Rumor: Eklund so take for what its worth (re: Hall)

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
no that was Konecny or Sanheim plus either Frost or Myers.

Couturier straight up.

Johnny is one of the best players in the league. Any return for him should reflect that if he isn’t at least offered a contract first. Trading him for peanuts because he doesn’t have enough help around him is crazy imo.

Ah I see. I do agree Johnny is very valuable, and the return should reflect that.

If they can sign Hall as speculated, I would hope TRE pulls the trigger on Konecny + Frost if it's on the table (seems optimistic). I love Johnny but Hall + Frost + Konecny could be a line next season, and a godamn good one.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Aside from the one season in NJ I don’t think Hall has ever shown he can be “the guy” and get a team to the playoffs. Signing him and trading Johnny is so counterproductive in my mind. He’s just never struck me as a guy who should be the best player on your team.

Without trying to sound like a broken record, I think the interest in signing Hall would be to help insulate and support Johnny, not to get rid of him.

Of course, if it’s a hockey trade where we get a similar player back for Johnny that makes sense, but not the futures type deals a lot of people are proposing

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Aside from the one season in NJ I don’t think Hall has ever shown he can be “the guy” and get a team to the playoffs. Signing him and trading Johnny is so counterproductive in my mind. He’s just never struck me as a guy who should be the best player on your team.

Without trying to sound like a broken record, I think the interest in signing Hall would be to help insulate and support Johnny, not to get rid of him.

Of course, if it’s a hockey trade where we get a similar player back for Johnny that makes sense, but not the futures type deals a lot of people are proposing

I dunno, if the Flames sign Hall and trade Gaudreau, Hall still won't be the best LW on the team. That would be Tkachuk.

I mean, if you could do something like Gaudreau and Bennett for Konecny and Frost (not sure if it can be done), then your top 6 looks like this:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Backlund - Konecny

Then, you give both Dube and Frost a bunch of time centering that 2nd line to see if either guy has the chops to be a 2C in this league. If either one sticks then Backlund becomes a very good defensive 2B center.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Leslie isn't trustworthy to you? I get Francis but c'mon
I don't consider a single radio snippet to get us to "all but confirmed he's leaving."

We're talking about something that is extremely rare in the NHL occurring, so we would need a lot more than a TV personality's speculation to get us to that point. And unless you are suggesting that Gaudreau has actually confided this information in Leslie (which wouldn't make sense on any level), that's all it is.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, Hall has the talent to be "the guy" but he's asked to do so much he often doesn't have the durability to be "the guy" that teams want. He'd flourish being afforded a position in the passenger seat.

If we can pay him passenger seat money and explain to him he will be a passenger, I think he will outperform that contract (talking 1-2 AAV less). But if he's asked to be the guy and paid as such, IMO his performance will not match the passenger contract. It will be worse.

I think Hall on a 7x7 will perform far better than Hall on a 9x7 year contract. It's not even a value argument. It's a mentality one.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
IMO, Hall has the talent to be "the guy" but he's asked to do so much he often doesn't have the durability to be "the guy" that teams want. He'd flourish being afforded a position in the passenger seat.

If we can pay him passenger seat money and explain to him he will be a passenger, I think he will outperform that contract (talking 1-2 AAV less). But if he's asked to be the guy and paid as such, IMO his performance will not match the passenger contract. It will be worse.

I think Hall on a 7x7 will perform far better than Hall on a 9x7 year contract. It's not even a value argument. It's a mentality one.
It's the last contract of his career, it's about money. His personal performance doesn't matter as much because at some point he will definitely regress during this contract. The only thing that might convince him to take a little less, and it won't be significant, would be a shot at winning. I'm guessing if he wants to win, he may sign for $9 million a year. Kevin Hayes sign for over $7 million and has never broke 50 points. There is zero chance of Hall signing for 7.

Personally, I hope Tre stays far away from this one. It has the potential to make the Neal contract look decent, in the long run and could very well cost him his job. Fortunately, there's almost no chance we can afford him, especially with the shortened off season

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I don't consider a single radio snippet to get us to "all but confirmed he's leaving."

We're talking about something that is extremely rare in the NHL occurring, so we would need a lot more than a TV personality's speculation to get us to that point. And unless you are suggesting that Gaudreau has actually confided this information in Leslie (which wouldn't make sense on any level), that's all it is.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...works-as-nurse

There's no way Johnny would want to move closer to his family and girlfriend, and all of the obviously close ties he is still maintaining in the philadelphia region.

Open your eyes. Also, if this your mug that keeps popping up in my email inbox?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yeah I just posted that article in the AGM thread.

Johnny is as good as gone, I hate to say it.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
As if an article that only mentions his girlfriend in Philly working as a nurse proves anything.

Here I was reading it waiting for something groundbreaking and conclusive. What a waste of my time that was.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
As if an article that only mentions his girlfriend in Philly working as a nurse proves anything.

Here I was reading it waiting for something groundbreaking and conclusive. What a waste of my time that was.

You're not ever going to get anything "conclusive" until either Johnny is gone or he signs an extension in Calgary. He's not going to come out and say he wants to go there and he's just biding his time. But look at the indicators:

1. He grew up a Flyers fan
2. Ryan Leslie (and others) have said they believe he will leave as a UFA
3. His off season home is about an hours drive from the Flyers arena
4. Hayes, one of Johnny's best friends, plays for Philly now
5. The Flyers are the type of organization to bring a big name home so to speak
6. His fricken girlfriend is a nurse in Philly lol

I mean hey, if you want to believe there isn't a fire burning while we're all choking on the smoke, that's your prerogative.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Okay...that’s not the point though. The point is it was laughable to post that article as a source to support the idea that he will leave as a UFA. It mentions one of your “indicators”, but somehow it was used by the initial poster of proof of “all the obvious ties he is still maintaining in Philly”, which is such a leap I damn near choked on my coffee.

Like it’s fine to believe he will leave (I myself think it’s very likely) but holy confirmation bias.

BTW, we have hospitals that his girlfriend could work at here too lol

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
holy confirmation bias.

My eyes are rolling down the street right now.

1. the Drs and Nurses that are here right now barely want to work at our hospitals because of the treatment they are getting from the current health minister
2. That alone says a lot- she could but she's not. Obviously she likes it in Philly.

Gaudreau is obviously not going to come out and say he's definitively not signing (until maybe trade deadline before his UFA year.) It tanks his next contract value if he appears to limit the potential suitors publicly. That would be stupid.

What would not be stupid is clearly building up your own life elsewhere so that you could potentially land there on your next contract, or maybe not until you retire. Like johnny has obviously continued to do in the Philadelphia area.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I still can't get over the ridiculousness of pushing back on this piece of evidence. If you're a young woman dating a millionaire, and you are choosing to live and work in a different city than said millionaire, there's something going on.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's the last contract of his career, it's about money. His personal performance doesn't matter as much because at some point he will definitely regress during this contract. The only thing that might convince him to take a little less, and it won't be significant, would be a shot at winning. I'm guessing if he wants to win, he may sign for $9 million a year. Kevin Hayes sign for over $7 million and has never broke 50 points. There is zero chance of Hall signing for 7.

Personally, I hope Tre stays far away from this one. It has the potential to make the Neal contract look decent, in the long run and could very well cost him his job. Fortunately, there's almost no chance we can afford him, especially with the shortened off season

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that I think Hall would flourish as a passenger rather than being asked to be "the guy" on any future teams.

Even if we're talking money, is 2 mil AAV going to be a back breaker for Hall? Possibly.
He is finishing off a 6x6 and adding another contract. If somehow you can get him into signing for less than 8x8, you have to look into it. I also highly disagree that Hall would ever be another Neal. He's more likely than Neal or Lucic to LTIRetire his career.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I still can't get over the ridiculousness of pushing back on this piece of evidence. If you're a young woman dating a millionaire, and you are choosing to live and work in a different city than said millionaire, there's something going on.
Holy don’t pull a muscle jumping to conclusions.

Again, I agree Johnny goes back home at some point. But the level of mental gymnastics it takes to get there from that article is unbelievably nonsensical. It’s a level of confirmation bias that I have never seen before.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gaudreau only moves this offseason if he explicitly asks for a trade. Especially if Hall signs elsewhere, which is something we haven't really accounted for in armchair GM projections.

This core's days are numbered. Getting futures that are 2-4 years away from contributing is pointless and ensures that we stay mediocre.

Go all in while Johnny is under contract. Re-evaluate after that

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Okay...that’s not the point though. The point is it was laughable to post that article as a source to support the idea that he will leave as a UFA. It mentions one of your “indicators”, but somehow it was used by the initial poster of proof of “all the obvious ties he is still maintaining in Philly”, which is such a leap I damn near choked on my coffee.

Like it’s fine to believe he will leave (I myself think it’s very likely) but holy confirmation bias.

What's easier for Johnny and gf : Trying to transfer her certificates and all that red tape from the US system to Canada, to leave her home and family to live in frigid Calgary?
Or Johnny signing a gigantic contract with his boyhood favorite, in his home area, and she gets to stay near her roots.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
lol, I admire people trying to hang onto hope, but I was on the fence before hearing his girlfriend is a nurse in a Philly hospital. As soon as I read that I fell right off the fence and right into the thorn bushes.

Johnny is as good as gone in my opinion.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What's easier for Johnny and gf : Trying to transfer her certificates and all that red tape from the US system to Canada, to leave her home and family to live in frigid Calgary?
Or Johnny signing a gigantic contract with his boyhood favorite, in his home area, and she gets to stay near her roots.
It’s not always about what’s easier, my guy.

For a third time though, the only thing I’m arguing is the article in question being presented in a way that it provides some sort of groundbreaking information. It doesn’t

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It’s not always about what’s easier, my guy.

For a third time though, the only thing I’m arguing is the article in question being presented in a way that it provides some sort of groundbreaking information. It doesn’t
I'm not your guy but also I should have noted that this is all speculation based on Philly needing or wanting Johnny or having room for him in the first place.
I didn't read the article.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You're not ever going to get anything "conclusive" until either Johnny is gone or he signs an extension in Calgary. He's not going to come out and say he wants to go there and he's just biding his time. But look at the indicators:

1. He grew up a Flyers fan
2. Ryan Leslie (and others) have said they believe he will leave as a UFA
3. His off season home is about an hours drive from the Flyers arena
4. Hayes, one of Johnny's best friends, plays for Philly now
5. The Flyers are the type of organization to bring a big name home so to speak
6. His fricken girlfriend is a nurse in Philly lol

I mean hey, if you want to believe there isn't a fire burning while we're all choking on the smoke, that's your prerogative.
Yes, how dare he not sever any and all ties with his hometown, friends, and family when he moves somewhere else.

Johnny Gaudreau is actually a human person, you know. Like many others in the world, he can go to work somewhere and call somewhere else "home".

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Johnny is a play driver. Monahan is a finisher. Lindholm does a bit of both. What that line really needs is another play driver at RW to take some of the pressure off of Johnny. The whole league knows he'll carry the puck into the zone and do a button hook looking to dish the puck out.
I'd argue what that line needs is another play driver at C. Monahan is the weak link, because teams straight up don't need to cover him until the puck is solidly in the zone and he's in the slot.

Reactions: Dack

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that I think Hall would flourish as a passenger rather than being asked to be "the guy" on any future teams.

Even if we're talking money, is 2 mil AAV going to be a back breaker for Hall? Possibly.
He is finishing off a 6x6 and adding another contract. If somehow you can get him into signing for less than 8x8, you have to look into it. I also highly disagree that Hall would ever be another Neal. He's more likely than Neal or Lucic to LTIRetire his career.
Everything I've read about Hall, points toward him reveling in being the guy, to the extreme of needing to be the guy. This includes heavy speculation that Hall was moved because he couldn't handle not being the guy, when McDavid was drafted. Hall would be 35 after a 6 year contract. He may kick around chasing a cup, on cheap, short term deals, for a few years after that, but this is the last big one. The fact that you're even throwing around numbers like 6x6, tells me you're not really thinking this through rationally. That's what Hall got paid coming off his entry level.....in 2013. This is 2020, and whether or not I agree with it, 6x6 is a number tossed around for 40-50 point player now a days.

And yes $2 million a year most definitely is a deal breaker for most players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad