Rumor: Eklund so take for what its worth (re: Hall)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What would NJ offer besides their first this year? Jack Hughes?

Like those are the only two pieces that get the Flames listening. Gaudreau is hated but he is legit like 6th-8th in scoring since he entered the league. He turned Elias "can't shoot" Lindholm into a perennial 30-35 goal guy... If he is trade with two years left on his contract it will be a big deal. Look at what Blake Coleman got...

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Why would the Devils give up 1sts for Gaudreau though? I for one still believe in Jack Hughes but that roster is an absolute mess, even with Gaudreau they likely struggle to make the playoffs without noticeable improvements to their defence, depth and their young forwards taking a step forward.

Also if Gaudreau is gone capitalize on Monahan's value before it drops.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Why would the Devils give up 1sts for Gaudreau though? I for one still believe in Jack Hughes but that roster is an absolute mess, even with Gaudreau they likely struggle to make the playoffs without noticeable improvements to their defence, depth and their young forwards taking a step forward.

Also if Gaudreau is gone capitalize on Monahan's value before it drops.

you are just the classic hyper critical Canadian hockey fan and this statement shows it.

Monahan is a dud. You say this all the time.
Gaudreau isn’t worth a high first.
Capitalize on Monahan’s value now before we trade Gaudreau and people see Sean is useless.

So basically Monahan is only good because Gaudreau but Gaudreau isn’t worth anything in return.

They are literally the highest scoring pairing in the NHL since Johnny started playing... Yet are a dime a dozen, according to you.

you are the classic overly critical Canadian fan that makes playing in places like Calgary an absolute nightmare. Congrats.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
you are just the classic hyper critical Canadian hockey fan and this statement shows it.

Capitalize on Monahan’s value now before we trade Gaudreau and people see Sean is useless.

So basically Monahan is only good because Gaudreau but Gaudreau isn’t worth anything in return.

They are literally the highest scoring pairing in the NHL since Johnny started playing... Yet are a dime a dozen, according to you.

you are the classic overly critical Canadian fan that makes playing in places like Calgary an absolute nightmare. Congrats.

Most pairs don’t play for the better part of 6 strsight seasons...

You could make a reasonable argument they haven’t been all that good since January 2019... that was 18 months ago. Monahan has produced more like a 2nd line scoring centre during that time and yet hasn’t been any more effective in the dzone (borderline trash). Gaudreau has been on and off, though he at least was looking better down the stretch.

Just saying, but isnt it funny that we don’t split up our two most potent weapons... ever? Like I mean we don’t know what Monahan would be without Gaudreau permanently, but the limited sample suggests he produces closer to a 3rd liner at ES, and the flames have very few options that can play effectively with him (Tkachuk is too slow, Dube and mangiapane aren’t skilled enough, Bennett much the same, etc).

He isn’t a total dud, but there are a lot of circumstances that require him to produce. The good news is that the flames have an additional year to see what Monahan is if Gaudreau leaves.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Maybe I'm wrong here but when is the last time a known top 10 pick (as in not before the season or at the TDL was even traded? It's been done once since 2013 (once that year and in 2012 I believe), the pick was traded (the 7th overall pick and Deangelo) for Stepan and Rantaa, at the 2017 entry draft. My point is it doesn't happen often and that the Devils might not be in a position to actually make that trade not that Gaudreau isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Monahan is nothing special without Gaudreau, the numbers have always suggested that and I've watched just about every game he's played in his career. Johnny is special, I didn't want to trade him but I'm willing to if it means finally getting out of no mans land. He could challenge for an art ross if he was in a better situation and on his game.

Why would any player give a shit about my opinion? I don't write Monahan telling him I think he's a dud without Gaudreau, I didn't try and run Troy Brouwer out of town despite knowing it was a horrible contract the second it was announced. I keep my opinions here and I'm under no obligation to be a cheerleader, the fact of the matter is this team has won one playoff series in the last 15 years, why shouldn't I be critical as hell of them? I picked them to make it to the finals last season and they got stomped by a 90 point wildcard team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm like 90% sure Hall ends up here.

I would rather go all in and risk Gaudreau walking in two years than trade him now for a protected 1st and a B prospect. Even if we replace Gaudreau with Hall, we turn from a WC team to a bottom 10 team

One of Gaudreau or Monahan should have been traded last summer if we wanted to shake things up. Retooling is off the table now

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Don't really keep track of prospects arpund the league but CP is in love with Gaudreau for Cozens and I just don't get it. His statline is pretty much identical to Pelletier's

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I wanna keep Johnny so bad. I don’t buy the “playoff choker” narrative anymore tbh, he’s been clutch at every level and even played well in the 2015 playoffs. I think he’s one good playoff run from being in the fans good graces again. Give him 8x9.5, but he’ll likely demand more given what Skinner and Marner got.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wanna keep Johnny so bad. I don’t buy the “playoff choker” narrative anymore tbh, he’s been clutch at every level and even played well in the 2015 playoffs. I think he’s one good playoff run from being in the fans good graces again. Give him 8x9.5, but he’ll likely demand more given what Skinner and Marner got.
Johnny is a play driver. Monahan is a finisher. Lindholm does a bit of both. What that line really needs is another play driver at RW to take some of the pressure off of Johnny. The whole league knows he'll carry the puck into the zone and do a button hook looking to dish the puck out.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hopefully it can happen. Will be on of the greatest UFA signings Calgary has made if not the best one.

I think you sign Hall and worry about signing the rest later. If you can manage to assemble a team with Gaudreau, Hall, Lindholm, and Tkachuk as your wingers you do it. One of Gaudreau/Tkachuk would need to play RW. If you cannot, then you have to shop Johnny G. The cap remaining flat really hurts us though (especially with Brouwer and Stone buyout $'s taking a little bit of the cap, and Lucic), and we still need to sign a serviceable 1B to back up Rittich. Don't think Talbot stays unless he accepts the same amount of money or term. On top of that, we still need to figureout if we are considering re-signing one of Brodie, Gustafsson, or Hamonic as a top 4 D. That, or we just bank on Valimaki/Kylington filling in the #4 spot while we try to figure that out.

Lots of decisions to be made for Brad, arguably the biggest offseason in terms of finding a clear direction for the team, and whether or not the core we currently have should stay intact.

Regardless, Hall should absolutely be priority number 1 come the first day of free agency. Who knows, maybe he takes term over cap $'s because of COVID, one can hope, especially a Flames fan like me.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Don't really keep track of prospects arpund the league but CP is in love with Gaudreau for Cozens and I just don't get it. His statline is pretty much identical to Pelletier's
If there's any truth to it, and we sign Hall, the club wants to compete now. Cozens is at least 2-3 years away from having any sort of impact, so he doesn't really fit the timeline. I think if the Flyers have a poor playoff performance and the organization has reassurance on Patrick's health, it could make sense. I mean maybe we trade our 1st, Flyers 1st and Pelletier for 3rd OA. Then trade 3rd OA and Monahan for Lafreniere.
Basically Gaudreau, Monahan, Pelletier + 2020 1st for Hall, Lafreniere + Patrick

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

The facts are in and that that is not true. Consider how they get split up, its the same as the two best players in the world.
Mcdavid, Draisaitl.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
AS far as Johnny Hockey to Devils rumors I would think at least one of NJD 1's and/or Ty Smith HAS to be included.

Hischier NJD are not trading 7 years of control for 2. Hughes if NJD you don't trade.

Severson could be part of a package but not THEE package. Butcher is ok but he is definatly a secondary and not primary player in trade. Ditto Zacha nice player but not THEE guy in a trade.

Rest of roster are either not great or ufa's in 2021 whom you do not trade Johnny for.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Sign Hall trade Gaudreau smart decision if they can do it. However Hall gonna get paid and he's 28 and will want 7 years you really wanna pay him upwards of 8-9.5 per when he's 33-35? Hell he might get even more then 9.5 per.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Trading Monahan/Gaudreau for a player that you pretty much hope turns into a Monahan/Gaudreau .... I just don’t understand. Fast forward when said players become mediocre third liners and you’ll be writing this trade in threads about “worst trade your team has done in the last decade”. I’m willing to bet anything that Monahan does not get moved in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You do realize that Hall has only scored 30+ goals once in his 10 year career? Prior to his 2017-18 season where he scored 39 goals his best season was 27 goals.
Taylor Hall is not a replacement for Johnny. He's also injury prone.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You do realize that Hall has only scored 30+ goals once in his 10 year career? Prior to his 2017-18 season where he scored 39 goals his best season was 27 goals.
Taylor Hall is not a replacement for Johnny. He's also injury prone.

I am also confused why people are so on board to get Hall. Johnny is a way better player. We need a #1 centre and/or a 1st line young right handed right winger. If we trade Johnny we need to have one of those covered.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I am also confused why people are so on board to get Hall. Johnny is a way better player. We need a #1 centre and/or a 1st line young right handed right winger. If we trade Johnny we need to have one of those covered.

We aren’t getting any of those things for Johnny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad