Rumor: Eklund so take for what its worth (re: Hall)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Everything I've read about Hall, points toward him reveling in being the guy, to the extreme of needing to be the guy. This includes heavy speculation that Hall was moved because he couldn't handle not being the guy, when McDavid was drafted. Hall would be 35 after a 6 year contract. He may kick around chasing a cup, on cheap, short term deals, for a few years after that, but this is the last big one. The fact that you're even throwing around numbers like 6x6, tells me you're not really thinking this through rationally. That's what Hall got paid coming off his entry level.....in 2013. This is 2020, and whether or not I agree with it, 6x6 is a number tossed around for 40-50 point player now a days.

And yes $2 million a year most definitely is a deal breaker for most players.

I think you misread. I said he's coming off a 6x6. I said in my previous post 7x7 vs a 9x7. Few posters general believe Hall will get more than 10 mil, I'm saying whatever the average HFboards posters guess (usually too high), it might make sense if it's 2 mil AAV lower (ie: the 7x7 vs the 9x7).

I also said the 2 mil is likely a deal breaker. I said that if you can trick him into signing a low AAV contract, you have to think about it. This is in contrast to the comments about not touching him with a 10 foot pole.

TL;DR - I agree with you. I'm just throwing in the caveat of, "Never say never".

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think you misread. I said he's coming off a 6x6. I said in my previous post 7x7 vs a 9x7. Few posters general believe Hall will get more than 10 mil, I'm saying whatever the average HFboards posters guess (usually too high), it might make sense if it's 2 mil AAV lower (ie: the 7x7 vs the 9x7).

I also said the 2 mil is likely a deal breaker. I said that if you can trick him into signing a low AAV contract, you have to think about it. This is in contrast to the comments about not touching him with a 10 foot pole.

TL;DR - I agree with you. I'm just throwing in the caveat of, "Never say never".
Sorry, definitely misread but he's getting close to 10. Seguin, Benn, Stone, Wheeler, Marner, even Panarin.....he fits in there somewhere. Hell, even Duchene got 8!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry, definitely misread but he's getting close to 10. Seguin, Benn, Stone, Wheeler, Marner, even Panarin.....he fits in there somewhere. Hell, even Duchene got 8!

Agreed. Also, if he's getting over 8.5 AAV we should be out.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Agreed. Also, if he's getting over 8.5 AAV we should be out.
Agreed. You're getting real close to Lindholm/Hanifin combined, in that neighborhood and those guys have far more of an impact than just Hall. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Blues approach, with quality depth over adding high priced, big name talent.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean, if we can get Hall for no assets and reasonable AAV, you have to consider it.

However, I think adding another 2C akin to the failed Kadri trade would have really rounded out the centre corps of our group and perhaps address our lack of a 1C better than trying to do Monahan+ for a 1C.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I mean, if we can get Hall for no assets and reasonable AAV, you have to consider it.

However, I think adding another 2C akin to the failed Kadri trade would have really rounded out the centre corps of our group and perhaps address our lack of a 1C better than trying to do Monahan+ for a 1C.
I think that’s generally part of the interest with adding Hall - at least it is a significant consideration for me.

Adding Hall (or Dadonov/Hoffman/another top 6 winger) would give us 5 top 6 wingers imo (Gaudreau, Hall, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane). With that it would free up Lindholm to play C.

Monahan/Lindholm is a very solid 1/2 down the middle.

Reactions: Foo Fighter and Fig

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think that’s generally part of the interest with adding Hall - at least it is a significant consideration for me.

Adding Hall (or Dadonov/Hoffman/another top 6 winger) would give us 5 top 6 wingers imo (Gaudreau, Hall, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane). With that it would free up Lindholm to play C.

Monahan/Lindholm is a very solid 1/2 down the middle.

I tend to agree. Even if we can't get Hall I'd still love another legit scoring winger. Even if it's not Hall, I still think this team lacks a pure shooter, but Dadonov in a Hudler-esque role wouldn't go wrong either.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Same. Can't have the highest paid player on the team be a guy who only plays 3/4 of the season.

This is such a myth about Hall being injured all the time.

Last 5 seasons:

77/82 (on pace for)
33/82
76/82
72/82
82/82

340 out of 410 games = 83% but most of that was one season which could happen to anybody.

In the other 4 season he played 94% of the games.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is such a myth about Hall being injured all the time.

Last 5 seasons:

77/82 (on pace for)
33/82
76/82
72/82
82/82

340 out of 410 games = 83% but most of that was one season which could happen to anybody.

In the other 4 season he played 94% of the games.

For his entire career, he's played 81% of the games his team has played.

That's pretty close to 3/4.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
For his entire career, he's played 81% of the games his team has played.

That's pretty close to 3/4.

It's "pretty close" I guess, but more than 3/4 by 6%.

It also spins a false narrative, because the poster said "for a guy who only plays 3/4 of the season".

Most seasons he plays much more than that, closer to 90%+ but he had a couple seasons early in his career where missed a lot of games and only one in the last five seasons where he missed significant time.

People spin the narrative like whoever signs Hall will only get 3/4 of a season out of him, where recent history tells us it will more likely be 9/10 which isn't bad at all.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's "pretty close" I guess, but more than 3/4 by 6%.

It also spins a false narrative, because the poster said "for a guy who only plays 3/4 of the season".

Most seasons he plays much more than that, closer to 90%+ but he had a couple seasons early in his career where missed a lot of games and only one in the last five seasons where he missed significant time.

People spin the narrative like whoever signs Hall will only get 3/4 of a season out of him, where recent history tells us it will more likely be 9/10 which isn't bad at all.

How else do you try to lie to Hall's face and attempt to lower the AAV on his next contract?

Reactions: BurnEmUp

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How else do you try to lie to Hall's face and attempt to lower the AAV on his next contract?

As a devils fan, I would have 0 interest in signing him. Talented guy, but impossible to work into any system and has awful puck management

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As a devils fan, I would have 0 interest in signing him. Talented guy, but impossible to work into any system and has awful puck management

I was being tongue and cheek, but you are intriguing me with this comment.

How is it that he is impossible to work within a system? I'd imagine it's possible to work a merc line into a system that wreaks havoc on the other team. Kinda like like working in an unpredictable piece into a system for players like Eric Karlsson?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I was being tongue and cheek, but you are intriguing me with this comment.

How is it that he is impossible to work within a system? I'd imagine it's possible to work a merc line into a system that wreaks havoc on the other team. Kinda like like working in an unpredictable piece into a system for players like Eric Karlsson?

He's just extremely erratic and hectic. Gives the puck away in some of the worst areas, makes awful line changes, holds onto the puck too long, and is completely lost in his own zone like I've never seen before. It's incredibly hard to have an actual team first system around his play.

But the guy sure has talent and plays his butt off.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad