Eichel vs Laine

• Jack Eichel

Votes: 125 70.6%
  • Patrick Laine

Votes: 52 29.4%

• Total voters

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I think a good way to compare this is to look back to 1989 when "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" came out. I mean this could totally be a Picture of Echel and Laine, if Laine dyed his hair dark brown: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096928/mediaviewer/rm4041424384 Somebody with some Photoshop skill could probably find similar photos of Eichel and Laine and put them side by side for comparison...

Now in 1989 everybody thought that Bill (Eichel) would be the guy becomming the big star, while Ted (Laine) wouldn't do nearly as good. Now almost 30 years later Bill has only managed to do one mediocre sequel, while Ted has gone on to make classics like Point Break, Speed and the Matrix. I Think Eichel and Laine will end up pretty much exactly like that....

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Hmm

Eichel even as a Jet fan, he is a center and is pretty much by himself in Buffalo, must say Tim Murray drafted kinda bad with all his picks... No real homeruns besides Eichel.
Only thing that would change my mind, is if Laine is signed to a steal contract.
Bonus with Eichel, we didn´t need Maurice bad coaching :P

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think a good way to compare this is to look back to 1989 when "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" came out.

Now in 1989 everybody thought that Bill (Eichel) would be the guy becomming the big star, while Ted (Laine) wouldn't do nearly as good. Now almost 30 years later Bill has only managed to do one mediocre sequel, while Ted has gone on to make classics like Point Break, Speed and the Matrix. I Think Eichel and Laine will end up pretty much exactly like that....

:laugh: Sounds like a legit way to compare NHL players. Hilarious analysis.

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Right now it may be Eichel. In the future only way for Eichel to be better, is that Laine somehow manages to bust.
There is no sense to make decisions only on recency bias, so it's Laine AINEC. Eichel does not have any special generational skills like Laine, though he is very good overall.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Right now it may be Eichel. In the future only way for Eichel to be better, is that Laine somehow manages to bust.
There is no sense to make decisions only on recency bias, so it's Laine AINEC. Eichel does not have any special generational skills like Laine, though he is very good overall.

Comparing any player to Jack Eichel and using AINEC is just plain wrong. I don't mean or want to come off as an ass, because everyone is entitled to an opinion, but Eichel is an unreal talent. I wouldn't even say Mcdaid>Eichel AINEC, let alone Patrick Laine.

Laine is not generational, hell I don't even know if we for sure have a generational player other than Sid in the league.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Laine because his ceiling is too much to surpass.

Nope. We don't know his or anybody's actual ceiling. Give me one stat to measure a persons ceiling? I have heard you going on about Laine being too much to surpass before, I would love to hear the numbers behind that opinion...

Reactions: DenOnde

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Nope. We don't know his or anybody's actual ceiling. Give me one stat to measure a persons ceiling? I have heard you going on about Laine being too much to surpass before, I would love to hear the numbers behind that opinion...

First of all i like to say that i'm not a number or stats guy. I like to watch games with my own eyes and make my own option because numbers doesn't tell the quality of the situations.

Of course we don't know his actual ceiling. We can take a look to his performance at World Cup at age of 18 and he beats absolutely every player his age. Also all time best 18-year old rookie from Europe in NHL. I think those thinks are more than enough to tell that he has ceiling to be best goalscorer ever from Europe. When we talk about ceiling, it's always a prediction. But if we have question who will you take going forward, then we should predict their ceiling and what kind of players they are five years from now.

You can hate Laine as much as you want, but that doesn't change my option about him.

Reactions: kelsier

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I pick player who have 71 points on his first 80 games as a younger player. Other had 55 in his first 80 games in the NHL. Laines offensive production is almost 30% better in the same sample size. Cant make any serious argument for that gap in production.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I pick player who have 71 points on his first 80 games as a younger player. Other had 55 in his first 80 games in the NHL. Laines offensive production is almost 30% better in the same sample size. Cant make any serious argument for that gap in production.
I feel dirty even defending Eichel but the gap in production is at least in part because of talent around him. Give Eichel a Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler or even Nik Ehlers and I think you’d see a much closer race in the numbers.

For me, one guy makes his linemates more dangerous while the other guy is more reliant on having others create for him... I’ll always take the guy who makes others better.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I feel dirty even defending Eichel but the gap in production is at least in part because of talent around him. Give Eichel a Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler or even Nik Ehlers and I think you’d see a much closer race in the numbers.

For me, one guy makes his linemates more dangerous while the other guy is more reliant on having others create for him... I’ll always take the guy who makes others better.
Reasonable post. I think Laine can drive his line when he grows up on his long body. These guys are so young yet. When Laine is 25 if he still relies on his teammates only then I give this to Eichel.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Linemates

Eichel's better

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty confident in saying Eichel today, but I'm not sure it stays that way. Laine has a lot of areas he can better himself in, should he become well rounded and improve his acceleration further to compete for those pucks I think he can become an incredibly dominant hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad