Speculation: Eklund (DEBUNKED): Everything Is On Fire (Scott out, Yeo out, El Presidente Chuckles, Briere GM)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hey, on the subject of alumni retirement homes:

Now, I will not hear a word against Sami, he's badass, but who did we hire? A Flyer, and the grandson of a Flyer. I couldn't be less surprised if I was consulted on the decision.
What? If you were consulted I'd be more shocked than when the Eagles won the super bowl. You never played for the Flyers. You have a less than zero chance of holding a job

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How bout the college kid?
Played four years of college hockey, I suspect he's a glorified intern until he proves he's competent.
I don't think Hockey teams have scouting intern positions, it's a learn on the job situation.
He'll write up reports on players, more senior people will cross check, and if he's full of shit he'll soon be gone.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How bout the college kid?

Directly from his linkedin:

About​

I am currently a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Economics and minoring in Finance. I am a member of the Men’s Ice Hockey Team at Connecticut College and a current captain.

Im sure the Econ major is perfectly poised to be an amateur scout, Hatman.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

About​

I am currently a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Economics and minoring in Finance. I am a member of the Men’s Ice Hockey Team at Connecticut College and a current captain.

He undoubtedly does NOT wear tweed hats

Reactions: Starat327

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

About​

I bet his resume that he sent to the Flyers was just the following:

• Grandson Of Fred Shero
  • My Dad Worked With Chuck

Nothing more, nothing less.

They couldn't hire him quick enough. What a nice graduation present.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

About​

Means if he's ever GM material, he'll understand the salary cap better than Holmgren.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I bet his resume that he sent to the Flyers was just the following:

Nothing more, nothing less.

They couldn't hire him quick enough. What a nice graduation present.
hes the captain and has 3 points in 20 ish games. He undoubtedly is good at hockey and thus can gauge who else is good at hockey, too.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
hes the captain and has 3 points in 20 ish games. He undoubtedly is good at hockey and thus can gauge who else is good at hockey, too.
Fletcher, Holmgren, and Clarke:

dum-pick-em.gif

Edit: I wouldn't mind if Clarke was in the middle if you catch my drift.

P.S. Shout out to the Official Team Automobile of the Las Vegas Desert Ducks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
History shows that in all sports, star players rarely make good scouts or HCs.
They often struggle to understand how mere mortals play the game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Happy with the Kapanen hire, the Shero kid? Well, I guess time will tell but if last name wasn’t Shero does he even get an interview?
Everyone who got their job through connections (family, college, former co-wokers) please resign b/c you know someone else should have your job due to merit.

There'd be an awful lot of unemployed people posting here in that case.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Everyone who got their job through connections (family, college, former co-wokers) please resign b/c you know someone else should have your job due to merit.

So you agree with me, got it.

BTW, I didn’t say he was a bad hire, but that time would tell.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Are the Flyers hiring competent people thanks to this nepotism? Would the results bear that out to make this a defensible practice?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Let’s see how hiring by personal connection has worked out for the Flyers over the last decade
Berube: long time Flyer player & assistant coach
Hextall: long association with the franchise
Hak: coached Hexy’s kid
Gord Murphy: Hexy’s old teammate
Lappy: former Flyer
Lombardi: Hextall’s old boss
Fletcher: long time friend of Clarke
Barber: long association with the franchise
Yeo: previously worked for Fletcher
Briere: former Flyer

Yeah, nepotism has worked out just dandy for this team. Again, I like Kapanen and I’m willing to give Briere a shot too, but the pattern is questionable to say the least.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Let’s see how hiring by personal connection has worked out for the Flyers over the last decade
Berube: long time Flyer player & assistant coach
Hextall: long association with the franchise
Hak: coached Hexy’s kid
Gord Murphy: Hexy’s old teammate
Lappy: former Flyer
Lombardi: Hextall’s old boss
Fletcher: long time friend of Clarke
Barber: long association with the franchise
Yeo: previously worked for Fletcher
Briere: former Flyer

Yeah, nepotism has worked out just dandy for this team. Again, I like Kapanen and I’m willing to give Briere a shot too, but the pattern is questionable to say the least.
Some of those moves weren't terrible... to start. The problem the Flyers have had since the Lavi firing is that they don't know when to cut bait, even to the point of making things worse by moving the chess pieces around.

Berube paid his dues, Hakstol had a good reputation and long track record at the college level, Lombardi and Hextall were part of a management team that built a two time Cup winner not that long ago. Sure, having connections to the Flyers are why they ended up with the Flyers, but that, on the surface, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The Flyers also did some egregiously stupid things, too. Lappy was a terrible assistant coach with the big club, but they kept him in the organization, probably with the intent of bringing him back to the Flyers. Fletcher was a terrible hire as a GM, compounded by his bringing along a terrible coach in Mike Yeo. Fletcher is still here and it sounds like they'd keep Yeo in some capacity of he wants to stay. These actions are unforgivable. They kept AV too long, when it was clear he wasn't the guy to continue with the group of players; allowing him to bring Therrien along was also a massive red flag.

Briere, Kapanen, Shero... all of these hires could fall anywhere on the scale of great to awful. The hires, themselves, aren't the problem, though if Briere is named GM with his lack of management experience, then that will set alarm bells off. Where these moves are measured is what the Flyers will do if any prove incompetent. THAT is where the Flyers are continuing to fail the fans.

Reactions: BiggE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad