Injury Report: EK65

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
There truly is nothing more dissatisfying to me than tomato soupy. Thanks for the hearty, chunky chuckle. :laugh:
Soupy was expected to leave for anyone who lived thru when Belfour got traded to the Sharks then faked an injury so he didn't have to play for them, then left to sign with Dallas for what I heard was less money. :(

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, Campbell never gave the team or fans false hope about re-signing. Usually said the cliche shit like "I like it here. We'll just see how it goes", but never said once he wanted to re-sign. Everyone could read between the lines and knew Campbell was going to sign with the highest bidder.

Belfour, on the other hand, would tell the media how he was all about San Jose and that he wanted to re-sign. He then not only bailed as soon as fa hit, but he left for their biggest division rival at the time.

Never really understood why some booed Campbell, but Belfour deserved every single one of his (plus a good handful more of Nolan running his ass)

Reactions: BigDmitriy

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
Yeah, Campbell never gave the team or fans false hope about re-signing. Usually said the cliche **** like "I like it here. We'll just see how it goes", but never said once he wanted to re-sign. Everyone could read between the lines and knew Campbell was going to sign with the highest bidder.

Belfour, on the other hand, would tell the media how he was all about San Jose and that he wanted to re-sign. He then not only bailed as soon as fa hit, but he left for their biggest division rival at the time.

Never really understood why some booed Campbell, but Belfour deserved every single one of his (plus a good handful more of Nolan running his ass)
I never felt like the Campbell boos were that bad. I can understand the sentiment (it's like the Tavares sentiment from this summer), but everyone knew he was going to look at all his options. You never got the sense like you did with, say, Evander Kane, that the guy truly loved the area and was eager to be back. Belfour's boos were lusty and heartfelt and, as you say, well deserved.

If he leaves, I can see Karlsson getting the Campbell boos but not the Belfour ones.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I never felt like the Campbell boos were that bad. I can understand the sentiment (it's like the Tavares sentiment from this summer), but everyone knew he was going to look at all his options. Belfour's boos were lusty and heartfelt and, as you say, well deserved.

If he leaves, I can see Karlsson getting the Campbell boos but not the Belfour ones.
I think the quality of Karlsson's boos will be driven by what team he goes to and for how much money? If he goes to a division rival or to a team which offers him less than was SJ was, I think there is a good chance he gets booed pretty lustily.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I know it would be nice to get some rust off EK65 before the playoffs but if he gets re-re-injured during the last regular season game the management, coaching and training staff will get so much crap. May be better just to let him rest another game till the playoffs and then start him there.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, Campbell never gave the team or fans false hope about re-signing. Usually said the cliche **** like "I like it here. We'll just see how it goes", but never said once he wanted to re-sign. Everyone could read between the lines and knew Campbell was going to sign with the highest bidder.

A lot of people felt he took the playoffs easy because he didnt want to risk injury before FA, that Dallas series was rough

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know it would be nice to get some rust off EK65 before the playoffs but if he gets re-re-injured during the last regular season game the management, coaching and training staff will get so much crap. May be better just to let him rest another game till the playoffs and then start him there.

This is my thinking also. The sharks staff are in a lose lose situation here.

He come back for 1 of the last 2 games and he gets hurt again, they should of held him out for longer it was stupid to play him in meaningless games.

They hold him out for the remainder of the seas9n and he comes back really rusty it will be they shouldn't of waited till the playoffs to bring him back.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is my thinking also. The sharks staff are in a lose lose situation here.

He come back for 1 of the last 2 games and he gets hurt again, they should of held him out for longer it was stupid to play him in meaningless games.

They hold him out for the remainder of the seas9n and he comes back really rusty it will be they shouldn't of waited till the playoffs to bring him back.
Yeah but I think the anger directed at them would be lesser if he starts in the playoffs. But either way, its a lose-lose.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Anger everywhere. Play him. Dont play him. If he does not sign with Sharks, we lost players and draft picks for nothing considering he played a 1/3 of the season.
He played 52 games.

I do think that for a lot of folks unless we win the SC OR re-sign EK65 this season will feel like a disappointment. Right when EK65 was starting to play his best, he got injured. Then the season ended with the worst of slumps that we have had in a long time.

I feel cheated out of a good season.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018

I'm there with you. I said it elsewhere but it bears repeating - of all the years of Sharks fandom, this year I had the highest expectations and level of excitement I've ever had, but now the season is ending with some of the lowest levels of complete disinterest and cynicism. At one point, everything was clicking. Now, nothing is going right.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
He played 52 games.

I do think that for a lot of folks unless we win the SC OR re-sign EK65 this season will feel like a disappointment. Right when EK65 was starting to play his best, he got injured. Then the season ended with the worst of slumps that we have had in a long time.

Wow 52 games?? Didnt seem like that many LOL - but yes, I feel cheated too.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Anger everywhere. Play him. Dont play him. If he does not sign with Sharks, we lost players and draft picks for nothing considering he played a 1/3 of the season.

We lost players that people wanted gone and thought there was no way to get rid of them. I'd be salty about losing Balcers for nothing but the rest makes room for everything DW has to do this offseason.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Imo if hes ready to go for the last game of the season you let him go. If he gets hurt, he just as easily could have gotten hurt in game 1. His actual health should be the determining factor on when he comes back imo.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Imo if hes ready to go for the last game of the season you let him go. If he gets hurt, he just as easily could have gotten hurt in game 1. His actual health should be the determining factor on when he comes back imo.

My point is that if he does get hurt in the last regular season game, the staff will forever be questioned if they rushed him back too soon before the playoffs. With all the focus on the post-season, another couple of days rest cannot hurt.

Common sense dictates that what you say is true. But at the same time, we are talking about a star player who got rushed back and re-aggravated his injury. There is a lot more to gain by waiting till the 1st playoff game and a lot more to lose by starting him in the last regular season game.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Personally I'd prefer him to be re-injured during the last game of the season rather than a playoff game. Better to be left short-handed in a meaningless game than a playoff game that actually matters.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
My point is that if he does get hurt in the last regular season game, the staff will forever be questioned if they rushed him back too soon before the playoffs. With all the focus on the post-season, another couple of days rest cannot hurt.

Common sense dictates that what you say is true. But at the same time, we are talking about a star player who got rushed back and re-aggravated his injury. There is a lot more to gain by waiting till the 1st playoff game and a lot more to lose by starting him in the last regular season game.

Karlsson and the club seem to keep saying it was a separate (but similar) injury. Though, this could just be the typical hockey club being misleading about an injury.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

I dont think the staff really cares if they'll be questioned or heavily criticized. PDB knows hes going to get heavily criticized everytime he trots Michael freaking Haley out there, yet he is in tonight while Donskoi is a healthy scratch.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I dont think the staff really cares if they'll be questioned or heavily criticized. PDB knows hes going to get heavily criticized everytime he trots Michael freaking Haley out there, yet he is in tonight while Donskoi is a healthy scratch.
The difference between icing Haley and re-aggravating EK65's injury is pretty big.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Agreed. But I just honestly dont feel like fear of criticism will or should impact their decision. I certainly could be wrong though, just my opinion.
They didnt the last time and look what happened when EK65 re-injured himself.

If he was coming back from his injury the 1st time, I dont think it would have mattered as much. But this would be the 2nd time so they may just play it a little 'safe'.

LA Shark

Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
They didnt the last time and look what happened when EK65 re-injured himself.

If he was coming back from his injury the 1st time, I dont think it would have mattered as much. But this would be the 2nd time so they may just play it a little 'safe'.
Well the first time they seemed to be outright reckless with his handling. I'm in no way advocating rushing him back just to get a tune up game in. I'm just saying if hes already a full participant in practice, the doctors say hes ready to go, and EK himself says hes ready to go, you shouldn't let fear of criticism effect your decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad