell he won’t keep his pace. Hughes scoring like this at 8.5 is pretty surprising and shows he might just maintain a crazy pace this year

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
On ice shooting percentage is the percentage of shots that go on when you’re on the ice, not your individual shooting percentage. 17 % is really high so that’s the easiest way to tell he won’t keep his pace. Hughes scoring like this at 8.5 is pretty surprising and shows he might just maintain a crazy pace this year
I know that. I was referring to his on-ice shooting percentage. Hockey Reference has his all-situations on-ice shooting percentage at 19.2. I guess that poster was referring purely to 5v5, but in all situations, they're nearly equally as lucky

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I know that. I was referring to his on-ice shooting percentage. Hockey Reference has his all-situations on-ice shooting percentage at 19.2. I guess that poster was referring purely to 5v5, but in all situations, they're nearly equally as lucky
Yep, New Jersey has scored on 30% of their shots on goal on the PP when Hughes has been on the ice. He has 10 PP points in eight games.

Reactions: canuckking1

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That’s fair and I was looking at 5 v 5. No question Hughes is having everything go in on the power play. My point was less about scoring and more that I know Petterson is credited as a great defender by Canucks fans but the numbers don’t really back it up at 5 v 5 and the last game they were pretty stark. They are both great and I doubt either fan base wants to switch them.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
At this point let's just do the poll and see the results. It's a repeated thing and bordering on obsession by Devils fans likely relating to the fact that Pettersson was taken after Hischier and has turned into 1A/1B from that draft and miles ahead of their #1 OA pick. It would make more sense if they hadn't won the Jack Hughes lottery and accumulated a ton of other talent.
LOL at that suggestion of Hischier vs Pettersson suggestion

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
At this point let's just do the poll and see the results. It's a repeated thing and bordering on obsession by Devils fans likely relating to the fact that Pettersson was taken after Hischier and has turned into 1A/1B from that draft and miles ahead of their #1 OA pick. It would make more sense if they hadn't won the Jack Hughes lottery and accumulated a ton of other talent.
They did one not too long ago and they were saying he wouldn’t be in the top 5 of their redraft
The guy who leads the draft class goals, assists, and points.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
They did one not too long ago and they were saying he wouldn’t be in the top 5 of their redraft
The guy who leads the draft class goals, assists, and points.

Didn't nhl.com or whoever just make a redraft a year or so ago where Hischier was barely even top10 with even guys like Suzuki ahead of him. No need to shit on Hischier any more, everyone already hates him. Especially now that he's injured again, it's just kicking someone when they're down. No one is suggesting he's anywhere close to Pettersson offensively, especially after this season. It's only his defensive game that's comparable, him being the selke runner up after all.

I think the real redraft question is does Pettersson go ahead of Makar, and if we go by this season (and if this is any indication how the future will look), I think he definitely should.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Didn't nhl.com or whoever just make a redraft a year or so ago where Hischier was barely even top10 with even guys like Suzuki ahead of him. No need to shit on Hischier any more, everyone already hates him. Especially now that he's injured again, it's just kicking someone when they're down. No one is suggesting he's anywhere close to Pettersson offensively, especially after this season. It's only his defensive game that's comparable, him being the selke runner up after all.

I think the real redraft question is does Pettersson go ahead of Makar, and if we go by this season (and if this is any indication how the future will look), I think he definitely should.

10 games certainly seals the deal for me tbh. EP definitely goes ahead of Makar.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

I doubt Pettersson goes before Makar. I guess it could come down to a teams need at the current time.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Show me where Mr debil touched you. Seems like you have the obsession…

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

Makar has better RS and PO carrer PPG(as D) and historic Conn Smythe run on top of that. I think we need few years of EP being better player to consider him being drafter higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad