Votes: 125 70.6%
  • Patrick Laine

Votes: 52 29.4%

• Total voters

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Eichel for both.

Talent is similar but the position makes the decisions easier.

I also feel that Eichel is less reliant on his line mates for success and is the obvious driver of his line.

Laine could be that one day, but as it stands today I don't think you can throw him on any line and he'll carry it.

Both should be top 15 players

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Looking at the only comparative season available, this is Laine easily. I don't understand why it wouldn't be.

Laine "struggling" right now still has 4 points in 6 games with excellent underlying numbers. Eichel is starting his +3 season.

Reactions: 1OApick

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I prefer Eichel's more diverse skillset. He may not be absolutely elite the way Laine is at shooting, but he's better than Laine at every single thing aside from shooting.

Not an half bad shooter himself, I might add.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Laine. Will finish his career as one of the best goal scorers ever.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
They are two different stylistic players.

I believe Eichel is the better all around player from the limited buffalo games that I have watched last season as he drives the play better imo and was almost at a ppg.

Laine based on his first season has shown that he should be one of the better snipers from his generation.

ended up going with Eichel as the better all around player right now but I do think that in the future laine has a chance to have the better career.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Laine has a great shot, but Eichel is a guy you build a team around, Laine is a complimentary piece

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Laine can't drive the play, is below average at defense, looks like he lost a step in the off season, and is heavily dependent on 55 for his stat line. This is Jack, ainec.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Laine looks incredibly underwhelming when he's not on Scheifele's line, and the stats back this up entirely.

Eichel can be a good 65-70 point player whereas Laine will around a 55-60 point player.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Laine looks incredibly underwhelming when he's not on Scheifele's line, and the stats back this up entirely.

Eichel can be a good 65-70 point player whereas Laine will around a 55-60 point player.
Laine scored 64p last season... he peaked as an 18-year old rookie?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Laine scored 64p last season... he peaked as a 18-year old rookie?
He rode extremely high percentages on the wing of a Center who had what was most likely a career year (rode some crazy percentages as well) to go along with horrible underlying stats.

Laine looks to be surrendering his offense to play the correct way this year, and good for him for doing so. 55-60 points is still a damn good top-line winger in this league.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This would be a tough one for Leafs fans.

On one hand, you all like to make Laine seem like hot trash compared to goldenboy Matthews, but on the other hand, you all like to make Eichel seem like hot trash compared to goldenboy Matthews.

:nod:

Reactions: randomhockeyfan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel, plays the more valuable position and is more explosive allowing him to impose his will on games more.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Based on what stats exactly? Eichel has two 56-57 point seasons so far and Laine started with a 64 point one. Both would likely have scored more already last season without their injuries. It's for sure realistic for Eichel to score 65-70 in 82, but Laine would have to regress to only do 55-60.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This would be a tough one for Leafs fans.

On one hand, you all like to make Laine seem like hot trash compared to goldenboy Matthews, but on the other hand, you all like to make Eichel seem like hot trash compared to goldenboy Matthews.

:nod:

On the other hand we are all free willed and have our own opinions...:( It must be easy living in a world where all you need is one opinion to know how everyone thinks.

I chose Eichel, position bias mostly but if I had to build around one there would be no hesitation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad