Eichel vs Laine

• Jack Eichel

Votes: 125 70.6%
  • Patrick Laine

Votes: 52 29.4%

• Total voters

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Based on what stats exactly? Eichel has two 56-57 point seasons so far and Laine started with a 64 point one. Both would likely have scored more already last season without their injuries. It's for sure realistic for Eichel to score 65-70 in 82, but Laine would have to regress to only do 55-60.

1) He is due to regress because that entire line rode a very high on-ice sh%.
BUT 2) He is due to get better as he develops so his better play should even out his point totals.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think Eichel is maybe better right now, but Laine will have the better "career".
Recall that position shouldn't factor into overall career, even if it affects value. Consider Ovechkin vs Malkin career. Most would take Ovi even though he's not a centre.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Although the box score might not show it....Kane is hurting Eichel by being on the same line with stupid shots and beyond awful penalties that kill attacks. Eichel has hardly even got to shoot this year because Kane just fires it all the time.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Based on what stats exactly? Eichel has two 56-57 point seasons so far and Laine started with a 64 point one. Both would likely have scored more already last season without their injuries. It's for sure realistic for Eichel to score 65-70 in 82, but Laine would have to regress to only do 55-60.
:huh:

Eichel had a 57 point last season in just 61 games and playing off a high ankle sprain. Counting this and last season Eichel is at 66 points in 68 games. So saying Eichel "may" be a 65-70 point scorer is laughable. He'll finish with over a ppg this season and will be a ppg+ player his entire prime (next 7 years)

Reactions: Kyndig

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Two different players.

One's a finisher, one's a playmaker.

I'd like to see them play together!

So here's my proposal, Buffalo robs Vancouver by trading Reinhart for Tanev.

Tanev being the most talked about and regarded player on the HF Boards, seduces Winnipeg, and Buffalo then moves him to The Jets for Laine!

:vhappy:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think Eichel is maybe better right now, but Laine will have the better "career".
Recall that position shouldn't factor into overall career, even if it affects value. Consider Ovechkin vs Malkin career. Most would take Ovi even though he's not a centre.

I don't believe Laine will be better than Eichel, and I don't know many people picking Ovie over Malkin.

Who knows though, all great talents

Mar 26, 2010
Have to go with the Center. More valuable.

1 trick pony winger is not more important.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
If people expect laine to habe already peaked...lol.

He is figuring stuff out for now and he is not playing with scheifele. He is showing good underlying numbers (sustainable too). He has hit many posts already. He could still have a similar season as matthews last year. The whole jets team have to figure out some stuff.

Laine is a guy that needs just one shot and so far he is shooting at a good pace (except on pp) the guy will figure it out and have some crazy streaks this season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think you’re mistaken here.. I’d take Malkin’s career over Ovechkin. Premium position with a Conn Smythe and 3 cups? It’s not even close for me.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Thing is Eichel is an Elite PlayDriver who can pretty much do it all Offensively, Laine has allot of flashy tools(IQ, Strength, Hands, etc.) as well but highly lacks agility and acceleration which are things you need to generate Offence, that being said Laine is a pure Finisher which makes up for that fact... But unfortunately when you have a Finisher you need someone capable of starting and driving a play for them. Eichel is playing a more valuable position and can do it all consistently, Laine is playing a common position but with a certain tools that make him just as rare. Eichel is better(this could be changed over time though) but I think it's truly up in air who will have a better career because if Laine plays with Scheifele/Ehlers for the rest of his career I think it's him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine. He's had a slow start but he'll come out guns blazing rather sooner than later. Eichel's numbers do not come close when comparing rookie seasons and so far there's little sample size of sophomore year, thus it's too early to compare these.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Comparing a winger vs a center seems a bit odd, but Eichel

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Given similar caliber players, you take the center over the winger every single time. Add in that I think Jack is better than Laine makes it an easy decision.

Laine. He's had a slow start but he'll come out guns blazing rather sooner than later. Eichel's numbers do not come close when comparing rookie seasons and so far there's little sample size of sophomore year, thus it's too early to compare these.

Eichel scored 57 points in 61 games last season but that’s a “little sample size” come on dude.

Buffalo is straight garbage but Eichel is scoring like a superstar.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
:huh:

Eichel had a 57 point last season in just 61 games and playing off a high ankle sprain. Counting this and last season Eichel is at 66 points in 68 games. So saying Eichel "may" be a 65-70 point scorer is laughable. He'll finish with over a ppg this season and will be a ppg+ player his entire prime (next 7 years)
You want bet on that?

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Given similar caliber players, you take the center over the winger every single time. Add in that I think Jack is better than Laine makes it an easy decision.

Eichel scored 57 points in 61 games last season but that’s a “little sample size” come on dude.

Buffalo is straight garbage but Eichel is scoring like a superstar.

Laine had 60 or 61 points and 30+ goals (think it was 32) in 61 games in his rookie season tho ^^

Anyway on topic eichel is probably better overall player altho Laine seems off so far in his overall play this season. So far i cant tell if he actually inproved over summer :/

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There are few players Laine crushes in advanced stats but Eichel's one of them.

Were you aware of the fact that Laine scored 59 points in his first 61 games last season?

Reactions: 1OApick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad