Speculation: Eklund (DEBUNKED): Everything Is On Fire (Scott out, Yeo out, El Presidente Chuckles, Briere GM)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hey, on the subject of alumni retirement homes:

Now, I will not hear a word against Sami, he's badass, but who did we hire? A Flyer, and the grandson of a Flyer. I couldn't be less surprised if I was consulted on the decision.
Kapanen, I would imagine, is well-connected in Finland, there wouldn’t be anything wrong to say if it weren’t for the ex-Flyer thing. He was in operations, and then tried coaching, I’m not sure if he or his brother still are involved in KalPa. The Flyers actually had a good presence in Finland years ago but that went away when Holmgren took over, and they didn’t even have a scout there for years until recently, which was pretty stupid of anyone to allow to happen since Finland started booming in talent again. The Flyers were slow to react when it happened in Sweden too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of those moves weren't terrible... to start. The problem the Flyers have had since the Lavi firing is that they don't know when to cut bait, even to the point of making things worse by moving the chess pieces around.

Berube paid his dues, Hakstol had a good reputation and long track record at the college level, Lombardi and Hextall were part of a management team that built a two time Cup winner not that long ago. Sure, having connections to the Flyers are why they ended up with the Flyers, but that, on the surface, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Flyers also did some egregiously stupid things, too. Lappy was a terrible assistant coach with the big club, but they kept him in the organization, probably with the intent of bringing him back to the Flyers. Fletcher was a terrible hire as a GM, compounded by his bringing along a terrible coach in Mike Yeo. Fletcher is still here and it sounds like they'd keep Yeo in some capacity of he wants to stay. These actions are unforgivable. They kept AV too long, when it was clear he wasn't the guy to continue with the group of players; allowing him to bring Therrien along was also a massive red flag.

Briere, Kapanen, Shero... all of these hires could fall anywhere on the scale of great to awful. The hires, themselves, aren't the problem, though if Briere is named GM with his lack of management experience, then that will set alarm bells off. Where these moves are measured is what the Flyers will do if any prove incompetent. THAT is where the Flyers are continuing to fail the fans.
The players promoted from LHV this season have had a higher success rate, albeit in SSS cameos, than any group I can remember, which suggests there's been an upgrade in preparation. Willman (88 AHL games) and Hodgson (46 AHL games), two ECHL player with a year or less of AHL play, held their own, Hogberg (5th rd), Zamula (UDFA), haven't looked out of place. York certainly wasn't hurt by his AHL stint. Ratcliffe has improved. Lappy as HC has to get some credit.

Compare to Vorobyev, Twarynski, Kase and Bunnaman, who had a lot of AHL seasoning.

Yeo is not a "terrible HC," made the playoffs 3 of 5 years in Minn, got to the 2nd rd twice, took Stl to the playoffs as a mid-season hire, got them to 94 points the next season. The slow start that got him fired was more about goalies, Binnington came up and made Berube look smart. He's not a great HC, but overall his performance is about average, he may not be a great Xs and Os guy, but he's a good communicator and wasn't a bad choice to coach the kids to finish out a clusterf---k season.

AV was a similar hire to Lavi, "name" HC with SC experience. "Bias for action" hiring. Once hired, his contract made him hard to fire.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The players promoted from LHV this season have had a higher success rate, albeit in SSS cameos, than any group I can remember, which suggests there's been an upgrade in preparation. Willman (88 AHL games) and Hodgson (46 AHL games), two ECHL player with a year or less of AHL play, held their own, Hogberg (5th rd), Zamula (UDFA), haven't looked out of place. York certainly wasn't hurt by his AHL stint. Ratcliffe has improved. Lappy as HC has to get some credit.

Compare to Vorobyev, Twarynski, Kase and Bunnaman, who had a lot of AHL seasoning.

Yeo is not a "terrible HC," made the playoffs 3 of 5 years in Minn, got to the 2nd rd twice, took Stl to the playoffs as a mid-season hire, got them to 94 points the next season. The slow start that got him fired was more about goalies, Binnington came up and made Berube look smart. He's not a great HC, but overall his performance is about average, he may not be a great Xs and Os guy, but he's a good communicator and wasn't a bad choice to coach the kids to finish out a clusterf---k season.

AV was a similar hire to Lavi, "name" HC with SC experience. "Bias for action" hiring. Once hired, his contract made him hard to fire.
Somehow, I think your tune will change regarding Yeo and Lappy when they're no longer a part of the organization. :laugh:

Sadly, that could be years away for both. :help:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Somehow, I think your tune will change regarding Yeo and Lappy when they're no longer a part of the organization. :laugh:

Doubtful. I've given Hextall credit where credit is due (his later round picks are starting to arrive, though far slower than anyone expected). I don't think Lappy and Yeo are wonderful, but I also think they get trashed simply b/c that's what people do on message boards, exaggerate for good or evil.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Look at how we've gone from "coaching doesn't matter" when Hakstol was around, to suddenly "Coaching is the most important thing in the universe and AV was running the show definitely not Fletcher please be kind to Fletcher"

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

In ‘84-85, the Flyers brought in three rookies; made a line of them and it was excellent-Peter Zezel, Rick Tocchet and Derek Smith. Of course at that time they had an innovative coach.
This is the reason that the young guys need such a coach right now. AV would never have given Cates, Attard and the others a shot. He never would have watched their games prior to being called up. The next hire‘s ability to nurture young players is going to be of the utmost importance. It’s why the rumors of hiring Q bugs me. He’ll want quick fixes and veterans like AV did.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why I think the HC hire will tell us what they really think.

Someone who's more development oriented says they're not going to hit the FA market in a big way or trade prospects, a Dino HC with a "win now" mandate is more likely to result in short-sighted moves.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I still think Hextall drafted just fine. Add in someone like Farabee to that list and I think he did well. Even with Myers flaming out, he was a UDFA so that's another feather for Hexy I think.

I will *only* admit that his draft picks didn't end up as good as I had hoped, but I won't ever say he did a bad job. The biggest knock against him was keeping Hakstol - but other than that, he had a clear plan, executed it, didn't lose trades, and was canned before I believe he could really get into adding to the pro roster in the way he wanted.
Agree with this and Striiker’s post. Hexy had a great plan, pulled off some thievery trades, made some solid drafts too. His blind spot was Hakstol. His undoing was not being a lackey for the Ancient Bullies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t believe shit until I see a social security card
Oh, well here:

57d60eba12ddf.image.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe it should have had a stipulation that he would actually be a plus player.

Well, Ghost was -23, Risto was -9, obviously Fletcher got the right player.

JVR is going to be an interesting trade proposition.
xGF last three years, 56.35%, 52.65%, 47.36%, xGFrel +7.33, +3.79, +2.25
G/60: 1.14, 0.57, 0.86, PP/60: 2.27, 2.11, 1.60
PP ixG/60: 2.29, 2.69, 2.78

He's slipped from his peak years, but how much is decline, and how much playing for a bad team.
Given he only has one year left on his deal, he'd be a good fit for a PO team as a 3rd line forward, and PP front net guy.
Now how much do you pay that guy in FA? $5M?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

He's slipped from his peak years, but how much is decline, and how much playing for a bad team.
Given he only has one year left on his deal, he'd be a good fit for a PO team as a 3rd line forward, and PP front net guy.
Risto got babied the entire year. We have two babies too many on D. Basically we need people better at their jobs across the board.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You are perfectly aware that comparing +/- across teams is a useless endeavor.

So you're obviously trying to be deceptive on purpose. When your Fletcher defense has to be built in dishonesty, it's bad out the gate.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hagel got traded for 2 first rounders, including a 2023 first. Plays 12 min a game on what May be a first round exit as a 3 LW.

Giroux plays top line minutes. Quoted as having another coach out there. Bet your ass he will push that team to beat the caps. Got a possible 2025 1st.

That’s some bullshit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are perfectly aware that comparing +/- across teams is a useless endeavor.

So you're obviously trying to be deceptive on purpose. When your Fletcher defense has to be built in dishonesty, it's bad out the gate.
I was making fun of people complaining about Farabee's +/-.
You take yourself way too seriously.

Hagel got traded for 2 first rounders, including a 2023 first. Plays 12 min a game on what May be a first round exit as a 3 LW.

Giroux plays top line minutes. Quoted as having another coach out there. Bet your ass he will push that team to beat the caps. Got a possible 2025 1st.

That’s some bullshit.
Not comparable, Hagel is 23, makes $1M, and has 3? cost controlled seasons left.
Still an overpay, but TB's window is closing and they had no cap room to add players.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad