Rumor: Eklund so take for what its worth (re: Hall)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames got $19 mil to spend in the off season and need to sign 2 RHD, a backup goalie, Mangipane, and 4 other guys to have 13,7,2. If Hall is serious about playing in Calgary and winning he takes less than $9 mil leaving us with $10 mil to get a 2nd pairing RHD (for the love of f*** re-sign Brodie for $5.5), $2 mil for Mangi and $2.5 mil in ELC contracts. It can be done and still have a dope ass roster. The following 2 years we gain an additional 1.1 then another 1.5 space from buyouts and we're a year away from Lucic being gone.

You can't tell me
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hall
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

wouldn't be one of the best top 6's in the league. We still got Ras, Hanifin, Vali on the back end with Gio and hopefully Ollie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With how much of a mess this season is with Covid and cap freeze, I could imagine Treliving calling Hall and saying, "7.5 mil AAV, final offer" and hanging up. I think Hall might even think critically about that. He's collected enough salary so far that if he's serious about winning, the type of money he's leaving on the table is negligible to ensure he plays on a roster where he's not required to try and carry the team and he has a chance of competing for anything more than the lotto. He was basically always top 3 (often 1 or 2) of all positions in load carriers while playing on the Oilers and NJD. He'd be like outside of the top 5 easily on the Flames in terms of load carrying expectation. Hell, even on the top line he'd be #3 load carrier expectation. That's not to say he can't step up and try to push into the top 3, but there's no pressure for him to be there if he cannot maintain it.

That's not to say that at 7.5 mil AAV other teams cannot offer similar insulation and opportunities of a strong balanced roster for him to compete on. But IMO, he might just take the opportunity to not have to be the guy. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if Hall signed at 8 mil with someone else.

If we somehow get Hall though, I would want to keep Bennett to see if seeing Hall's style up close would help him break out.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hall needs the puck a lot to make plays happen, much like Gaudreau does. They should be split up.

Anyone remember when Hall and Gaudreau were linemates at the All-Star game years back when Hall was still an Oiler? It's possibly the best I've ever seen Gaudreau play with a linemate. Yes it is a no effort All Star game, but still they had insane chemistry.

Hall and Gaudreau passing it around setting up Monahan? Dude gets 50 easily.

His point totals don't scare me, his injury history does. He's been on not just bad but GOD AWFUL teams his entire career, I'd imagine if he had a good team and was playing for the Cup he'd do quite well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Anyone remember when Hall and Gaudreau were linemates at the All-Star game years back when Hall was still an Oiler? It's possibly the best I've ever seen Gaudreau play with a linemate. Yes it is a no effort All Star game, but still they had insane chemistry.

Hall and Gaudreau passing it around setting up Monahan? Dude gets 50 easily.

His point totals don't scare me, his injury history does. He's been on not just bad but GOD AWFUL teams his entire career, I'd imagine if he had a good team and was playing for the Cup he'd do quite well.

Well, I'd take the All Star games with a grain of salt, the competition isn't the same level as a normal game.

Every team that Hall has been on, the team hands him the reins and expect him to do everything. Just look at New Jersey, they were doing okay and were capable of making the playoffs. Income Taylor Hall, they just expected him to do everything.

To prove my point even further, Arizona proved this theory to a tee. Top team in the Pacific Division, they were on a roll. Acquire Hall, it's as if the other 11 forwards and 22 guys forgot to play hockey. AZ is a team I follow, so I've seen a lot of games with Hall. Makes no damn sense to me how much they expect him to carry the offensive load. There's a reason why AZ couldn't score for the life of them this year, they only had one guy doing all of the work.

If Hall comes on the Flames, I think he would love being the 2nd line LW and getting PP1 time. I feel like he'd explode like Kessel did with the Penguins, and be that complimentary piece we need to put ourselves over the top of the rest of the weak Pacific.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Sign Hall. Win Cup. Deal with cap problems later.
I propose going all-in for Hall,,then offer ( big shake-up):
-(C) SMony, (LW) Johnny Hockey, (W) S Bennett, (C) MJanko and (LD) OKyngtn
to Ottawa for,
C/Lw Brady Tkachuk,LW/C Jayce Hawryluk, Ottawa's 'SJS' 1st and Ottawa's 2nd Rd pick 2020, plus Prospects V Abramov, L Brown , D Batherson, 'd' C Jaros (rhs)

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
^^ What the f did I just read.

No way Ottawa is interested in that deal IMO, but also it makes us a worse team in the near term for confusing purpose- why would Hall want to sign on a worse team in the near term when he has clearly stated he wants to win.

If we get Hall we can trade johnny, but only johnny. The target teams should be Buffalo, NJ, and Philly. Make them bid against each other- in Buffalo's case in particular they have an extremely vested interest in improving the squad immediately.

The only trades I make including both Johnny and Monahan are for Barkov or Eichel.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
^^ What the f did I just read.

No way Ottawa is interested in that deal IMO, but also it makes us a worse team in the near term for confusing purpose- why would Hall want to sign on a worse team in the near term when he has clearly stated he wants to win.

If we get Hall we can trade johnny, but only johnny. The target teams should be Buffalo, NJ, and Philly. Make them bid against each other- in Buffalo's case in particular they have an extremely vested interest in improving the squad immediately.

The only trades I make including both Johnny and Monahan are for Barkov or Eichel.
I still don't understand why some would prefer to pay Hall more, in a stagnant cap era, when Johnny is clearly the more productive player, averaging 16 more points per year, over the last 5 years. This is something incredibly unlikely to change as Hall crosses into his 30's. What I find really interesting is that most of the guys pushing the "trade Johnny/sign Hall" narrative, are the same guys that claim Monahan only looks remotely close to being a 1C because of Johnny. So basically what this trash idea boils down to is a worse team, for more money. The only way Johnny moves, is if he's made it clear he will not resign, period. If it's a cap issue, Backlund and Bennett make almost $8 million combined, $6 for Ryan/Bennett.

Reactions: 47 and Nanuuk

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I still don't understand why some would prefer to pay Hall more, in a stagnant cap era, when Johnny is clearly the more productive player, averaging 16 more points per year, over the last 5 years. This is something incredibly unlikely to change as Hall crosses into his 30's. What I find really interesting is that most of the guys pushing the "trade Johnny/sign Hall" narrative, are the same guys that claim Monahan only looks remotely close to being a 1C because of Johnny. So basically what this trash idea boils down to is a worse team, for more money. The only way Johnny moves, is if he's made it clear he will not resign, period. If it's a cap issue, Backlund and Bennett make almost $8 million combined, $6 for Ryan/Bennett.

I take personal offense to this part as I have always been one of the most steadfast Monahan defenders on any hockey forum. Pretty sure whatever OKGs name is still has me blocked over fighting about this for years.

This "trash" idea isn't to trade johnny because hall is able to sign here. The logic behind the idea is this:

1. It has been all but confirmed by numerous media sources that Johnny is probably testing free agency (with the underlying assumption that he wants to be closer to home) at the end of this contract.
2. If 1 is true, Treliving will likely know. He should then consider how to maximize Johnny's value to this club.
3. A couple options exist to get the most roster value of the remaining two seasons on Johnny's contract:
a) keep johnny until trade deadline of his final contract year, try to win. If in position by then, go for it with him on roster, if not, trade for whatever you can get a that deadline (less than you could get earlier on.)
b) trade johnny this offseason in a hockey trade for a player that you hope can produce similarly to him. Personally I don't think it's possible to win this type of trade with Johnny involved.
c) IF you know there is a good chance you can sign a player that also plays LW with no asset cost, you could go hard after that player (Hall) and then wait to trade johnny (a la Sakic) for the best possible future/current player package available among bidding teams.

It's obvious to me that we should take option c.

So the statement isn't: We are trading Johnny because Hall is signing here.
The statement is: we have the option to set the club up for massive success in the future by trading Johnny Gaudreau due to the luck we have of getting a hart winning LW for 'free.'

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Feb 23, 2014
He also said it would be cool to play for the Flames his entire career especially if his good buddy Monahan was along for the ride too.

I think a lot of people are more focusing on Calgary media types, like Francis and Leslie, saying they don’t think he re-signs.

I still will hold out hope he stays.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's par for the course for Francis to stick his neck out and say something just to be heard but when did Ryan Leslie say anything?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we did trade Gaudreau my guess would be like:

Kappo and Lundqvist/First 2020

Something around J. Hughes Or Devils next two firsts unprotected.

Marner for Gaudreau

Sanheim/Konecny + Frost/Myers Or Couturier

Gaudreau for Perunovich + R Thomas

Gaudreau for Rantanen

The guy should get a HUGE contract offer IMO unless he indicates he wants out eventually.

but if we like if we trade Gaudreau with two years left and don’t get some serious assets in return then we deserve to be the middling franchise we’ve always been. The potential trades I’ve seen for him on here are so so bad. People still don’t get how good he really is.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's par for the course for Francis to stick his neck out and say something just to be heard but when did Ryan Leslie say anything?

One of the CP people did a podcast with Francis and Leslie and the later was adamant as well that he would not come back.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
If we did trade Gaudreau my guess would be like:

Kappo and Lundqvist/First 2020

Something around J. Hughes Or Devils next two firsts unprotected.

Marner for Gaudreau

Sanheim/Konecny + Frost/Myers Or Couturier

Gaudreau for Perunovich + R Thomas

Gaudreau for Rantanen

The guy should get a HUGE contract offer IMO unless he indicates he wants out eventually.

but if we like if we trade Gaudreau with two years left and don’t get some serious assets in return then we deserve to be the middling franchise we’ve always been. The potential trades I’ve seen for him on here are so so bad. People still don’t get how good he really is.

Oh man, those returns are kind of all over the place. Do you really think the Flames could get Konecny + Couturier in return for Gaudreau?? Methinks you will be ranting pretty hard in the "Gaudreau traded to...." thread if it ever happens, if you're expecting that kind of return.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Oh man, those returns are kind of all over the place. Do you really think the Flames could get Konecny + Couturier in return for Gaudreau?? Methinks you will be ranting pretty hard in the "Gaudreau traded to...." thread if it ever happens, if you're expecting that kind of return.

no that was Konecny or Sanheim plus either Frost or Myers.

Couturier straight up.

Johnny is one of the best players in the league. Any return for him should reflect that if he isn’t at least offered a contract first. Trading him for peanuts because he doesn’t have enough help around him is crazy imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad