Confirmed with Link: Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin coming to Calgary for Dougie Hamilton, Adam Fox, Micheal Ferland

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Posters seem way too eager to discount Fox’s value in that trade. We probably wouldn’t be able to sign him but he was still a very good piece we gave up.
In order to give something away you actually have to have possession of it. We didn't.
First of all, Fox was never going to sign with Calgary and that's been well documented. Sure the Flames had his rights but that's like saying you still own a dog that ran away shortly after you got him and you have no idea where he is. Technically I guess you could say he's your dog but practically he's nobody's dog.

All we gave to Carolina was the right to try and catch him and the hope that they can sign him... and I doubt they will. Would Carolina have made the deal without the Fox throw-in? Probably not. All we did was give Carolina something that was worthless to us. In the end Fox will most likely become a FA and sign for the best team that gives him the best chance to play in the NHL asap (like as soon as he graduates)...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
A signed prospect and an unsigned prospect in College who can refuse to sign has a huge difference in value.

A signed to ELC Fox is worth a lot. An unsigned Fox who might not sign with the team holding his rights has a lot less value. He still has value because he is a good prospect (not blue chip IMO), but in reality he isn't worth a lot unsigned. He was a good piece to add into the Carolina trade, but I do not for a minute think he is a big piece in the trade like some people do. When the trade first broke a lot also said he was just a throw in, but I don't believe that either. Somewhere in between.

Reactions: tmurfin

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In order to give something away you actually have to have possession of it. We didn't.
First of all, Fox was never going to sign with Calgary and that's been well documented. Sure the Flames had his rights but that's like saying you still own a dog that ran away shortly after you got him and you have no idea where he is. Technically I guess you could say he's your dog but practically he's nobody's dog.

All we gave to Carolina was the right to try and catch him and the hope that they can sign him... and I doubt they will. Would Carolina have made the deal without the Fox throw-in? Probably not. All we did was give Carolina something that was worthless to us. In the end Fox will most likely become a FA and sign for the best team that gives him the best chance to play in the NHL asap (like as soon as he graduates)...

Being unsigned doesn’t change his value as a prospect, only his trade value. We gave up a very valuable prospect.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Being unsigned doesn’t change his value as a prospect, only his trade value. We gave up a very valuable prospect.

Who was never signing with Calgary.

I don't know why people are giving him a pass, the guy pulled a Tom Erixon and yet know one seemingly cares. He has a shit attitude and I am glad he'll never be a Flame.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Who was never signing with Calgary.

I don't know why people are giving him a pass, the guy pulled a Tom Erixon and yet know one seemingly cares. He has a **** attitude and I am glad he'll never be a Flame.

I’m not giving him a pass at all. I’m just stating his inclusion in the trade is much more than the throw-in that it’s made out to be.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A signed prospect and an unsigned prospect in College who can refuse to sign has a huge difference in value.

A signed to ELC Fox is worth a lot. An unsigned Fox who might not sign with the team holding his rights has a lot less value. He still has value because he is a good prospect (not blue chip IMO), but in reality he isn't worth a lot unsigned. He was a good piece to add into the Carolina trade, but I do not for a minute think he is a big piece in the trade like some people do. When the trade first broke a lot also said he was just a throw in, but I don't believe that either. Somewhere in between.
I consider him a throw-in as he makes the trade a little more attractive to the Canes. To the Flames he really had little value...
For example, I have a Nikon camera that I want to sell. It uses a specific type of memory card that none of my other cameras use. In fact few cameras use this type of memory card. When I sell the camera I will throw in all the memory cards that I have that fit the camera, thus making the deal more attractive to the buyer. In this case those memory cards have more value than if I just kept them.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The point I made shortly after the trade that I haven't seen anyone else make re: Fox, is that if the organisation knew he wouldn't sign in Calgary, why did they let everyone else find out? How did the cat get out of the bag? From what I remember there were no rumblings that Fox was leaving prior to the trade apart from the usual NCAA paranoia. How did it get out to the other 30 GMs, and who's responsible?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’m not giving him a pass at all. I’m just stating his inclusion in the trade is much more than the throw-in that it’s made out to be.
I consider a throw in to be something you give away because it has little value to yourself.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I consider a throw in to be something you give away because it has little value to yourself.

If you go to pay for a burger at a restaurant and it comes to $12.75 and you end up leaving a $3.00 tip in change instead of an even $15.00 because you have extra change and wanted to get rid of it, it doesn’t mean the change has no value.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If you go to pay for a burger at a restaurant and it comes to $12.75 and you end up leaving a $3.00 tip in change instead of an even $15.00 because you have extra change and wanted to get rid of it, it doesn’t mean the change has no value.
Ok. It was a tip then. The Flames tipped the Canes Fox because the service was outstanding. And 20 games into the season I would have no problems going back there to eat again. :thumbu:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Fox was a throw in from the Flames point of view but an integral piece for the Hurricanes without which the deal doesn't get done.

Basically, Waddell wanted another piece because he didn't think Hamilton and Ferland (or specifically their contract situation compared to Hanifin/Lindholm's) was enough. So that's when Treliving talked to Fox's agent trying to see if he was willing to sign, either now or give assurances that he would next year. He didn't get them, so in the deal he went.

And the news that Fox wasn't going to sign here only came out after the trade was done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, it wouldn't make sense to break that news and tank his trade value while he was still a member of the organization.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The information came out after, his agent told the Flames he wasn't signing. To his credit, Fox and the agent didn't leak the info. early like Erixon's camp, they kept it all in the organization until after, but it is still a dick move IMO even if he has the right.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The information came out after, his agent told the Flames he wasn't signing. To his credit, Fox and the agent didn't leak the info. early like Erixon's camp, they kept it all in the organization until after, but it is still a dick move IMO even if he has the right.

There are still many here that think Fox's value would have went up even more. The problem with that theory is that the agent wanted it known by all teams that his player will be a free agent this year likely no later than the draft. (Fox's agent actually did BT a solid by telling him their intentions- be mad all you want but this was the best scenario for the Flames and Fox... period. Unless Fox plays 8 years with Carolina in a second pairing role or better Calgary is the winner) Tre did maximize his returns by acquiring the two best players with 12 years of contract time for 2 lesser player of 4 years of contract time.

So we gave up Fox.. at best you might get a second round pick for his rights. Tre knew Hamilton's real value (Second pairing right d-man with defensive liabilities). I have said since the trade Calgary had won this entire trade by getting the 2 best players. When you see Gio's numbers rebound with Hamilton gone and the solid play of Hanifin with Hamonic it becomes fairly clear we won there and Lindholm has been nothing but a stud.

I also find it doubtful that Fox will turn into the next Duncan Keith. He would have to be that good in order to say Calgary lost this trade.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I doubt that the Canes sign Fox. They have a logjam of Dmen, they're a pretty small market, and aren't really well known for shelling out the cash to pay their players which is pretty much why we got Lindholm in the first place.

I think by this time next year, Fox will be a member of the Rangers organization

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
From the flames perspective he was a throw in, he wasn't singing. So to us, he's worthless. Sucks for us, but if that got the trade done, why would we care as the flames at this point. He was worthless to our team.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Still, having his rights would have been valuable we could have traded him to NYR to take Neal, or for a first etc.
0% chance we would’ve gotten a 1st for him. MAYBE a 2nd, tops, considering he wasn’t signing and everyone knew it, and the fact that there are very real questions about his game translating still. We got him in that trade at the right time, we don’t get Lindy and Hani without tossing him in there imo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
0% chance we would’ve gotten a 1st for him. MAYBE a 2nd, tops, considering he wasn’t signing and everyone knew it, and the fact that there are very real questions about his game translating still. We got him in that trade at the right time, we don’t get Lindy and Hani without tossing him in there imo.

You don’t think? I think that’s a crazy take.

He is a top ten prospect and look at what Erixon got us as a UFA...

We traded Fox with 3 summers left of negotiation. He had lots of value

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

The Tim Erixon trade is exactly why the value of NCAA prospects has plummeted.

On June 20, 2016, the Buffalo Sabres acquired Vesey's rights from the Predators in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.[2] The deal was made in order to give the Sabres an extra few weeks of exclusive negotiating rights with Vesey before he became a free agent. Despite this, Vesey's agent informed ESPN that he had still intended to become a free agent.[8] While discussions with the Sabres continued, a deal was not struck and in accordance with the NHL CBA, Vesey became an unrestricted free agent on August 16

If Vesey only garnered a 3rd how is it that you expect Fox to garner more? Especially considering how Fox's agent wanted the information out there that he is going to free agency.

I think a second round pick would have been a best case scenario with nobody knowing what Fox's plans were.

And Fox only has 2 years of eligibility left including this year in the NCAA.

For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

Thus as has been speculated Fox will likely become a free agent this summer coming up.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Rangers Analysis: Breaking Down The Tim Erixon Trade

Erixon was VERY highly touted at the time, and he didn’t get a 1st. I don’t know where you’re getting top 10 from, I never seen Fox that high on any lists, and Erixon was considered a sure fired NHLer at the time, whereas, like I said, there are still huge question marks with Fox.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Dougie rumored to be available for trade AGAIN.

At the point where I am officially convinced something is wrong with Dougie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad